What's for Dinner? (or supper, or lupper, or the last meal of the day)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-10-2012, 11:19 AM
RE: What's for Dinner? (or supper, or lupper, or the last meal of the day)
I have a ton of tomatoes. I'd like to use them to make spaghetti sauce and can it for the winter. Anyone have a good recipe for homemade pasta sauce?

......I'm lookin at you here Dom. Wink

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2012, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2012 12:10 PM by Dom.)
(05-10-2012 11:19 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I have a ton of tomatoes. I'd like to use them to make spaghetti sauce and can it for the winter. Anyone have a good recipe for homemade pasta sauce?

......I'm lookin at you here Dom. Wink

Well, I am lazy. I cook a ton of tomatoes in batches, cut up a bit to let the juices out so I don't need to add anything to prevent burning, until they are soft and separate from the skins (Doesn't take long. You can cheat and stick them in the micro for a few minutes, too). Then I put them through the vitamix, skins and all. Saves all the darn peeling... which is to me the main trouble, no matter how it is accomplished. Plus you use the skins and seeds and everything for better nutrition. If you don't have a vitamix or a blender that liquifies, then you can parboil and peel them and push them through a sieve to get the seeds out. Confused

Then I fry up onions, peppers (usually I have a mix of these from the garden, sweet and hot, use to taste), garlic and italian sausage. I like mostly the sausage, but sometimes I add ground beef and/or pork and/or even lamb. Add pepper and salt to taste at that time. Then I add mushrooms. I am nuts about mushrooms. I can eat mushrooms with anything. They are not actually part of the recipe, so leave them out if you want. If you do use them, now's the time so they soak up the flavor of the items you fry up.

Last I go out on the deck and cut the fresh herbs - whatever you like, I use oregano, lots of basil, parsley, chives and whatever turns me on. Lots of all of it, remember that fresh spices are not concentrated like dried ones.

Now I simmer it all until it has the consistency I like. Can take a looong time. The longer it takes, the better it tastes.

When it looks done to me I taste it and always end up adding more of the fresh herbs. They have better flavor when you add more last thing, but I also want the flavor infused during cooking, so I add them twice.

Don't ask me for amounts or times, I just cook, I don't measure anything. It just looks, tastes or feels right.

Pour over spaghetti and add some grated hard cheese - yum.

Or, take a zucchini that escaped and got too big, half it lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and toss, scoop out some of the meat, mix that with your spaghetti sauce, top with cheese and bake.

Or, cut baguettes or larger loaves of crusty white bread lengthwise, scoop out some of the inside and fill with spaghetti sauce and top with cheese and pepperoni slices. Bake. Drooling

What I don't eat I freeze in portions.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I,m like you. I don't measure stuff, I just taste.

I'm making it now. I knew you'd come to my rescue!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

05-10-2012, 01:08 PM
If the sauce turns out as good as it seems like it will, I have a ton of tomatoes from my inlaws. If I made a big batch, would you recommend freezing it, or canning? I can bring down the ph so I can just water bath can it, but it would be easier to vaccuum seal and freeze. Do you think freezing will take away from the consistency at all?

05-10-2012, 01:09 PM
(05-10-2012 12:20 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I,m like you. I don't measure stuff, I just taste.

I'm making it now. I knew you'd come to my rescue!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cool. I'll be doing that in a week or two, depending on the weather.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-10-2012, 03:17 PM
I made stuffed jalapenos today, randomly mixed recipes I found online with peppers I bought downtown. They were pretty good but no one else eats spicy food so I always have to eat them all myself.

My mom makes salsa and cans tomatoes. I always have to add stuff to the salsa because it's not spicy at all though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
05-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Holy crap that was the best spaghetti ever!!

Thanks Dom!!!

05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
(05-10-2012 03:54 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Holy crap that was the best spaghetti ever!!

Thanks Dom!!!

And this is why I wish I was born into your family, you can cook.

My parents can't, we either have take out, or I have to "cook". I am bad at cooking.

Time to order my buffalo wings.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
05-10-2012, 05:25 PM
(05-10-2012 05:05 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(05-10-2012 03:54 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Holy crap that was the best spaghetti ever!!

Thanks Dom!!!

And this is why I wish I was born into your family, you can cook.

My parents can't, we either have take out, or I have to "cook". I am bad at cooking.

Time to order my buffalo wings.

That's the beauty of cooking though man. You don't have to be a bad cook.

You obviously appreciate home cooked food, and that's really all you need. It makes you willing to learn. Just start by following simple recipes, and do it to the letter. They will turn out great, and after you've made the same dish several times, your inner cook will kick in. You'll think, "hmmmm, I love this chicken recipe, but I think it would be better with more lemon flavor" So you'll add some and either make the dish better or worse. And that my friend, is really all that separates a cook from someone who buys takeout all the time.

Tell ya what. If you want, I'll walk you through a home cooked meal that will be easy and awesome. It may whet yer whistle enough to start cooking more.

05-10-2012, 06:09 PM
(05-10-2012 01:08 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  If the sauce turns out as good as it seems like it will, I have a ton of tomatoes from my inlaws. If I made a big batch, would you recommend freezing it, or canning? I can bring down the ph so I can just water bath can it, but it would be easier to vaccuum seal and freeze. Do you think freezing will take away from the consistency at all?

It's fine frozen if you take all the air out. Keeps a long time that way. I have a little hand held thingie that sucks the air out of bags. Or, lay a sealable bag flat to get all the air out. I freeze the bags flat on a cookie sheet, so they fit easy and take up less space.