What's for Dinner? (or supper, or lupper, or the last meal of the day)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-04-2013, 03:39 PM
RE: What's for Dinner? (or supper, or lupper, or the last meal of the day)
(06-04-2013 03:29 PM)kim Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 03:25 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  There was too much cumin' in your mouth? No wonder it tasted weird.

And you would know this .... because...? Drinking Beverage

I keep cumin' in my kitchen. Sometimes it gets into what I'm cooking.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2013, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2013 07:56 PM by earmuffs.)
this is for dinner or at least I hope it turns out like that..

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
09-04-2013, 07:12 AM
When a recipe calls for sugar, don't use cheap honey as a substitute...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
16-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Shrimp avocado salad over noodles. Yummers!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
18-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Recently I've discovered the superfoods black rice and black chia seeds. Both are loaded with antioxidants and chia has one of the highest fiber/total carbohydrate ratios I've ever seen (like 90%) as well as a bunch of protein.

Here I've made black rice with chia seeds, sweet potato, scallions and ginger topped with a little EVOO. ... With a side order of sausage.

[Image: blackrice2.png]

This is not my signature.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Do you grind the seeds?
18-05-2013, 01:24 PM
(18-05-2013 01:09 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Do you grind the seeds?

Didn't even think of it the seeds are so damn tiny to begin with. What do you use it for ground? Guess I could see mixing it with flour for a high fiber bread or adding it as a thickener for soups or stir fry like a healthier corn starch. What do you use it for ground?

I am also interested in black rice bran. 1 tbls. of black rice bran has more anthocyanin antioxidants than a tbls. of blueberries but it takes 10 tbls. of the same amount of cooked black rice to get the same amount. I don't think extracting the bran is the same as grinding the rice, though. Think that just gives me black rice flour. Not sure I can even make the bran with home appliances.

18-05-2013, 01:37 PM
(18-05-2013 01:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-05-2013 01:09 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Do you grind the seeds?

Didn't even think of it the seeds are so damn tiny to begin with. What do you use it for ground? Guess I could see mixing it with flour for a high fiber bread or adding it as a thickener for soups or stir fry like a healthier corn starch. What do you use it for ground?

I am also interested in black rice bran. 1 tbls. of black rice bran has more anthocyanin antioxidants than a tbls. of blueberries but it takes 10 tbls. of the same amount of cooked black rice to get the same amount. I don't think extracting the bran is the same as grinding the rice, though. Think that just gives me black rice flour. Not sure I can even make the bran with home appliances.

I only asked because some seeds, such as flax, need to be ground or they pass right through and the benefits aren't received. I've never had chia seeds so I was curious if they were a seed that could be broken down or not. Smile
18-05-2013, 02:24 PM
(18-05-2013 01:37 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I only asked because some seeds, such as flax, need to be ground or they pass right through and the benefits aren't received. I've never had chia seeds so I was curious if they were a seed that could be broken down or not. Smile

Ah, I see. "Flaxseeds have a thick husk that cannot be digested, so they must be ground for your body to get at those nutrients. Chia can be eaten whole or ground."

18-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Add ground chia to your flour when you bread chicken fingers. Too much will ruin it, but about a sixth chia (one part chia, five parts flour) will do the trick. Awesomeness.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.