What's for Dinner? (or supper, or lupper, or the last meal of the day)

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
17-02-2016, 03:13 PM
RE: What did you eat today?
My gramps had a chicken named daisy. She used to sit on my lap and lay an egg there. She slept with the dog in the dog house, never in the chicken coop. She came when called and loved being petted.

He ate her one day! Weeping

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
17-02-2016, 03:14 PM
(17-02-2016 03:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  My gramps had a chicken named daisy. She used to sit on my lap and lay an egg there. She slept with the dog in the dog house, never in the chicken coop. She came when called and loved being petted.

No Undecided

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
17-02-2016, 05:18 PM
(17-02-2016 03:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  My gramps had a chicken named daisy. She used to sit on my lap and lay an egg there. She slept with the dog in the dog house, never in the chicken coop. She came when called and loved being petted.

Sad

Did you not know in advance that it would be food?

However, when we raised Holstein bucket calves I warned the kids not to name them as they would be freezer meat one day. They named them Oreo and S'more. I tried for Wellington and Bourguignon but they out voted me. lol

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
17-02-2016, 05:21 PM
[Image: kettle-brand-sea-salt-and-vinegar-bag-front.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
17-02-2016, 07:15 PM
(17-02-2016 05:18 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  

Sad

Did you not know in advance that it would be food?

However, when we raised Holstein bucket calves I warned the kids not to name them as they would be freezer meat one day. They named them Oreo and S'more. I tried for Wellington and Bourguignon but they out voted me. lol

I was 5 years old. Daisy did not live with the other chickens but with the dog and we used to go and have a big meal in my grandparent's back yard every Saturday, the huge extended family. The chicken was always a part of the party, people fed her from the table and she was like a family member, like the dog.

I wasn't the only one upset when he ate her, his 11 daughters were upset too. Most of the family was, including Gramma. Daisy wasn't regarded as "a chicken". She was everyone's buddy. She was special. And he had plenty of other chickens to eat. It wasn't like he needed her for food.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
17-02-2016, 07:32 PM
Also, I'm making homemade chicken soup right now.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
17-02-2016, 07:40 PM

When my sister was about 10 she wanted to get some rabbits for pets. Dad turned it into a science project where he tracked what color and fur length of babies resulted from which adults. The abundance of bunnies never seemed to be a problem as dad knew a 'farmer who would take them'.

We had one litter that became visitors to the house and we have photos of them on the shag carpet in the living room. They had names.

One night for supper there were three little bunnies floating in a bowl of gravy on the table. Rainbow Vomit Mom made something else for my sister and I (and herself, I think) to eat. My brother tried to be real tough and tried to act happy about the situation. When dad poked a fork into one of the pieces and said that it looked like Chauncey my sister burst into tears and ran from the table. My brother's lip trembled as he asked for the alternate entrée.

There can be no doubt as to why we are all a little twisted. Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
17-02-2016, 07:47 PM
That's why I'm vegan--I've had a variety of pets--ugh could not eat them No

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
17-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I draw a line between pets and meals.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
18-02-2016, 05:46 AM
(17-02-2016 08:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, I draw a line between pets and meals.

Yes, that line has to be a clear one. That was the issue. Gramps got an earful - 11 unhappy daughters. Can you even imagine?

Back to topic: Citrus fruit and pineapples are their best this season. I now snack on oranges, ruby red grapefruit (the sweet ones) and tangerines or mandarins. I love fresh fruit when it's in season and full of flavor.

Pineapples are great for cooking, too. I love them grilled. My mom used to make grilled sandwiches - cheese, ham, a slice of pineapple and mushrooms on top. I still have this occasionally. It's really good.