What's going to happen in the US?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2016, 08:48 PM
RE: What's going to happen in the US?
[Image: funny-pictures-assault-plumber.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-07-2016, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2016 08:58 PM by yakherder.)
Maybe crazy shit will happen, maybe it won't. I'll deal with it all the same. Best case scenario, I go about my business and grow old enough to die from growing old. Worst case scenario, resources become scarce enough that I have to start fending off raiders or forming my own raiding parties and, as with the way things are now with the possibility of deployment always on the horizon, I may end up dead in a ditch in some random 3rd world country. Whether it's Durkadurkastan or post collapse America, I can accept it. The end result is exactly the same. Live m life, encounter problems, deal with them, eventually die when I come across one I can't overcome. Dying of cancer or heart disease isn't any more pleasant than dying in a hail of gunfire.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
18-07-2016, 09:40 PM
(18-07-2016 03:37 PM)Banjo Wrote:  There is IMO a strong issue regarding the US Republic. All it needs is a leader to get the military and it can fall. Just as it did in Rome. Trump for example, had he the military, could be such a person.

During the time of the Republic in Rome, in time of desperate need, one man could be made dictator and hold this position for 6 months. A man named Cincinnatus did this. However with he, when the problem was rectified he immediately quit.

It later took Ilulias Caesar, with an army behind him, to march on Rome, create a civil war and declare himself dictator.

The American republic was formed on the Roman model. History repeats.

The USA, with it's heavily armed populace, is coming to a close. Perhaps between the next 50 to 100 years. Maybe sooner.

"The history of Rome is the history of the world"
Napoleon.

I disagree. Aside from the fact the American servicemen swear an oath to defend the Constitution, we have a long tradition of military noninvolvement in political affairs of state. That's not to say it can't happen, but I'd rate the possibility as extremely unlikely.
18-07-2016, 10:09 PM
(18-07-2016 09:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I disagree. Aside from the fact the American servicemen swear an oath to defend the Constitution, we have a long tradition of military noninvolvement in political affairs of state. That's not to say it can't happen, but I'd rate the possibility as extremely unlikely.

Scipio Africanus never imagined it either.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
18-07-2016, 10:22 PM
(18-07-2016 04:08 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I swore an oath to protect the country from all enemies, foreign or domestic.

I wonder who the enemy will be? Frightened, angry regular people? Or the ones giving orders to shoot citizens?
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
18-07-2016, 10:24 PM
(18-07-2016 04:08 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I swore an oath to protect the country from all enemies, foreign or domestic.

This allows for civil war. One of which you had not so long ago.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
18-07-2016, 10:40 PM
(18-07-2016 10:09 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(18-07-2016 09:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I disagree. Aside from the fact the American servicemen swear an oath to defend the Constitution, we have a long tradition of military noninvolvement in political affairs of state. That's not to say it can't happen, but I'd rate the possibility as extremely unlikely.

Scipio Africanus never imagined it either.

I am imagining it ... right now, as a matter of fact. I regard it as highly improbable for the time being, and we'll have to agree to disagree beyond that, I suppose.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
18-07-2016, 10:46 PM
(18-07-2016 10:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(18-07-2016 10:09 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Scipio Africanus never imagined it either.

I am imagining it ... right now, as a matter of fact. I regard it as highly improbable for the time being, and we'll have to agree to disagree beyond that, I suppose.

I just follow the path of history. What has happened in the past will happen again in the future. It is not an opinion as such. More a recognition of world history.

SPQR.

Didn't last.

Banjo.
18-07-2016, 11:10 PM
http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/martial_law.aspx

Never happened before, never going to happen.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
19-07-2016, 12:24 AM
(18-07-2016 10:46 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(18-07-2016 10:40 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I am imagining it ... right now, as a matter of fact. I regard it as highly improbable for the time being, and we'll have to agree to disagree beyond that, I suppose.

I just follow the path of history. What has happened in the past will happen again in the future. It is not an opinion as such. More a recognition of world history.

SPQR.

Didn't last.

History repeats, and the US empire will certainly fall; as a student of history myself, I'm well awares of the rise and fall of its tides.

That doesn't mean history repeats in a specific sequence, which is the basis of my disagreement. My experience in the culture and milieu of American military service leads me to believe your specific comparison won't be borne out. I'm comfortable with that opinion.

If you're not, you can perhaps give specific reasons, or you can reiterate your opinion yet again. But your appealing to abstract principle in the face of my practical experience does not convince me -- hence, we'll have to agree to disagree.

You obviously have your mind set on pontificating and not listening. I'll pay attention when you can bring facts to the table.