What's good for the gaggle is good for the geese: greater good vs self-interest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2014, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2014 02:39 PM by Buddy Christ.)
What's good for the gaggle is good for the geese: greater good vs self-interest
I was going to post a giant speech, shouted from a giant podium, before riding off on my giant horse, invoking Ayn Rand, Karl Marx, and George Orwell. Then I got a headache and realized it was 3 in the morning. So instead, being that collectivism vs individualism can be argued both ways, I figured I'd just start a game where you argue against the last post (the post above you), even if you don't agree with what you're saying.

Does the answer lie in selective collectivism? A gray area utilizing both in different situations? Individualism in regards to personal liberties and free will but collectivism in regards to community improvement (building great structures and maintaining public services) and protection?

I'm just wondering all this because I understand it to be a global standard that what benefits the community benefits the individuals of that community. If everyone acted purely on self-interest, the species would collapse. That led to the idea of capitalism vs communism. If community trumps individualism from a moral standpoint, how can capitalism lead to anything but individual suffering? Everyone eats vs some have too much while the rest starve.

Anyways, pick out anything of that mess above, argue against it, and let the game begin. I'm off to bed.

P.S. Yes I know the subject line saying is reversed.
P.P.S. It's on purpose.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2014, 06:51 AM
Re: What's good for the gander is good for the geese: greater good vs self-interest
I'll start by saying the expression of the title is inaccurately used. Not as in reverse, the expression actually means, what's good for women, is good for men. A gander is a male goose.

I'll say the complaints made by those in contrast to group efforts about personal liberty and freedom loss are exaggerated. Freedom arises from within ones mind and how they find the way to express their cognitive thoughts.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
10-01-2014, 02:39 PM
RE: What's good for the gander is good for the geese: greater good vs self-interest
(10-01-2014 06:51 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I'll start by saying the expression of the title is inaccurately used. Not as in reverse, the expression actually means, what's good for women, is good for men. A gander is a male goose.

I'll say the complaints made by those in contrast to group efforts about personal liberty and freedom loss are exaggerated. Freedom arises from within ones mind and how they find the way to express their cognitive thoughts.

FIXED! DAMN YOU POP CULTURE MISINFORMATION!

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
10-01-2014, 02:44 PM
RE: What's good for the gaggle is good for the geese: greater good vs self-interest
The gaggle IS the geese. The gaggle is a group of geese. An individual is a goose.
Now, what were you saying, Brian ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-01-2014, 10:32 PM
RE: What's good for the gaggle is good for the geese: greater good vs self-interest
What's good for the gander is gaggle for the gooses! Big Goose is watching!

[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
10-01-2014, 10:45 PM
(10-01-2014 10:32 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  What's good for the gander is gaggle for the gooses! Big Goose is watching!

[Image: 2539969990_43d83317e5_z.jpg]

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post