What's happening in your neck of the woods?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
08-01-2015, 11:42 AM
RE: What's happening in your neck of the woods?
Yes, Bill Gates is poo-pooing so I read at Huffington Post. The article says "Billionaire activist Bill Gates recently put his advocacy work where his mouth is when he drank a cup of water that was once human poop.

"The water tasted as good as any I’ve had out of a bottle," Gates wrote in a blog post on his eponymous site. "And having studied the engineering behind it, I would happily drink it every day. It’s that safe."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2015, 12:50 PM
(08-01-2015 06:14 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  More stingers in the water:
[Image: a75312b5-4973-4953-8eb4-ebaa363b016b-bes...lable.jpeg]
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-new...m-surf-nsw

(Ok, this isn't quite in my neighbourhood but I have driven past it on my way to Sydney)

"The snake only strikes when it feels threatened" and it only feels threatened when people are around right?

I'd go back to Australia if it wasn't for...like...everything.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
08-01-2015, 05:10 PM
(08-01-2015 12:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(08-01-2015 06:14 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  More stingers in the water:
[Image: a75312b5-4973-4953-8eb4-ebaa363b016b-bes...lable.jpeg]
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-new...m-surf-nsw

(Ok, this isn't quite in my neighbourhood but I have driven past it on my way to Sydney)

"The snake only strikes when it feels threatened" and it only feels threatened when people are around right?

“[Australia] is the home of the largest living thing on earth, the Great Barrier Reef, and of the largest monolith, Ayers Rock (or Uluru to use its now-official, more respectful Aboriginal name). It has more things that will kill you than anywhere else. Of the world's ten most poisonous snakes, all are Australian. Five of its creatures - the funnel web spider, box jellyfish, blue-ringed octopus, paralysis tick, and stonefish - are the most lethal of their type in the world. This is a country where even the fluffiest of caterpillars can lay you out with a toxic nip, where seashells will not just sting you but actually sometimes go for you. ... If you are not stung or pronged to death in some unexpected manner, you may be fatally chomped by sharks or crocodiles, or carried helplessly out to sea by irresistible currents, or left to stagger to an unhappy death in the baking outback. It's a tough place.”
― Bill Bryson, In a Sunburned Country

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-01-2015, 11:12 PM
(08-01-2015 05:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-01-2015 12:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  "The snake only strikes when it feels threatened" and it only feels threatened when people are around right?

“[Australia] is the home of the largest living thing on earth, the Great Barrier Reef, and of the largest monolith, Ayers Rock (or Uluru to use its now-official, more respectful Aboriginal name). It has more things that will kill you than anywhere else. Of the world's ten most poisonous snakes, all are Australian. Five of its creatures - the funnel web spider, box jellyfish, blue-ringed octopus, paralysis tick, and stonefish - are the most lethal of their type in the world. This is a country where even the fluffiest of caterpillars can lay you out with a toxic nip, where seashells will not just sting you but actually sometimes go for you. ... If you are not stung or pronged to death in some unexpected manner, you may be fatally chomped by sharks or crocodiles, or carried helplessly out to sea by irresistible currents, or left to stagger to an unhappy death in the baking outback. It's a tough place.”
― Bill Bryson, In a Sunburned Country

I forgot that passage. I’ve read that book and his ‘A Walk in the Woods’, funny guy that Bryson.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
15-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Stormtrooper saved from king brown snake bite by armor:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-15/st...te/6018338

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
15-01-2015, 09:54 PM
(15-01-2015 10:33 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Stormtrooper saved from king brown snake bite by armor:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-15/st...te/6018338

What a cool story. Maybe stormtrooper chin guards will become all the rage in Australia now.

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
16-01-2015, 02:31 PM
Portland Oregon airport carpeting is being replaced! Our airport carpeting apparently has always been quite popular over the years and travelers seem to love it. There are socks, pillows and all kinds of products with the Portland airport carpeting design on it. There's also a beer with the carpet logo on the label and inspired by the airport carpeting.

Here's a foot selfie. People take carpet foot selfies all the time at the airport.

[Image: 062-portland-airport.jpg?w=640&h=480]

A tatoo

[Image: bb9158157dbc816b7378475a82cf843b_1.jpg?itok=LSZZAzdM]

A shirt

[Image: 16713650-standard.jpg]

A pillow

[Image: 986147401fbba9a07dc9dd99e8635739.jpg]

Well, you get my drift. So here's the new airport carpeting.

[Image: 16713796-standard.jpg]

People around here are upset but I like the new design too. Oh, and they're selling the old carpeting to anyone who want a piece of it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-01-2015, 03:04 PM
(16-01-2015 02:31 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well, you get my drift. So here's the new airport carpeting.

Looks like "A" for atheist everywhere!
Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
16-01-2015, 03:19 PM
http://freebeacon.com/issues/muslim-lead...-in-texas/

So, yeah, Islamic conference to be held in the town where I work. In fact, I drive very near the venue on my commute each workday. Quite thankful that I don't have to work tomorrow. According to radio reports there is quite the opposition planned. Bikers and others are showing up to protest.

Conference is being held at a location owned by a school district.

Should be interesting. Yeesh...

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
16-01-2015, 04:46 PM
(16-01-2015 03:04 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(16-01-2015 02:31 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well, you get my drift. So here's the new airport carpeting.

Looks like "A" for atheist everywhere!
Thumbsup

Oh wow, I didn't think of an "A" for atheist. It looks more like a sailboat or something. But now that you mention it......Consider

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.