What's happening in your neck of the woods?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
04-04-2016, 07:41 PM
RE: What's happening in your neck of the woods?
(04-04-2016 06:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  Five freakin' inches of snow. Angry

Was nearly 90 degrees here today...not ready for June weather quite yet. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2016, 10:35 AM
Well I guess someone must have mentioned that Cru (formerly Campus Crusade for Christ) is bringing in an anti-evolution speaker next Monday. I came in today to grade papers on the weekend to see a sign that wasn't there last night (and already defaced by today) on the public cork board about how Freedom From Religion Foundation has a lawyer coming to speak on May 2nd.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
09-04-2016, 01:39 PM
(09-04-2016 10:35 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Well I guess someone must have mentioned that Cru (formerly Campus Crusade for Christ) is bringing in an anti-evolution speaker next Monday. I came in today to grade papers on the weekend to see a sign that wasn't there last night (and already defaced by today) on the public cork board about how Freedom From Religion Foundation has a lawyer coming to speak on May 2nd.

Formerly Campus Crusade for Christ? And then what? They decided to be more hip?

Shoulda just shortened it to Crud.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
09-04-2016, 06:00 PM
(09-04-2016 01:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  Formerly Campus Crusade for Christ? And then what? They decided to be more hip?
Shoulda just shortened it to Crud.
I love you. (Or that may be the nausea medication talking.) Tongue

In all seriousness, I've never been a fan of the group. Of course, the last time I dealt directly with them was during grad school, and the chapter on that campus was thanking God for smiting a nun with cancer and praying for the Catholic Student Association and the campus Pagan group to be smited as well.

As for the overall organization and your question. It's been my understanding that they wanted to rebrand themselves, because on a lot of campuses they were already being called the abbreviated name by members. Part of the desire for that rebrand, and I double checked Christianity Today, loathe as I am to give it page views, was driven by the term "crusade" having evangelistic qualities in the 1950s with Billy Graham and others launching them, but now mostly being associated with The Crusades and they didn't want to be associated with bloody religious wars and forced conversions. (Ironic...) However, in the meantime, they also dropped Campus and Christ from the name; back when they changed it in 2011 they made "thou doth protest too much" protestations that they hadn't intentionally taken Christ out of the name because of popularity reasons.

09-04-2016, 11:51 PM
The guy says in the article that Cru was better because "some people might be initially turned off with Christ in the name" Rolleyes So they're *literally* trying to tell a little lie just so that they can hook people. Dirty fuckers.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-04-2016, 11:46 AM
(09-04-2016 11:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  The guy says in the article that Cru was better because "some people might be initially turned off with Christ in the name" Rolleyes So they're *literally* trying to tell a little lie just so that they can hook people. Dirty fuckers.

Hardly going to disagree with you about that. If one's going to try and get people involved in a religion, be forthright about it. That trickery is much like the anti-evolution speaker they're bringing in tomorrow on campus; in no place do they specify he's a Creationist or this will be blatantly anti-evolution on the flier. They just give the website in super small print, that if followed, goes to the "Creation Education Center of Wisconsin".

[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
10-04-2016, 12:46 PM
(09-04-2016 11:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  The guy says in the article that Cru was better because "some people might be initially turned off with Christ in the name" Rolleyes So they're *literally* trying to tell a little lie just so that they can hook people. Dirty fuckers.

Hmmm.... Consider so they want people who're turned off by Christ. Interesting....

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
10-04-2016, 12:50 PM
(10-04-2016 12:46 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  

Hmmm.... Consider so they want people who're turned off by Christ. Interesting....

Christ turns you on?

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-04-2016, 12:55 PM
(10-04-2016 12:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-04-2016 12:46 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Hmmm.... Consider so they want people who're turned off by Christ. Interesting....

Christ turns you on?

No, though I do imagine myself with imaginary people I don't do that with dead ones. Tongue

That's not what I meant anyway. I just found it interesting they would say that they didn't want to turn people off by mentioning what their group was for. Are they ashamed of their christman? Seems counterproductive to me. Shouldn't they be promoting their god/savior and shunning those who would criticize him?

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
10-04-2016, 01:10 PM
(10-04-2016 12:55 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(10-04-2016 12:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  Christ turns you on?

No, though I do imagine myself with imaginary people I don't do that with dead ones. Tongue

That's not what I meant anyway. I just found it interesting they would say that they didn't want to turn people off by mentioning what their group was for. Are they ashamed of their christman? Seems counterproductive to me. Shouldn't they be promoting their god/savior and shunning those who would criticize him?

I think they're like those people you invite over for drinks who try to sell you stuff halfway through the evening.

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post