What's happening in your neck of the woods?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
06-10-2016, 07:37 AM
RE: What's happening in your neck of the woods?
(06-10-2016 07:34 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(06-10-2016 07:26 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  HURRICANE MATTHEW:

I have batten down the hatches, brought as much inside as possible, closed most of the shutters, trimmed the trees, hoarded water and food and charged all my devices. Now we wait.

At this hour I don’t think the winds will be a big problem, tonight we may get 40-50 mph tops, it’s the surge that scares the shit out of me. Our island is only a few feet above mean sea level and while our house is on stilts 9 feet above MSL the roads in and out could become impassable. The cars would be lost and all else stored on the ground floor. Undecided

Looks like I might spend my 27th wedding anniversary tomorrow cleaning up debris. If you don't hear from me it means we lost power.

[Image: HurTrack1.gif]

I hope you come out of it OK!

Thanks, me too.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Boat is on dry land now on a trailer?
06-10-2016, 07:41 AM
(06-10-2016 07:26 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  HURRICANE MATTHEW:

I have batten down the hatches, brought as much inside as possible, closed most of the shutters, trimmed the trees, hoarded water and food and charged all my devices. Now we wait.

At this hour I don’t think the winds will be a big problem, tonight we may get 40-50 mph tops, it’s the surge that scares the shit out of me. Our island is only a few feet above mean sea level and while our house is on stilts 9 feet above MSL the roads in and out could become impassable. The cars would be lost and all else stored on the ground floor. Undecided

Looks like I might spend my 27th wedding anniversary tomorrow cleaning up debris. If you don't hear from me it means we lost power.

[Image: HurTrack1.gif]

Shee-it.

Hold on tight there!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
06-10-2016, 07:46 AM
(06-10-2016 07:39 AM)skyking Wrote:  Boat is on dry land now on a trailer?

We have a lift, it looks like this (image from web)

[Image: neptune4post2.jpg]

I have strapped the boat to the runners below to keep the boat from being blown off the lift by the wind and then I raised it as far at it will go. The tide could come up some five or six feet before it would float the boat, at that point I would have much bigger problems than the boat.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-10-2016, 08:05 AM
The scariest part is that this hurricane may not only hit the State once but TWICE!

A few models have this monster looping back around for a second go at whatever it may have left standing the first time. Angry

06-10-2016, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2016 02:03 PM by Full Circle.)
3:41 PM local.

First heavy band of wind and rain just coming in. Sky a deep, dark gray.
High tide this afternoon around 6 PM. That will be the problem.

House nearly blacked out, meaning almost all accordion shutters closed, if the power goes out we’ll be tripping over our big, black dogs.

Here we go.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Rada...n=USFL0244

06-10-2016, 02:04 PM
(06-10-2016 01:43 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  3:41 PM local.

House nearly blacked out, meaning almost all accordion shutters closed, if the power goes out we’ll be tripping over our big, black dogs.

Here we go.

Eeek Sadcryface

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-10-2016, 02:05 PM

Here we go.

[Image: layer.png]

Possibly evacuating. Dodgy Wish me luck finding a hotel to accommodate me with two birds and a dog when 2 million other people are trying to get into a room, too.

Stay safe, FC.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
06-10-2016, 02:05 PM

Here we go.

Stay safe my friend.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-10-2016, 04:27 PM
(06-10-2016 02:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

Here we go.

[Image: layer.png]

Possibly evacuating. Dodgy Wish me luck finding a hotel to accommodate me with two birds and a dog when 2 million other people are trying to get into a room, too.

Stay safe, FC.

Fuck. If I wasn't a member of this forum I could just think "Damn, those guys over there getting rained on are unlucky"... now it's personal. Sad

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post