What's happening in your neck of the woods?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
06-10-2016, 07:21 PM
RE: What's happening in your neck of the woods?
(06-10-2016 05:42 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Well, I get to spend the night in my own place. I called the emergency management line and worked out an escape route and a last resort time to leave and still be safe. There is a shelter that accepts pets, so I'm going to head there as soon as it becomes clear that I can't remain at home any longer. Half my neighborhood has already evacuated, so that's probably the best route for me to take as well. I have no shutters and I'm surrounded by idiotic neighbors who have apparently never been through a hurricane before. Lawn ornaments, planters, patio furniture, and even loose bricks are still out. Idiots.

The news is saying that we will be losing power and the roads will probably not be able to be driven on until the debris gets cleared away. Shelter says to plan to stay for a few days. And there will be no power, which means no AC, and of course there will be no showers. And there will be lots of pets.

Aliza please let us know how you are. Keep you and yours safe, find the high ground and a well built structure. This storm is no joke.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
06-10-2016, 07:42 PM
So a lot of my neighborhood is composed of northerners who, I would trust completely to help me prep for a blizzard, but who are totally worthless for prepping for a hurricane. Those of us who are Floridians or who have been through hurricanes in the past are taking this storm very seriously. Much of my neighborhood has evacuated, and that is my plan as well. The meteorologist who lives down the street posted on our neighborhood boards that he and his family are evacuating, and I kind of trust him, the governor, the county officials and the emergency volunteers who are managing this situation.

But there are some people in my neighborhood who are advocating (and I am not making this up) the “Pray and Stay” route. Somehow, they believe that by getting enough likes on the neighborhood FB page, they are justified in their decision. With enough community support, we will be able to successfully repel the storm and flood waters. Facepalm

The stupid! It burns! I don't have to leave for a few more hours, but I'm getting the fuck out dodge.
[+] 8 users Like Aliza's post
06-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Aliza do stay safe!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-10-2016, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2016 10:45 AM by Full Circle.)
I’m anxiously awaiting to hear back from Aliza.

As for me and mine we are unscathed. The eye of the storm stayed far enough east* that it was a non-event here in the Keys (except for the worrying and preparation).

Now to see if the damn things loops around and makes a second pass. Thanks to all for your concern.

[Image: pie.gif]

St. Augustine, Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston are in it’s sights now.

*corrected for brainfartedness

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
07-10-2016, 07:40 AM
Gasp

Holy fuck. The Good Lord does not mess about when it comes to Florida. What *have* you bastards been up to between the sheets?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
07-10-2016, 07:47 AM
Just got on to check on you guys. So glad u r ok, FC. Hope all is well with Aliza.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
07-10-2016, 08:48 AM
(07-10-2016 07:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  Gasp

Holy fuck. The Good Lord does not mess about when it comes to Florida. What *have* you bastards been up to between the sheets?

I wonder if this is what it means when someone says, "We've been fuckin' up a storm." Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
07-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Power is up! .... For now. It's been flickering all morning. The storm moved abt 50 miles away from shore, which means the winds that affect my area will be below 120 mph. I supposedly have hurricane windows which are rated up to 120 mph, so my home is safe to stay in. I did decide to stay, and I hope I made the right move because it's too late to leave now. Bridges are closed and county officials are telling everyone to hunker down and stay put.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
07-10-2016, 09:17 AM
Stay safe down there Aliza and FC!!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
07-10-2016, 10:06 AM
(07-10-2016 07:26 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m anxiously awaiting to hear back from Aliza.

As for me and mine we are unscathed. The eye of the storm stayed far enough west that it was a non-event here in the Keys (except for the worrying and preparation).

By "west" do you mean "east"?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post