What's happening in your neck of the woods?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
07-10-2016, 10:43 AM
RE: What's happening in your neck of the woods?
(07-10-2016 10:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-10-2016 07:26 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m anxiously awaiting to hear back from Aliza.

As for me and mine we are unscathed. The eye of the storm stayed far enough west that it was a non-event here in the Keys (except for the worrying and preparation).

By "west" do you mean "east"?

Facepalm of course. Brain fart, let me fix that.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2016, 12:07 PM
90 mph winds over here. I have no idea how I have any power or connectivity at all, but I won't stare a gift horse in the mouth. One tree is down, but it's a small one. Otherwise, everything is in good shape (so far).
[+] 8 users Like Aliza's post
07-10-2016, 12:48 PM
(07-10-2016 12:07 PM)Aliza Wrote:  90 mph winds over here. I have no idea how I have any power or connectivity at all, but I won't stare a gift horse in the mouth. One tree is down, but it's a small one. Otherwise, everything is in good shape (so far).

Stay safe Aliza and I'm glad you've stilll got power.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Well, it looks like I made it through this storm in one piece. Couple of minor repairs, no big deal. Yay for buried wires! Power in South Florida generally goes out with the first few gusts of wind and doesn't come back up for at least a week. I know I owe it all to the many prayers everyone sent up to Jesus. Thanks guys!

My house is situated 1/2 mile from the estuary waters and was just narrowly part of the voluntary evacuation zone rather than the mandatory one. Apparently that 1/2 mile made all the difference because my immediate neighborhood did not suffer any flooding. Not sure how extensive the flooding was along the rest of the coastline, but I’ve learned from the news that my town where I like to shop and hang out is under several feet of water. All the bridges are closed, there are down power lines in the roads. A nearby section of A1A got washed out (that’s the road that runs alongside the Atlantic Ocean.) Guess I'll just sit tight for a few days (with my electricity, cable, internet and running water!)
[+] 8 users Like Aliza's post
07-10-2016, 07:58 PM
(07-10-2016 07:36 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Well, it looks like I made it through this storm in one piece. Couple of minor repairs, no big deal. Yay for buried wires! Power in South Florida generally goes out with the first few gusts of wind and doesn't come back up for at least a week. I know I owe it all to the many prayers everyone sent up to Jesus. Thanks guys!

My house is situated 1/2 mile from the estuary waters and was just narrowly part of the voluntary evacuation zone rather than the mandatory one. Apparently that 1/2 mile made all the difference because my immediate neighborhood did not suffer any flooding. Not sure how extensive the flooding was along the rest of the coastline, but I’ve learned from the news that my town where I like to shop and hang out is under several feet of water. All the bridges are closed, there are down power lines in the roads. A nearby section of A1A got washed out (that’s the road that runs alongside the Atlantic Ocean.) Guess I'll just sit tight for a few days (with my electricity, cable, internet and running water!)

Oh no, I hope you have enough peanut butter Gasp Tongue So glad u r okay and didn't have any major damage to your property.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Glad you made it through safe Aliza!

Here in Cheeseland, Paul Ryan just told Trump not to come to his big rally tomorrow, following the tape that came out of Trump's disgusting comments about grabbing women in a certain private area.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
07-10-2016, 10:02 PM
(07-10-2016 08:13 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Glad you made it through safe Aliza!

Here in Cheeseland, Paul Ryan just told Trump not to come to his big rally tomorrow, following the tape that came out of Trump's disgusting comments about grabbing women in a certain private area.

Just when you don't think there is another "depth" that Trump hasn't "plumbed". Facepalm
08-10-2016, 07:53 PM
(07-10-2016 10:02 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(07-10-2016 08:13 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Glad you made it through safe Aliza!

Just when you don't think there is another "depth" that Trump hasn't "plumbed". Facepalm

Quite. x.x Also something seemingly overlooked in the same audio for being less...I'm not sure the word. Is that he tried at one point to pick up the woman co-hosting, and thus tried to cheat on his 3rd wife.

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
19-10-2016, 02:15 PM
My college and thirteen others (including one I went to for early courses) are on strike now.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio.../92400382/

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
19-10-2016, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2016 10:35 AM by Shai Hulud.)
(19-10-2016 02:15 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  My college and thirteen others (including one I went to for early courses) are on strike now.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio.../92400382/

Sorry it's impacting you. I have a number of friends still in doc programs back there who are worried about their dissertations, and also a number of friends and former colleagues out there unpaid on the picket lines. From what I've heard, APSCUF kept negotiating until 4:59am this morning, though PASSHE refused to do so, despite the union offering millions of dollars worth of concessions, especially in health care, after working for 477 days without a contract. Pretty wild stuff going on with the state system wanting to cut adjunct and TA pay and increase class sizes, have up to 1/3 of the faculty be adjuncts, have people teach things they don't have degrees in, etc.