What's happening in your neck of the woods?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
12-06-2017, 11:54 PM
RE: What's happening in your neck of the woods?
(12-06-2017 05:47 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Just watched a YouTube clip from a local (very Right) leaning news channel with a woman at the zoning meeting asking "what if a convicted terrorist" was on the mosque's board.

Ironically enough, "convicted Christian" is used in a positive sense Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
14-06-2017, 03:05 PM
(12-06-2017 11:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 05:47 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Just watched a YouTube clip from a local (very Right) leaning news channel with a woman at the zoning meeting asking "what if a convicted terrorist" was on the mosque's board.

Ironically enough, "convicted Christian" is used in a positive sense Dodgy

Probably so...also update, one member of the village Board has gotten some thinly veiled threats from the good, white, Christian (presumably) folk of his constituency over his stance that they shouldn't illegally discriminate against the mosque, and his citation of cases elsewhere where this sort of thing has gone on and only resulted in wasted taxpayer money and a mosque built.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
14-06-2017, 05:57 PM
The wood ticks are abating. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
14-06-2017, 06:37 PM
I took a bunch of bee pictures today Smile We had honeybees, sweat bees, bumblebees, and a carpenter bee on our catmint and salvia.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
06-07-2017, 09:22 AM
I came into the office to throw out an empty soda bottle before I leave town, and picked up a newspaper on the way up. It's not just my imagination, the people around here are super touchy about the police (in favor of). Above the fold, top headline, is about the anger from people about portable toilets being near the "public safety monument" and how it's, "disrespectful" and "a slap in the face to all those who serve this community".

Edit: And yes, I don't think all cops are bad, I know a number personally, given my profession. But they don't deserve blind worship and adoration either. If you ask my friend J., for instance, he'll just say it's a job, and when he gets to help people, it's a good one. He doesn't expect anything of it. All that said, these same people who are so upset that a portable toilet would be placed in the only open area available in a park on Independence Day, were not also upset when a local cop shot an unarmed black teenager in the back.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2017, 12:01 PM
(06-07-2017 09:22 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I came into the office to throw out an empty soda bottle before I leave town, and picked up a newspaper on the way up. It's not just my imagination, the people around here are super touchy about the police (in favor of). Above the fold, top headline, is about the anger from people about portable toilets being near the "public safety monument" and how it's, "disrespectful" and "a slap in the face to all those who serve this community".

Edit: And yes, I don't think all cops are bad, I know a number personally, given my profession. But they don't deserve blind worship and adoration either. If you ask my friend J., for instance, he'll just say it's a job, and when he gets to help people, it's a good one. He doesn't expect anything of it. All that said, these same people who are so upset that a portable toilet would be placed in the only open area available in a park on Independence Day, were not also upset when a local cop shot an unarmed black teenager in the back.

Should try having a seat during the national anthem...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-07-2017, 03:35 AM
(14-06-2017 03:05 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 11:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  Ironically enough, "convicted Christian" is used in a positive sense Dodgy

Probably so...also update, one member of the village Board has gotten some thinly veiled threats from the good, white, Christian (presumably) folk of his constituency over his stance that they shouldn't illegally discriminate against the mosque, and his citation of cases elsewhere where this sort of thing has gone on and only resulted in wasted taxpayer money and a mosque built.

Well, that's what he gets for being sensible instead of a ignorant, pandering, shill I guess.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
08-07-2017, 02:32 AM
It's 4:30 a.m. here and rain is pattering on my roof. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
08-07-2017, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2017 08:25 AM by Fireball.)
It was 105º (F) yesterday, and it's 70º outside already. Gonna be another scorcher.
Correction. It is now 75º. Dodgy
08-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Doing some yard work this morning, glanced over and noticed a headless chicken laying in the neighbor's front yard.

Huh.

It's still there now, I'm assuming they haven't seen it. I really want to go over and tell them about it, also assuming they didn't put it there, but we've been here for over two years and have only spoken when I first introduced myself after moving in. So I'm just sitting here on my porch looking at it and wondering why the fuck there is a headless chicken laying in their yard.

Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post