What's happening in your neck of the woods?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
17-07-2017, 07:36 AM
RE: What's happening in your neck of the woods?
A baby raccoon has been coming to my back door for the past three weeks in search of food. I've been giving it table scraps. It has stolen my crows' food a couple of times. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2017, 02:50 PM
(17-07-2017 07:36 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  A baby raccoon has been coming to my back door for the past three weeks in search of food. I've been giving it table scraps. It has stolen my crows' food a couple of times. Smile

You will regret this, no good deed goes unpunished when it comes to these bandits.

[Image: 627]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
18-07-2017, 03:43 PM
(18-07-2017 02:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 07:36 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  A baby raccoon has been coming to my back door for the past three weeks in search of food. I've been giving it table scraps. It has stolen my crows' food a couple of times. Smile

You will regret this, no good deed goes unpunished when it comes to these bandits.

I never (deliberately) feed raccoons. They do quite well with stealing the ripening fruit from my fruit trees, raiding bird feeders ( and nests, if they can reach them) and my compost bin when the wind blows the lid off. I have raccoon-proofed the back porch door with a latch they can't open, and added a storm door to the garage back door. All windows close to ledges are locked at night, because I don't even want to think about the damage they could do inside the house.

One of my "brilliant" nephews told me that he was letting his kids hand-feed the raccoons behind his house. I pointed out a few unpleasant facts:
1. Raccoons can bite with little or no provocation, and can carry rabies, leptospirosis, and roundworms that can infect humans and pets.
2. If a raccoon bites, you can catch it, cut off its head, and take the head to a vet to be examined for rabies. If the test is positive, then you get to take a series of painful injections which may not be covered by health insurance, or has super high co-pays.
3. Or you can not catch and kill the raccoon, and take the shots anyway. Or you can play Raccoon Roulette, betting that the raccoon was just being irritable and not taking the shots. Of course, if you are wrong, you die, since there is no treatment for rabies once the symptoms become obvious.
4. And I added for my nephew's consideration: "And no, I don't have a spare $10k to pay for the shots if one of your kids gets bitten. So unless you have really good health insurance, ..." (Which, of course, he didn't.)
He gave it some thought and decided to get a dog to chase the raccoons out of the yard. I reminded him that the dog needed regular rabies shots. He asked me for money to pay for the shots. {sigh}
[+] 4 users Like Rockblossom's post
18-07-2017, 03:53 PM
(18-07-2017 03:43 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  2. If a raccoon bites, you can catch it, cut off its head, and take the head to a vet to be examined for rabies. If the test is positive, then you get to take a series of painful injections which may not be covered by health insurance, or has super high co-pays.

There you go, that’s it in a nutshell.

creepy and disturbing but go a head and click...
[Image: 5245226210_bbc5e6c247_b.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
24-07-2017, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2017 09:18 AM by CleverUsername.)
There was a tornado watch, huge thunderstorm, and flash flooding at around four today.

The amusement park I work in shut down early. The rain had stopped, but most people had left and I think there was still some worry it'd start again. There was water so deep you couldn't see you shoes when you walked in it surrounding the stand I was in and covering huge chunks of the road/path through the place for an hour or so.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
25-07-2017, 02:03 AM
(18-07-2017 02:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

> The raccoon is bigger now and its visits less frequent. It came around yesterday morning. I gave it some stale bread and apple cores.
25-07-2017, 05:25 AM
Armed home invasion a mile away from my house! (although something sounds a little fishy in the story to me). Three guys with a knife forced their way into a house at 9:30 a.m., tied up the teenage babysitter, stole a gold chain, and left.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
25-07-2017, 07:09 AM
(25-07-2017 02:03 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 02:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You will regret this, no good deed goes unpunished when it comes to these bandits.

> The raccoon is bigger now and its visits less frequent. It came around yesterday morning. I gave it some stale bread and apple cores.

You might survive the encounter after all. Tongue

25-07-2017, 07:21 AM
(25-07-2017 05:25 AM)julep Wrote:  Armed home invasion a mile away from my house! (although something sounds a little fishy in the story to me). Three guys with a knife forced their way into a house at 9:30 a.m., tied up the teenage babysitter, stole a gold chain, and left.

Fishy how? Maybe babysitter involved somehow ?

"Armed home invasion" Them's three scary words.

25-07-2017, 07:23 AM
Mini-lobster season...the Mother of All Clusterfucks in the Florida Keys. July 26-27

Imagine rolling up the celebration of Independence Day, the drunkenness of New Years, the ignorance of Snow Birds, the aggressiveness of Spring Breakers, the lawlessness of pirates with the craziness of Halloween and voila! Mini-lobster season!

Great. Dodgy Just fucking great. Weeping

Already this week http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/co...42454.html out of State bozos got nailed for poaching in a big way. Who knows how many don’t get caught. This is why we can’t have nice things.

[Image: lobsterbust1]

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post