What's in your religious book collection?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 08:26 AM
What's in your religious book collection?
I'm talking specifically about Bibles, Qur'ans, copies of the Vedas, etc, and other various religious indoctrination material, not atheist or academic books on comparative religion or anything like that.

I've got:
an old King James Bible that I got from my Sunday School class in like 4th grade. It's the Jimmy Swaggart Reference Edition, so I'm guessing he adds a lot of commentary to the parts about sex and dudes sleeping around with their multiple mistresses.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis - given to me by my sister. I still fail to understand why so many Christians are persuaded by his weak arguments. It's really an awful book. I keep it on my shelf for the lulz.

Two of those tiny Gideon New Testament Bibles. I picked up a bunch of them from the people passing them out at the county fair. My friends and I made a game out of seeing how many we could collect before the people would recognize us. We ended up with like 20 Bibles, and stashed them under the bleachers. Fun times.

An NIV Bible from my parents - I've had it for as long as I can remember, so it's looking pretty ragged now. I keep it for its sentimental value, since this was the book that helped make me an atheist. Thanks, mom and dad, I did get some value out of it. lol

Another NIV that this nice old lady across the street gave to me when she moved away. I was like 9 at the time, and she used to let me play in her front yard, so I guess I kept it for sentimental value, too.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2015, 08:32 AM
RE: What's in your religious book collection?
(19-01-2015 08:26 AM)cactus Wrote:  I'm talking specifically about Bibles, Qur'ans, copies of the Vedas, etc, and other various religious indoctrination material, not atheist or academic books on comparative religion or anything like that.

I've got:
an old King James Bible that I got from my Sunday School class in like 4th grade. It's the Jimmy Swaggart Reference Edition, so I'm guessing he adds a lot of commentary to the parts about sex and dudes sleeping around with their multiple mistresses.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis - given to me by my sister. I still fail to understand why so many Christians are persuaded by his weak arguments. It's really an awful book. I keep it on my shelf for the lulz.

Two of those tiny Gideon New Testament Bibles. I picked up a bunch of them from the people passing them out at the county fair. My friends and I made a game out of seeing how many we could collect before the people would recognize us. We ended up with like 20 Bibles, and stashed them under the bleachers. Fun times.

An NIV Bible from my parents - I've had it for as long as I can remember, so it's looking pretty ragged now. I keep it for its sentimental value, since this was the book that helped make me an atheist. Thanks, mom and dad, I did get some value out of it. lol

Another NIV that this nice old lady across the street gave to me when she moved away. I was like 9 at the time, and she used to let me play in her front yard, so I guess I kept it for sentimental value, too.

I have multiple bibles to include NIV, KJV, and several antique copies.

The catholic study bible

the skeptics annotated bible

the noble quran

book of mormon

as well as around 150 or so academic/research/christian theology/christian doctrine type books, all of hitchens written work, and about 20 other atheist authored books...considering our personal library is well over 6,000 books (wife's life long obsession in books) that is a small number relating to this field of study. Just two shelves worth Smartass

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
19-01-2015, 08:56 AM
I collect all Le Carre novels, religiously. Wink

Yup, the usual stuff... Quran, bible, Karen Armstrong's History of God etc.

I had about $3,000 worth of books destroyed by rain water a couple of years ago so a lot were reduced to lumps of pulp.

My Orwell, Hitchens, Dawkins, Dennett and AC Grayling all survived the great flood (unaided by an ark).

What does that tell us?

It must be a sign.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-01-2015, 11:36 AM
I've got an esv bible, with humorous annotations courtesy of me.
19-01-2015, 11:37 AM
I actualy got ridd of all of this shit, with the exception of some books by Hans Kühn.

There are several bools that are simply more worthy of that space.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Germans are coming's post
19-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Yeah, unless you were keeping illuminated manuscripts, I can't imagine keeping copies around. I have a footnoted copy of the Tanakh, and that's about it.

Unless you count 'The Silmarillion.' Big Grin

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
20-01-2015, 08:33 AM
  • Bibles
    • King James Version
    • Douay Version
    • Easy to Read Version
  • Lee Strobel
    • The Case for Christ
    • The Case for Faith
  • Jesus Outside the New Testament by Robert E. Van Voorst
  • Father Smith Instructs Jackson by John Francis Noll
  • Search and Rescue by Patrick Madrid (this actually belongs to my wife)

Sapere aude
20-01-2015, 10:04 AM
I have the bible I was "issued" in church when I turned 13 and became a member by default (I was already atheist but kept going to Sunday school for free cookies), a bible written in Chinese I use mostly for study purposes, and some Taoist stuff.

Also the Prose Edda, Poetic Edda, and Gesta Danorum. Not sure if those count as religious texts, but I use them as references for Norse paganism, which I half heartedly practice as an alternative to Pastafarianism.

'Murican Canadian
20-01-2015, 11:28 AM
The only one that I've kept is this little gem.

[Image: 731071.jpg]

I do have somewhere my dad's bible....I keep it only for dates of when his parents were born and died....tho. I also have my great-grandmother's bible in Norwegian. At least I used to have it....I might have actually tossed it.

I used to have that book -- some stupid family member sent it to me anonymously

[Image: 41UqpjBsQWL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

I know there are others, but honestly I can't recall...most I never opened. LOL

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-01-2015, 12:57 AM
I know it's not really a religious text, but I actually have the entire Left Behind series....in hardcover.

While it's based on the bible (Revelations is still my favorite book, jesus christ it's a violent fantasy novel if I've ever read one), it's a pretty good sci-fi novel if you blind out the religious bullshit.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"