What's it all about?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2017, 05:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2017 04:52 AM by DLJ.)
What's it all about?
I am new to this site - my name is Gareht - i am struggling on the one hand with belief and on the other hand disbelief. i want to let go but all the brainwashing and fear that was pumped into me through my life makes me feel guilt and shame for letting go. i probably sound stupid and need to wise up
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like gazzaboi6's post
09-08-2017, 05:12 AM
RE: Whats is it all about
(09-08-2017 05:08 AM)gazzaboi6 Wrote:  ...
. i probably sound stupid and need to wise up

Welcome to TTA.

Let's hope we can help with your enwisening process.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-08-2017, 05:21 AM
(09-08-2017 05:08 AM)gazzaboi6 Wrote:  I am new to this site - my name is Gareht - i am struggling on the one hand with belief and on the other hand disbelief. i want to let go but all the brainwashing and fear that was pumped into me through my life makes me feel guilt and shame for letting go. i probably sound stupid and need to wise up

> I'm sure the majority of atheists who have escaped the mental disorder of religious belief have gone through the same ordeal. You're in good company. Consider
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
09-08-2017, 05:30 AM
(09-08-2017 05:08 AM)gazzaboi6 Wrote:  ... the brainwashing and fear that was pumped into me through my life makes me feel guilt and shame for letting go.

That's a big part of the purpose of the brainwashing. It leaves you unable to question what you perceive as authority.

The thing is, without the brainwashing they'd have no authority because they are peddling nonsense.

Quote: i probably sound stupid and need to wise up

You sound like many who were indoctrinated into religion. This isn't an issue of intelligence; they shackled you with an irrational fear and that bypasses the thinking and puts a chokehold on the emotions.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
09-08-2017, 05:49 AM
Yup, you don't sound stupid at all. You sound brave to be fighting it.

Welcome, I'm sure you'll find great support here Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
09-08-2017, 06:38 AM
Believing what you are told is unlikely to lead to wisdom.

Questioning what you are told is a first good step towards it.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-08-2017, 06:50 AM
We welcome you here and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Share the journey and you'll feel less alone.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
09-08-2017, 06:53 AM
Howdy G.
09-08-2017, 08:03 AM
(09-08-2017 05:08 AM)gazzaboi6 Wrote:  I am new to this site - my name is Gareht - i am struggling on the one hand with belief and on the other hand disbelief. i want to let go but all the brainwashing and fear that was pumped into me through my life makes me feel guilt and shame for letting go. i probably sound stupid and need to wise up

Welcome.

Some people go through what you are describing for years, back and forth, until new habits of thought sink in. I did, from 1999 to 2006, though it was the worst at first.
It's normal for someone who has spent years believing. Just remember to hold fast to what actually makes sense. That will see you through.
09-08-2017, 08:07 AM
Welcome! You've come to the right place- lots of wise guys here! Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post