What's it all about?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2017, 08:09 AM
RE: Whats is it all about
(09-08-2017 08:07 AM)Fireball Wrote:  You've come to the right place- lots of wise guys here! Big Grin

It wouldn't be the internet otherwise.

Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
09-08-2017, 08:26 AM
Hi, and welcome!

What's it all about? Depends on what the "it" is that you're referring to.

Life? Life is about what you make it about. Life is only pointless if you refuse to have a point to your existence.

Atheism? Not being convinced that a god exists. If you yourself are not currently convinced, then I'd say you're an atheist already. That might not be true of you, personally- or you might not feel comfortable with that label, and that's okay- don't use it if you're uncomfortable with it. But many of us are here because we care about what's true- what's demonstrably true. And we aren't convinced that the world's religions have been able to demonstrate that their faith is placed in something that is demonstrably true. Or that there is sufficient evidence to support their views.

This site? It's about a community for discussion of a variety of topics, where atheists are not refused a place at the table and where critical thought is encouraged and questioners are allowed to ask their questions.
09-08-2017, 10:13 AM
(09-08-2017 05:08 AM)gazzaboi6 Wrote:  I am new to this site - my name is Gareht - i am struggling on the one hand with belief and on the other hand disbelief. i want to let go but all the brainwashing and fear that was pumped into me through my life makes me feel guilt and shame for letting go. i probably sound stupid and need to wise up

It would be poor brainwashing if tries of breaking it wouldn't result in guilt. Nothing unusual in it.

As for wising up - no one is smart enough to be not able to learn more. So you probably need to wise up. Just like everyone else. Fact that you think that you should wise up is a good sign as it mean that you're humble enough to admit that you still need to learn.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
09-08-2017, 12:42 PM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Hello! Big Grin
09-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Welcome!

I understand the way you are feeling, I went through similar things during my deconversion. What helped me was learning where my religion came from-the academic history of it. Also looking at other religions and their belief systems was extremely helpful.

I found The Outsider Test for Faith (concept by author John Loftus) extremely helpful. And best of all, The Outsider Test for Faith is really simple to do. Pick any religion different from your own. Read about their gods and beliefs. Ask yourself if their beliefs sound reasonable. Why or why not? Remind yourself they have just as many "valid" reasons for believing in their god(s) and religious practices as you do. So why don't you believe in the gods in their religion? Now apply the same level of critical thinking to your own religion as you are doing to someone else's.

Additionally, who taught you about the god(s) in your particular religion? Who taught you about your belief system? If you were born in a different time, different place in the world, born into a different family, a different cultural background--do you think your beliefs would be any different?

Lastly, there have been thousands of gods created by man throughout history and a variety of beliefs throughout time. The religion you subscribe to is just a drop in the pan of all the religions and gods and belief systems floating throughout time. So why is this? Why so many religions? Why so many gods? The answer is that it's the human condition to believe in gods (it is based on how we are wired via evolutionary traits like pattern making, etc.). Andy Thomson gave a great lecture on this called "Why We Believe in Gods" (available on YouTube).

Anyway, hope some of this helps. Good luck on your deconversion! It does sometimes take some time to kick that religious stuff to the curb. But you can free yourself from it by educating yourself and allowing yourself to think critically about your belief system.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-08-2017, 02:51 PM
Welcome. Well, others have made fine suggestions but.....here's mine.

Ah, a little humor there . ^

I hope you'll find some answers to your questions here and again welcome.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
09-08-2017, 07:23 PM
(09-08-2017 05:08 AM)gazzaboi6 Wrote:  I am new to this site - my name is Gareht - i am struggling on the one hand with belief and on the other hand disbelief. i want to let go but all the brainwashing and fear that was pumped into me through my life makes me feel guilt and shame for letting go. i probably sound stupid and need to wise up

Welcome to the forum. You don't sound stupid at all. What you're going through is pretty common for people escaping religious indoctrination. Sadly. If you check the Recovering From Religion section you will see a lot of similar stories.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
10-08-2017, 04:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2017 04:11 AM by Oaken.)
Welcome! Deciding that you are an Atheist isn't an easy thing for many people. And it is NATURAL to feel guilt, especially if you were indoctrinated in religion. Take your time, ask questions, think, think, think, ponder over things. You will meet some wise people here and they can help steer you in the direction of some helpful resources. For me, Youtube was an amazing, incredible resource. I recommend watching Bart Ehrman lectures. And, Robert Ingersoll speeches (his birthday is coming up) For comedy and lighter things I recommend you watching Godstuff videos on Youtube. I also recommend Matt Dillahunty, and of course, Seth Andrews! His videos and podcasts are quite potent and should help you as you continue.

"If all the historic books of the Bible were blotted from the memory of mankind, nothing of value would be lost."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Oaken's post
10-08-2017, 09:36 AM
RE: What's it all about?
[Image: 7e6652f99ce8d961b3efbe484c9d128e.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post