What's left of religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2014, 02:19 AM
What's left of religion?
For those of you who once had a religious beleif or affiliation: tell me what do you feel is left of it
  • in your worldview?
  • in your psychology?
  • in your social habits?
  • in your morals?
  • in your political positions?
  • else?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes corfou73's post
04-11-2014, 10:04 AM
RE: What's left of religion?
in your worldview?
Nothing is left of my former Catholicism in my worldview. My worldview has changed as a result of the factors that brought about my apostasy. I now see so many problems with religions that I had not recognized when I was religious. But that is from my atheism, not my former religion.

in your psychology?
I still occasionally find myself reflexively starting to get angry with "God" about things that I see in the world, but then I remind myself that I'm angry at the concept of God, not at a god which doesn't exist. I also have some irritation and disappointment with some family members who pester me about my apostasy from time to time. And I pity them as well because they make themselves miserable believing I'll probably be going to hell.

in your social habits?
Nothing is left here.

in your morals?
None of my morals come from religion anymore.

in your political positions?
There is nothing left of religion in my politics. In fact, there never was. It wasn't until around age 20 that I even cared much about politics. When I started paying more attention, the religious perspective on some things - abortion and gay rights, for example - seemed wrong and actually contributed to my doubts. My political viewpoint on those two issues were always pro-choice and pro-gay rights.

else?
Nothing that I can think of. For years, I had occasional lingering fears of "what if I'm wrong" and of hell. But even that is completely gone now.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
04-11-2014, 10:26 AM
(02-11-2014 02:19 AM)corfou73 Wrote:  For those of you who once had a religious beleif or affiliation: tell me what do you feel is left of it
  • in your worldview?
  • in your psychology?
  • in your social habits?
  • in your morals?
  • in your political positions?
  • else?

I started to reply to this..then realized I dont know yet. Im at a point of pondering what I read a long time ago..dont recall who said it, but it went "Id rather believe in a god and find out there isnt one, than not believe and find out there is"

Thats kinda a slop shot at existing,..and shallow reason to have faith

So I will leave a TBD to the list above

My Karma ran over your Dogma
- I have no clue who said it...I just think its funny
04-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Impulse, thanks for the template! Tongue

in your worldview?
Not much, really. I no longer assume that I'm part of some grand cosmic plan or that I am actually immortal. That has anywhere from a negligible to huge effect on how I see things. I found a lot of things lingered for a while until I reevaluated them. For example: I still had this notion that premarital sex was "bad" several months after I stopped believing in God. I thought about that and said "why?"

in your psychology?
That one is really hard to say, honestly. I don't know how well I can evaluate my own psychology.

in your social habits?
I stopped saying "bless you" when people sneeze, although I innately think about doing do. I don't close my eyes in group prayers, although I'm respectfully quiet.

in your morals?
I've stopped believing in absolute morality, although the Venn diagram for my moral beliefs before and after I stopped believing has a lot of overlap. I have given up such beliefs such as homosexuality or promiscuity being immoral. I also no longer hold the belief that if I didn't believe in God, I would just do whatever I wanted.

I'm more socially liberal. I always identified as liberal, but back when I used to believe, I was much more socially conservative.

else?
Nothing, I can think of, really.
04-11-2014, 02:24 PM
I was waiting for someone else to answer. (Thanks Impulse)

In your worldview?
Nothing at all although I was never convinced of having an eternal life, soul, etc.

In your psychology?
I guess this took longer to disappear but I'm not sure if I'm still influenced somehow.

In your social habits?
Nothing. But now, I find it hard not to be sarcastic when someone says "thanks god", "bless you", etc.

In your morals?
My morals have been the same: "Don't do unto others what you don't want others do unto you". No need for religion here ever.

In your political positions?
Nothing. I've always tried to avoid politicians that mix religion/politics.

else?
Not sure. I still have a crucifix lying around because my mother gave it to me many years ago so I have it for the sentimental value, not for its "religious value".

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2014, 03:22 PM
in your worldview?
Nothing. I still am pretty well up on Christian stuff though - probably more so than when I was trying to fool myself into being one.

in your psychology?
I don't think about God stuff much? I dunno. No superstition for me thanks. Maybe affects me in the sense that I'm rather anti all forms of woo now. Makes me mad when people believe stupid shit or repost misinformation 'cos they're lazy to fact check. Might be one of them if religion hadn't made me really interested in critical thinking.

in your social habits?
I try to avoid entanglement with religious girls...

in your morals?
I gots morals but I think they come from me. Maybe influenced a bit by some ideas from Christianity. More influenced by my Mama - old man taught me the immoral shit so between the two I got a balanced education.

Zero.

else?
I obviously have some shit that I still seem to be working through - otherwise I wouldn't be part of the forum or interested in the atheism/theism debate.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-11-2014, 03:25 PM
I would say nothing. I didn't start existing until I left Catholicism.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
04-11-2014, 05:32 PM
I'd say not much is left. Other than what I am forced to lie about to stay in the closet and not lose my family, friends, and job.

Worldview:
Just close your eyes and imagine all of the Middle East suddenly becoming atheist. No belief in Allah. No belief that one group has a "more right" interpretation of the Koran than others. No belief in a god that demands modesty in the form of a burka and approves of child marriages. No belief that apostasy is a crime worth beheading. There might be a lot of women in the Middle East initially beating their husbands:P, but I think it'd be a lot more peaceful. Now imagine the Catholic Church giving away all of it's wealth. Imagine the lack of kingdoms because no one should rule based on birthright.
I feel a song coming on....

Psychology:
I suffer less guilt and no longer feel like every action I make is being judged by a supernatural invisible asshole.

Social habits:
I don't go to church anymore. I stay quiet when coworkers are discussing god, church, and "end times." I still say "bless you" when somebody sneezes and I love to use "bless your heart" when being condescending.

Morals:
Many theists try to justify their world view based on its morality and that people would be less inclined to be good to one another. I disagree. Less than 3% of people are sociopaths - and religion doesn't really reign them in anyway. I've always held the "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" as my moral compass, if anything, religion left me freer to be kinder.

I never felt comfortable with morals I was taught at church - now I don't have to feel guilty about not being a biggot. I no longer have to feel guilty when I admit I'm attracted to both men and women. I occasionally have to check myself when I start to think of living with someone before marriage as sinful. I got married at 21 because my family would have had a shit fit had we lived together outside of marriage (despite me sleeping at his place all through college).

Political positions:
I'm not sure where I fit. In college I was a republican, after that a Libertarian is probably closest. On the political compass test I'm more extreme than Gandhi - although I doubt that. There aren't many politicians I agree with in the American system. I just need to declare myself Empress of the USA and be done with it.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
04-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Re: What's left of religion?
Nietzsche would presume my psychology is still Christian influenced.. Lumi kinda made a snipe that way.

I think besides family connection, that's it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Nothing whatsoever.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user