What's morally wrong with making fun of religions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2012, 05:04 AM
What's morally wrong with making fun of religions?
Recently I sharedthis clip to one of my friend, and obviously he disliked the humor and said: making fun of other peoples' beliefs is shameful, disguisting, and WRONG!! Such act has no difference between picketing the funerals (yes, I also showed him WestBoro Baptist Church clips before....).

I was hurt by his righteous condemn. So I back here to seek comfort & guidance from my brotherhood of darkness Weeping

Dear bros, could you kindly tell me: What's morally wrong with making fun of religions?

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2012, 05:08 AM
RE: What's morally wrong with making fun of religions?
Nothing!
In fact, it gets your flat mate to not talk to you for the last two weeks giving you complete peace and quite.
Highly recommended.
Just remember though, too much offense and they'll move out and you'll have to pay higher rent. It's a matter of getting that balance between getting them out of the house 90% of the time and getting them to still pay their share of the bills.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
31-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Scripture tells 'em to stone people for that crap, which they ain't got the sack to do, so they whine about it. 'Cause they're weak willed assholes. Tongue

(Of course there's the fact that the inmates are running the asylum, and they have pimped the tradition of "don't question another's faith.")

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-05-2012, 05:57 AM
If I make fun of santa clause or the easter bunny noone is gonna react that way, not even a child.
If I make fun of Jeeeesusssss I am gonna be stoned?
laughable. some people should grow up, eh?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
31-05-2012, 06:02 AM
I know when I've won the argument when they decry "that's offensive". It's all they have left.
Ridicule is a power tool for making people rethink. Use it with caution, but use it.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
31-05-2012, 07:10 AM
It's perfectly fine to make fun of religions until you get to the religion of the person you're talking to. Then they get testy for some reason and call it morally wrong.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
31-05-2012, 07:22 AM
There's a line that separates parody from ridicule. Parody is awesome. Ridicule, not just of religion but of anyone, can at best be hurtful and at worst come from a place of deep hatred and bigotry.

For example, Chris Rock's famous "Niggers vs Black People" bit, is fucking hilarious. But there is an armada of nigger "comedy" that is not. Namean?

Also, and this is something we ourselves deal with here, there's a difference between mocking an idea and mocking a person. If you call the Virgin Birth illogical, that's mocking an idea. If you call someone a fucking idiot who's dumb like a sack of hammers because they believe it, that's just an ad hom. It might seem funny on the surface because you don't particularly like that person, but cheering for that kind of humour is the same as cheering when the frat boy calls that other guy a faggot. It's not actually funny.

So comedy is great. But there are very specific rules in comedy. Comedy doesn't mean saying any old thing that comes to your mind and it shouldn't be used as a shield for vitriol.

There's also sensitivity. The "oh, too soon?" trope comes from the fact that sometimes shit is inappropriate. There is such thing as kicking someone when they're down. If a woman just had a still birth, dead baby jokes might not be the way to go. If people are being oppressed and murdered for their beliefs, mocking them might make you a gigantic penis. I'm not a particularly big fan of Chris Hitchens, but the week that he died, I knew better than to speak ill of him because he meant a lot to many people here and I try to not be an insensitive asshole.

Then there's being butthurt.

Some people just can't take a joke. There's an old saying that deals with that. Fuck em if they can't take a joke Cool

A man who cannot laugh at himself is not a man. That's what I think.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 7 users Like Ghost's post
31-05-2012, 07:28 AM
(31-05-2012 07:22 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I'm not a particularly big fan of Chris Hitchens...

Shocking

There's a stake with your name on it 'round here somewherez. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-05-2012, 08:52 AM
I can see it being immoral at the side of peoples deathbed. Sad
31-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Sickipedia Wrote:People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs.

Smile

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.