What's more important: critical thinking or relationships?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2015, 12:11 PM
RE: What's more important: critical thinking or relationships?
See what happens? More than two paragraphs, reading comprehension goes out the window. Tongue

Me and my family mutually disowned each other, so I don't have those problems. If I did, I'd disown them again. But then again, looking for advice on family from virtual strangers may not be your best option.

Oh, and "tactical relationships." Fucking Yak. Laugh out load

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
19-10-2015, 12:21 PM
(12-10-2015 07:17 PM)Happy Wrote:  So here's my question, is it worth to be right, to press with your point of view, to promote the critical, logical thinking. Or do you preserve the relationships and let the person live with his or her delusions?
Why is it important for you to change your friend? Can't you let her be herself, and instead find other things to admire about her?

She is interested in this stuff and there really is no reason to shoot it down in front of her.
Friends are more supportive of each other. They look for the things they do share in common and focus on that, having fun together.
If you disagree with her on something, it doesn't make sense to focus on that. Don't change her. Support her. Doesn't mean you have to agree with her.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
19-10-2015, 12:45 PM
As I often say to my daughters.....must you argue every point? Would the world stop turning if you just ignored what she said and let it slide?

do you love her? them love all of her, even the parts that drive you crazy.

love first, life is too precious to be nitpicking each other all the time,

lighten up.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
19-10-2015, 01:15 PM
A relationship is worth saving as long as the good outweighs the bad. If somebody repeatedly demonstrates that they lack critical thinking and aren't interested in getting better at it then I begin to lose respect for them. Once that's gone there's not much point in the relationship.

If it is limited to specific areas and we can avoid those subjects then that is one thing. If it is pervasive or they can't drop the subject then life's too short to deal with bullshit when I don't have to.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
19-10-2015, 01:31 PM
(19-10-2015 01:15 PM)unfogged Wrote:  A relationship is worth saving as long as the good outweighs the bad. If somebody repeatedly demonstrates that they lack critical thinking and aren't interested in getting better at it then I begin to lose respect for them. Once that's gone there's not much point in the relationship.

If it is limited to specific areas and we can avoid those subjects then that is one thing. If it is pervasive or they can't drop the subject then life's too short to deal with bullshit when I don't have to.

true, sometimes certain topics must be dropped entirely to preserve the relationship.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
19-10-2015, 02:12 PM
(19-10-2015 01:31 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  true, sometimes certain topics must be dropped entirely to preserve the relationship.
Politics, religion, diet advice, child rearing advice, "you shoulds"...
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
21-10-2015, 01:22 PM
(19-10-2015 12:45 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  love first, life is too precious to be nitpicking each other all the time
Perfect!
Thumbsup