What's "poor"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2012, 07:41 PM
RE: What's "poor"?
Or move to oregon, where medical marihuana is legal and you can get some pain relief.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-08-2012, 08:04 PM
I have never been rich, and never will be. I have often been where I have what I need and what the kids needed. I have also been homeless for a short time thanks to rotten parents. I lived in my car for three months...I worked for minimum wage, I had been beaten nearly to death and my dream of college pulled out from under me three days before I turned 18. I showered at a friend's house before her parents got home from work and parked my car in the timber of a local farm where I woke up to cows staring at me. This went on till I collapsed from dehydration, malnutrition, and over-exhaustion and landed in the hospital. After that I did what I had to in order to keep a roof over my head till things improved a bit. Not a great part of my life. One of the main reasons why camping is not my thing. Three months in a cow field will take the fun right out of the concept of camping.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Poor [poor] Show IPA adjective, poor·er, poor·est, noun adjective 1. having little or no money, goods, or other means of support

Being "poor" simply means you are below the economic standard.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
16-08-2012, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2012 12:21 AM by GirlyMan.)
(15-08-2012 08:09 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Poor [poor] Show IPA adjective, poor·er, poor·est, noun adjective 1. having little or no money, goods, or other means of support

You apparently got no idea of what it means to make ends meet.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-08-2012, 06:01 AM
(15-08-2012 04:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  N.E. OHIO - are you sure there is nothing you can do? Or have you just resigned yourself?
heading to SSI to fight for medicare. I paid into it even out of my disability payments. I am going to see if I can get that. To your question of me being resigned to hopelessness YES! I am really not sure on my mental health now but I cant afford to see anyone. the copay is just to much. I can only stretch my money so far. Sadly I have kept my credit score at 760 or better.. now it will suffer. I will be so ashamed to lose it.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
16-08-2012, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2012 06:38 AM by Logica Humano.)
(16-08-2012 12:02 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-08-2012 08:09 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Poor [poor] Show IPA adjective, poor·er, poor·est, noun adjective 1. having little or no money, goods, or other means of support

You apparently got no idea of what it means to make ends meet.

What the fuck are you talking about? I know precisely what "poor" is. It is not as though I have money falling out of my ass.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
16-08-2012, 11:28 PM
This is a very interesting thread, and I am glad that you shared your thoughts with us. Sometimes I feel so spoiled when I get upset about the most trivial things in life (e.g. I didn't get the first car I wanted when I was 16, or how I can't get a gym membership to a really classy gym because I cannot afford the monthly fee).

Then I remember. There are many other people on this planet that have a extremely difficult time just trying to live and survive. Unfortunately, many people in our Western culture piss and moan about things that are inessential to their own survival. We seem to crave luxury and it is rotting our hearts.
16-08-2012, 11:31 PM
(15-08-2012 08:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have also been homeless for a short time thanks to rotten parents. I lived in my car for three months...I worked for minimum wage, I had been beaten nearly to death and my dream of college pulled out from under me three days before I turned 18. I showered at a friend's house before her parents got home from work and parked my car in the timber of a local farm where I woke up to cows staring at me. This went on till I collapsed from dehydration, malnutrition, and over-exhaustion and landed in the hospital. After that I did what I had to in order to keep a roof over my head till things improved a bit. Not a great part of my life. One of the main reasons why camping is not my thing. Three months in a cow field will take the fun right out of the concept of camping.

Thank you for sharing part of your life's experiences. Can I ask you a question - Did you learn any new insights from your homelessness experience? When I was a sophomore in college, I had the opportunity to live homeless for three days with a small group of friends from school. We tried to survive without shelter and received food from the homeless soup kitchens. I think that the whole experience showed me a lot about my conceptions of the unfortunate.
14-09-2012, 01:43 AM
The term poor means many things to many people. I consider someone poor financially when they work hard and have trouble having the things others take for granted. Some see people that are on welfare as poor. I do not agree. I have people on welfare living less than a quarter mile from me. They live in apartments, however they never need to worry about anything. I work 40 hours a week and constantly worry about paying my bills and my mortgage. My wife and I are concerned about how we are going to pay for the surgery she needs on her ancle and about how we can possibly have kids and pay for them to have at least some advantages. The people down the road on welfare are always out and about. They drive decent cars from what I have seen. If you stand outside and look up into one of the apartments, you can see a stroller. They are breeding and have no worries. These people are not poor. Trying to get by on 11 dollars an hour in New Jersey without any help from the government, now that is poor. The one benefit is that I do own my house and that at some point when I get older I can probably sell it for a lot more than I got it for. Those people never have to worry about a lost job and it doesn't matter how many kids they pump out, tax payers like me will just pay for that too. When it comes to poor, it is up to opinion.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post