What's really been grinding my gears lately..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2012, 09:09 AM
What's really been grinding my gears lately..
I've been working at a Dollar General for about two years. I live in a small town in Northeastern Missouri (est. pop. 17,000) in the middle of nowhere. Essentially, we are the big fish in the small pond. So, in rural America it is to be expected that a majority of people are either lower or lower-middle class. Which, at least from what I've observed, is mostly true. Simply because of this fact, it is also expected that most of these people are benefiting from social programs. This is perfectly fine with me; I am more than happy to pay taxes so people who have less of an opportunity than I do can provide for their families. I do take into account that my view of people may be somewhat biased because DG is a place where lower-level income people are going to come for groceries and such. DG is pretty much the small form of Wal-Mart. The epitome of Chinese made cheap crap and junk. Though lately the company has been making an effort to overall improve by expanding stores and trying to get away from that chintzy feel. Sometimes I feel dirty working there knowing the big wigs are outsourcing...

Anyway, back to my point. So these people come in, usually falling under every single stereotypical category you could think of when you think "poor", and almost always are paying with EBT food stamps. Fine and dandy. I'm all for providing food for lower income families. What really gets me is that in more situations than not, these people are buying a ridiculous amount of soda, candy, chips, etc. Sometimes, this is all they buy. I do understand that everyone is allowed pleasure and for people without much money look for happiness in forms of junk food. However, I think this is crossing the line. There are times where there are people buying $15 worth of solely junk food. You may be thinking it's a one or two person situation, but it's the overall behavior of most people I see on a daily basis. Also, it being a small town, there are regular customers who come in and this is a constant habit (sometimes multiple times in a day, or week). These people also seem to have an essence about their attitude that makes it seem like they feel they are entitled to this. I also think they do not realize (maybe not directly) I am the one paying for your crap. I guess I just feel if you need assistance that badly, you would make more conscious decisions about what you are purchasing and at least try to make an effort to conserve your money instead of wasting it on crap that has no nutritional value whatsoever. End rant.

This has always raised questions for me, though:

Why does the government include this in the food stamps program when, in no way, shape, or form, is it beneficial to a family (much less young children)?
Why are we still struggling to get things like farmers markets included in our food stamps program? This would be very important for my town considering agriculture is a huge industry and produce is dirt cheap.
Why are we not creating a program to inform those people who are eating poorly? Is it just apathy from the beneficiary side?

I know in some situations bad eating habits and the lack of understanding or connection where your money really comes from is passed through families. I guess it just makes me sad to see little kids eating Little Debbie's for breakfast because that's all mommy wants to buy.
This coming from someone who struggled with being overweight most of my childhood years because my mother chose to feed me poorly.

I'm just tired of the country, which is in debt, being sucked dry by people who are not appreciative.

Sorry, it's a wall of text.

"I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ctull's post
25-09-2012, 10:32 AM
RE: What's really been grinding my gears lately..
Well, the way I see it, the only way things are gonna change is when the majority of people in the states actively try to make the change happen themselves and because that is asking too much it will never happen.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
[+] 2 users Like Xinoftruden's post
25-09-2012, 10:35 AM
(25-09-2012 09:09 AM)ctull Wrote:  Why does the government include this in the food stamps program when, in no way, shape, or form, is it beneficial to a family (much less young children)?

Lobbyists.
Next question. Drinking Beverage

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
25-09-2012, 10:56 AM
(25-09-2012 10:35 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(25-09-2012 09:09 AM)ctull Wrote:  Why does the government include this in the food stamps program when, in no way, shape, or form, is it beneficial to a family (much less young children)?

Lobbyists.
Next question. Drinking Beverage

I want to know why this isn't more of an issue, though. I'm sure there are more people like me who have seen such behavior through EBT beneficiaries and think it's outrageous.

Are candy, chip, soda corporations really that much of sticklers that they want government dollars for their products from people who usually have no business eating these things anyway? Are these people one of their main contributors?
As one of the fattest nations in the world, don't you think at least someone in the government would make an effort to try and put a stop to this?
At least when people with limited funds will be having to make these decisions with their own money (like the rest of us) rather than digital funds given to them once a month with little to no circumstances. So instead of a 3.75 bag of chips out of your own pocket, which you probably can't afford to splurge on, why not a healthy, reasonable bag of produce for the same price that I, as a taxpayer, will be more than happy to contribute money for so you can have food...

Not logical to me.

I heard rumors that there was an effort to take cheese off EBT (obviously if it were true it did not happen) which I think is ridiculous. Whoever put forth this idea needs to consider other things, as well. Things that aren't considered a source of dairy that is required to maintain a healthy diet.

Maybe I just need to take things into my own hands...

"I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse."
26-09-2012, 11:55 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2012 12:06 AM by Diablo.)
The DG is not wal-mart, or anything close. You don't go grocery shopping at the mother fucking DG. There just isn't much more than junk food in those places really, so I don't see WTF you expect them to buy.

Also, where the fuck do you get off thinking you paid for shit? You work at the damn DG making minimum wage, and you are likely in your teens or early twenties. You aint paid for shit. We could take your entire lifetimes expenditure on taxes, and maybe buy one family a months groceries. Whats more, you don't get to pick what your laughable sum of funds is used for. It all goes into the big pot, and gets mixed together. I don't want to buy nuclear missiles, and you don't want to pay for soda. Guess what? Tough Shit. We don't get to decide, the corporations who buy off the puppet politicians get to decide.

Finally, a lot of the people who get food assistance get other forms of aid as well. It really wouldn't make any diff if you removed the "junk food" as you call it from the food programs, as they would buy it with cash anyways.

The next time you have a thought, just let it go.
27-09-2012, 01:54 AM
(25-09-2012 09:09 AM)ctull Wrote:  I've been working at a Dollar General for about two years. I live in a small town in Northeastern Missouri (est. pop. 17,000) in the middle of nowhere. Essentially, we are the big fish in the small pond. So, in rural America it is to be expected that a majority of people are either lower or lower-middle class. Which, at least from what I've observed, is mostly true. Simply because of this fact, it is also expected that most of these people are benefiting from social programs. This is perfectly fine with me; I am more than happy to pay taxes so people who have less of an opportunity than I do can provide for their families. I do take into account that my view of people may be somewhat biased because DG is a place where lower-level income people are going to come for groceries and such. DG is pretty much the small form of Wal-Mart. The epitome of Chinese made cheap crap and junk. Though lately the company has been making an effort to overall improve by expanding stores and trying to get away from that chintzy feel. Sometimes I feel dirty working there knowing the big wigs are outsourcing...

Anyway, back to my point. So these people come in, usually falling under every single stereotypical category you could think of when you think "poor", and almost always are paying with EBT food stamps. Fine and dandy. I'm all for providing food for lower income families. What really gets me is that in more situations than not, these people are buying a ridiculous amount of soda, candy, chips, etc. Sometimes, this is all they buy. I do understand that everyone is allowed pleasure and for people without much money look for happiness in forms of junk food. However, I think this is crossing the line. There are times where there are people buying $15 worth of solely junk food. You may be thinking it's a one or two person situation, but it's the overall behavior of most people I see on a daily basis. Also, it being a small town, there are regular customers who come in and this is a constant habit (sometimes multiple times in a day, or week). These people also seem to have an essence about their attitude that makes it seem like they feel they are entitled to this. I also think they do not realize (maybe not directly) I am the one paying for your crap. I guess I just feel if you need assistance that badly, you would make more conscious decisions about what you are purchasing and at least try to make an effort to conserve your money instead of wasting it on crap that has no nutritional value whatsoever. End rant.

This has always raised questions for me, though:

Why does the government include this in the food stamps program when, in no way, shape, or form, is it beneficial to a family (much less young children)?
Why are we still struggling to get things like farmers markets included in our food stamps program? This would be very important for my town considering agriculture is a huge industry and produce is dirt cheap.
Why are we not creating a program to inform those people who are eating poorly? Is it just apathy from the beneficiary side?

I know in some situations bad eating habits and the lack of understanding or connection where your money really comes from is passed through families. I guess it just makes me sad to see little kids eating Little Debbie's for breakfast because that's all mommy wants to buy.
This coming from someone who struggled with being overweight most of my childhood years because my mother chose to feed me poorly.

I'm just tired of the country, which is in debt, being sucked dry by people who are not appreciative.

Sorry, it's a wall of text.

I used to work for a supermarket about 11 years ago. The busiest times we had were right before storms and of course every morning after the welfare checks came out (next day of course). These people that were stereotypical trailer trash and would buy a lot of junk and I forget how, but they had figured out how to get change from food stamps. I think they were allowed to get 3.50 dollars back or something like that. Immediatly after getting done shopping at shoprite (the place I had worked for), they would promptly head to the liquor store right next to shoprite and buy the cheapest bottle of alcohol they could get their hands on and go home to get drunk. If your senses are telling you that they are the scum of the earth dragging the economy under, they probably are. I was feeling that way about these people for about 6 months until I caught it happening and realized I was correct. There are so many of them out there that can work, but don't. If you ever get a chance to go to Atlantic City, NJ you will see many people on the boardwalk every day begging and singing for money. Usually around 8pm they disappear until the following day. It is because they are already on welfare and rental assistance, they have homes. They beg to get their greedy hands on cash. Many of the people on welfare are no better than theives, because they can work and won't.
27-09-2012, 02:00 AM
(26-09-2012 11:55 PM)Diablo Wrote:  The DG is not wal-mart, or anything close. You don't go grocery shopping at the mother fucking DG. There just isn't much more than junk food in those places really, so I don't see WTF you expect them to buy.

Also, where the fuck do you get off thinking you paid for shit? You work at the damn DG making minimum wage, and you are likely in your teens or early twenties. You aint paid for shit. We could take your entire lifetimes expenditure on taxes, and maybe buy one family a months groceries. Whats more, you don't get to pick what your laughable sum of funds is used for. It all goes into the big pot, and gets mixed together. I don't want to buy nuclear missiles, and you don't want to pay for soda. Guess what? Tough Shit. We don't get to decide, the corporations who buy off the puppet politicians get to decide.

Finally, a lot of the people who get food assistance get other forms of aid as well. It really wouldn't make any diff if you removed the "junk food" as you call it from the food programs, as they would buy it with cash anyways.

You assume that the person who made this thread is either young or uneducated. In case you haven't noticed the economy is in the shitter and circling the drain. There are people I know that were making upwards of 100k a year just a few years ago. After finding themselves jobless for a few years, they are filling positions like the one you just mocked. So, I guess if I ever encounter you doing a job like that because your good one went to china I can make fun of you and decide you must be stupid?
[+] 5 users Like Birdguy1979's post
27-09-2012, 04:21 AM
There's a large likelyhood that they use some of their EBT money somewhere else. $100 a person per month can seem like a lot when it's only for food (I know I ate pretty well when I was on food stamps). While I've had times where dollar general was my grocer because I don't drive, I kind of agree that it's not really a place to eat healthy. Cans and boxes just don't make for healthy food. I never shopped there while on food stamps, only while working and having my own funds which generally seemed more limiting.

It can seem really hard at times to see how many people make horrid decisions, and what type of benefits they are given to continue, but I assure you that there are people making better decisions. I've worked a number of retail jobs and seen a large amount of people who have no idea what they should be using their money for. At times I end up falling into the same traps. The real problem is that when you live in a poor area the mistakes are much more noticeable. Many of the people in bad situations tend to make bad choices just so they feel they can even make a choice. Yeah I'll get annoyed at the whino who lives off of the system, but at the same time I can understand how he might feel. Not everyone can get a job so easily, and not every area is prepared to make it easy for them to get a job. Sometimes begging on the street is better than spending all day filling out applications that never get looked at.

Diablo, there are plenty of people who never get to a good position in life. The most money I've made an hour is $15. Currently I go into ghettos to paint apartments for a whole $10. I'm nearing 30, but situations in my life were different than yours. Poor people do exist and they aren't all leeches.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 6 users Like Lilith Pride's post
27-09-2012, 06:28 AM
(26-09-2012 11:55 PM)Diablo Wrote:  The DG is not wal-mart, or anything close. You don't go grocery shopping at the mother fucking DG. There just isn't much more than junk food in those places really, so I don't see WTF you expect them to buy.

Wow you are going off on your view of this as a subjective prick... A DG does have items that are dry groceries. To rip someone at a stage where they literally can't of done much to pay in more is not any knock against their observation of an issue.

When I was away at college I went to places like the DG, Dollar Tree, and eventually other discount supermarkets because I could get food cheaper there than a Wal-Mart. I didn't care that it was the lowest of low generic product of course. I bought pasta, pasta sauce, canned vegetables, canned meat product, etc.

The deal the other posts mentioned of people getting change for their footstamps instead of just using them as been limited recently. There's fights politically to disallow what a person can buy on foodstamps but that's been fought against.

There are more programs that they've been trying to pass that don't penalize the junk food purchasing but do encourage purchasing of fruit, vegetables, and other deemed healthier food by subsidizing the price of these products on EBT cards.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like ClydeLee's post
27-09-2012, 08:57 AM
When I say (in regard to Diablo's ridiculous response, are we a bit angry?) that it's my money I don't mean that it is solely every single dollar that I have contributed (however small it may be) but as an American citizen now and in the years to come. American citizens dish out so much of their hard earned dollars to support systems like welfare and EBT (which are great programs in itself) which I support wholeheartedly but make me upset when I see them being abused. Because when they are abused, there are families who really appreciate and need assistance that get shorthanded. Really, I guess my point was that the government shouldn't be blatantly condoning the use of tax payer money to buy food that promotes unhealthiness. It's abuse of what is supposed to be a nutritional assistance program. There are alternate options at DG, other than candy, cookies, chips, and soda. I never said it was health food, but there are better options (like the poster above said). We have canned fruit, dried fruit, oatmeal, cereal, granola, canned meat (which may be jacked in sodium and preservatives but is better than candy bars), boxed meal options, we even have the ground beef which is needed for these meals...there's juice, tea, milk, frozen chicken. So there are those options out there. Also, like I said in my original post I said my view of people may be a bit biased.

Also, I'm not quite sure why you're making the assumption that I am getting paid minimum wage.
For being "young" (21 to be exact) I have received a promotion within the last year and have received 3 quarter raises.
That goes to show something. That goes to show that I am an individual, regardless of my age, that has a decent work ethic and believes in working hard for your money (which my job is hard, very hard, psychically) and paying what is my fair share to benefit those who do not have the opportunity that I do. For those who do not have a job and may never have the opportunity to work again. Those people deserve to have better options out there and I don't want to see people who are poorly educated in what they should be consumers of take money out of other people's pockets who are more deserving and have a better understanding.

If they pay with cash, good.
That's what I want.
I want there to be some real monetary value tied to their bad choices to maybe make them realize that there are cheaper, better options out there that food stamps should support.

[+] 1 user Likes ctull's post