What's really been grinding my gears lately..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2012, 02:05 PM
RE: What's really been grinding my gears lately..
Yeah, George Carlin described this pretty eloquently.....

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TrulyX's post
27-09-2012, 02:16 PM
(26-09-2012 11:55 PM)Diablo Wrote:  The DG is not wal-mart, or anything close. You don't go grocery shopping at the mother fucking DG. There just isn't much more than junk food in those places really, so I don't see WTF you expect them to buy.

Also, where the fuck do you get off thinking you paid for shit? You work at the damn DG making minimum wage, and you are likely in your teens or early twenties. You aint paid for shit. We could take your entire lifetimes expenditure on taxes, and maybe buy one family a months groceries. Whats more, you don't get to pick what your laughable sum of funds is used for. It all goes into the big pot, and gets mixed together. I don't want to buy nuclear missiles, and you don't want to pay for soda. Guess what? Tough Shit. We don't get to decide, the corporations who buy off the puppet politicians get to decide.

Finally, a lot of the people who get food assistance get other forms of aid as well. It really wouldn't make any diff if you removed the "junk food" as you call it from the food programs, as they would buy it with cash anyways.

The next time you have a thought, just let it go.

Missed our anger management session last week, did we?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post
27-09-2012, 02:51 PM
It's a shame that this happens. I'm a strong support for safety nets and assistance programs, but I dislike a set up that leads to incentives to stay on the program. Some people have no choice and simply cannot get out of their position, but this is likely not the case for all.

There are initiatives and pilot programs in progress that steer people toward healthier options by further subsidizing the cost on healthy foods like fruits and veggies. Hopefully they'll pass and show to be an improvement on the system.

Not having studied the Food Stamps/SNAP program in depth, it's easy for me to say that I personally think that there should be limitations placed on what foods you can buy with them. I'm sure there are difficulties with that, but it should still be tackled. I don't know why there aren't limitations (like was said above, lobbyists maybe? or other problems that would need to be solved first?), but it seems like there should be.

One hurdle I can think of in regard to limitations is that in the poorer areas it might severely restrict what foods are available to them. Someone who does not drive and only has access to nearby places like Dollar General may then be without any food options, let alone healthy ones.

I don't know the answers, personally, but you're not alone in your frustrations. These programs are of real benefit to a lot of people. These are not the people that you probably encounter regularly, or if you do they aren't buying the junk that might cause you to take note. Some people vilify these programs because there are leechers, and that's unfortunately true, but that doesn't mean that the program itself is bad. It does mean that it needs improvement.

Edit: Oh, and fuck you Diablo... you're an ass.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
27-09-2012, 11:02 PM
The people down the road from me that are on welfare have cars. I think that if they are to stay on welfare, they should not be given cash for anything. No change from foodstamps. Instead of cash for gas, a gas card once every 2 weeks that will only allow them to use it. In other words, they can't sell it for cash. All needs met, except the perks of working. No cash, means no saving their change for the newest video game system. I work for a living and don't get to buy games or systems very often. I don't see how someone with no desire to work should be able to get what I don't. That being said, there should be something for those who really can't work due to injuries or defects. They should be able to have some entertainment. The people down the road from me have at least one kid. If they can actively breed and then take care of the kids (run around after a toddler(s), they can do some kind of work.
28-09-2012, 02:32 PM
(27-09-2012 02:05 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  Yeah, George Carlin described this pretty eloquently.....

Touche.
He was a good man, he's missed.

"I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse."
02-10-2012, 11:46 PM
I've worked in retail for a long time. About 16 years, in fact. Frankly, life decided to take the shitty path in my younger days, so I missed out on college, even though it was my goal all along. Now that I have other things going on, a career isn't something I'm terribly interested in, so I keep to the old reliable of retail. It is what it is.

That said, I've worked in both general stores, like the Dollar General, Walgreen's, Walmart, and Kmart, as well as grocery stores. Most of the time, I've cashiered in these places. I've watched people with EBT buying things that made me feel like shaking my head. I saw it, too. Lots and lots of junk food items. Sometimes hundreds of dollars in processed frozen foods, snacks like chips and desert cakes, and sugary drinks such as soda and Kool-Aid style beverages. I was disappointed not to see much in the way of anything fresh. Vegetables turned up much less than I would have liked to have seen. Fruit was the same.

What got me most was when someone would use the cash option of their EBT card to purchase alcohol or cigarettes. I'm still surprised that the government doesn't disallow the purchase of these things with EBT, even if it's the cash option and not the food option.

WIC has a farmer's market voucher option. $20 per season to spend at any farmer's market stand with a certain sign displayed. I know WIC operates a bit differently, though. They're much more concerned about providing better nutrition than it seems like the EBT program is. I THOUGHT I had heard that there was some way to get stuff from the farmer's market with EBT, or they were considering it or something, but I may have misheard that.
03-10-2012, 06:34 AM
You ever try to eat healthy on a food stamp budget? Then shut yer hole. Big Grin

People think these entitlement programs primarily support people in need. They don't. They support the economy by making more consumers, ones who would tax the system in other ways, like larceny.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2012, 05:13 AM
(03-10-2012 06:34 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You ever try to eat healthy on a food stamp budget? Then shut yer hole. Big Grin

People think these entitlement programs primarily support people in need. They don't. They support the economy by making more consumers, ones who would tax the system in other ways, like larceny.

If that is true then they need to be removed from welfare system and closely monitored. One screw up in which they commit a crime for money, they go to a prison that will force them to be part of a work program.