What's the Crime Like in Your Neighborhood?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2016, 06:17 AM
What's the Crime Like in Your Neighborhood?
It's pretty quiet here. I do keep the doors in the house locked most of the time -- always at night.

Other than that --

I leave the keys in all of the vehicles. I figure if somebody's crazy enough to steal one when I'm here -- that I'd just as soon they take it -- rather than have to kill them when they try to get the keys away from me...... (it's just not worth doing all the paperwork).

I've only been "victimized" once -- when somebody broke into my Mercedes while I was working at the bar - and stole a Buck knife (engraved with my name) and a pair of prescription sunglasses.. Dumb crook probably threw both away later.

We've had one murder about 4 miles from here -- a guy killed his brother -- both tweekers....

And one neighbor had somebody rustle some of his cows back in the 1970's......

Yup... Pretty quiet.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2016, 06:38 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2016 06:50 AM by Marozz.)
RE: What's the Crime Like in Your Neighborhood?
My neighbourhood is quiet enough. We get the usual Saturday night fights and the odd stabbing etc...There are one or two families of scumbag fucks who cause a wee bit of havoc. I grew up in a tougher neighbourhood. If you didn't lock or tie your stuff down it was stolen. My mothers house has been burgled a few times and, many years ago, my flat in the city was burgled. They took my record (viynl) collection and my old Fender baas Angry. So I'm one of these people who locks eveything and double checks all the doors and windows at night. When I walk the dog in the park I don't listen to music / wear headphones. I like to be aware what going on around me.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
13-05-2016, 09:18 AM
The majority of crime in my neighborhood revolves around auto insurance fraud, illegal residences stuffed with a dozen people, and probably a significant amount of domestic violence that goes unreported due to religious beliefs. A <10min drive to the core sees a rise in prostitution, b&e, and drugs.

I leave my door unlocked when home, but my girlfriend who lives less than 10 minutes down the road would be an idiot to do so. It's really surprising what a few miles changes.
13-05-2016, 09:35 AM
In the summer, we get the occasional report of a rash of "break-and-enters" in my suburban neighbourhood. Bike theft is a problem.
Thieves (teenagers) have randomly stolen cd's and change from our car, when we've forgotten to lock it.
About a year ago, a guy pulled a knife on someone: that made the evening news.
We lock our doors when we leave the house, out of habit, but we only bought our security system because of its fire alarm/fall alarm feature for my elderly mom.

Once, sometime last fall, when it was chilly but not freezing, we were unloading groceries and completely forgot to close the trunk of the car.
My husband had left his TWO work laptops in it
At 5 a.m., I suddenly remembered that we had left the trunk open.
We raced outside in our pjs to the front of house to find the car, trunk still open, laptops still there Smile

Yeah, bad things can happen, but I don't lose sleep over security in our neighbourhood Smile

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
13-05-2016, 09:56 AM
I saw a Canada goose attack the gosling of another couple the other day.

Also, one of my little dogs ran out the open gate even though she knows better.

These are the only crimes around here that I can think of....Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
13-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Our neighborhood is sketchy! I love it but here in Portland but there is a lot of theft and homelessness. Someone hid a bike in our bushes, pretty sure it was stolen. It's a huge problem and even though I am empathetic to those sleeping on the sidewalks it can be pretty scary. About a month ago, two blocks from my place a homeless man was shot by another homeless man. I also had my rear view mirror bashed in for no apparent reason, it was on the side walk side. I am assuming someone was losing their shit because there is some crazy yelling at times just a block down where some folks are camped. Many are camped on sidewalks, sometimes it is super shitty, literally shitty, it's stinks..
13-05-2016, 10:16 AM
The Leviathan is strong in secular Singapore so the crime rate is low.

So low that people need to be reminded ...

[Image: Street_banners09_Eng.jpg]

But in KL there is a lesser sense of citizenship, poorer governance and a lower giving of fucks than in Singapore.

In some parts of Malaysia there is still debate over Hudud .

Quote:Crimes against God violated His Hudud, or 'boundaries'. These punishments were specified by the Quran, and in some instances by the Sunnah.
They are namely for adultery, fornication, accusing someone of illicit sex but failing to present four male Muslim eyewitnesses, apostasy (opinion is not unanimous on this crime), consuming intoxicants, outrage (e.g. rebellion against the lawful Caliph, other forms of mischief against the Muslim state, or highway robbery), robbery and theft.
Hudud offenses are overturned by the slightest of doubts (shubuhat). These punishments were rarely applied in pre-modern Islam.
These punishments range from public lashing to publicly stoning to death, amputation of hands and crucifixion. The crimes against hudud cannot be pardoned by the victim or by the state, and the punishments must be carried out in public. However, the evidentiary standards for these punishment were often impossibly high, and were thus infrequently implemented in practice.

It has to be said... it's hard to snatch a handbag if you have no hands.

Dodgy

13-05-2016, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2016 10:39 AM by carol.)
My town has 95% lower violent crime than the rest of the country- This part of Maine is generally much safer than the other states, especially in rural areas. I do not lock doors- I have dogs to alert when someone arrives. I did not even have a key to the house until I replaced the doors a few years back. In winter, it is completely safe, the only people who come over belong here. I leave the house open in case someone is out in the weather and need to have a warm place to come into. Several times lost hunters, covered in mud and tired, have come in and had some coffee with me and warmed up during hunting season. In winter, it can be easy to find yourself lost on the mountain. I have gotten lost a few times myself. People also leave the little hunting cabins open all winter, with some wood stacked inside in case someone gets lost in the woods in winter and need to warm up and dry off. If you use a cabin, it is considered polite to bring in more wood to replace the wood that you have used, and to thank the owner when you see them.
A thank you in Maine is usually rather gruff, and includes a few simple jokes. In return, you may get a slight nod and a "ayuh", they will call you a "dub" and tell you "you numb dub, trying to slip your wind". ( you stupid person, almost died) You may reply: Jeezum, it ain’t been this cold since Eighteen-hundred-and-froze-to-death!” and drop by in a week or so with a six pack and a smile.
Often you will see some cans of food stacked on a table for a lost hunter to use. It reminds me of the camping shacks along the Appalachian trail.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
13-05-2016, 10:44 AM
(13-05-2016 09:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  I saw a Canada goose attack the gosling of another couple the other day.

Also, one of my little dogs ran out the open gate even though she knows better.

These are the only crimes around here that I can think of....Tongue

Oh, there was a big one some 5 years back. A woman who lived 10 miles from here killed a handyman and fed him to her pigs.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-05-2016, 10:52 AM
We have a bit of a heroin problem, thefts from cars, and the occasional shooting or armed robbery. However, it's still a pretty sleepy town, and there's nowhere in it that I'd be afraid to walk alone at any time of day or night. On teaching days I leave my front door unlocked so my students can let themselves in and lock up around 9 PM. I lived alone in Chicago for more than a decade, so I tend to lock things up (my car: always locked) more than other people here.

According to my google search, in my town I have a 1 in 354 chance of becoming the victim of a violent crime and a 1 in 70 chance of becoming the victim of a property crime, both below the medians in my state and the US. My town's got around 33,000 people.