What's the Most Rewarding Thing You've Ever Done?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2013, 09:41 PM
RE: What's the Most Rewarding Thing You've Ever Done?
See? It's not necessarily a "choice." It's about people doing things that they hold in their hearts as "right" to themselves.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
04-03-2013, 09:51 PM
This is a tough one....hmmm. Well, I ain't rich so I haven't donated a lot of money to anything. I think the most I ever donated was $25 to the Wounded Warrior Foundation...I've ran 5k's, 10k's and a half marathon in support of various worthy causes. I've helped to rebuild a defunct elementary school, and I generally try to just be a helpful guy, but I do sometimes get lazy. What was the most rewarding thing though? I dunno. My military service taught me some things, and opened some doors for me. It also insured that I didn't do drugs...but I also have guilt attached to that service as well, not particularly proud for having served. I might say rescuing kitties. My wife and I are veteran kitty rescuers, finding hungry kittens, some very nearly dead, nursing them to health and finding them a good home. My grandmother also gets cats dumped at or near her house. My uncle used to shoot them before I moved back home so my wife and I usually end up with them until we can find a home for them. At our house we have a semi-large semi-feral cat population which we feed, water, and do our best to protect from the very large cat-eating dogs (literally) that live nearby. I have made small kitty shelters for them hide in on my front porch out of large cat litter buckets.

[+] 4 users Like Dark Light's post
04-03-2013, 09:54 PM
What's the Most Rewarding Thing You've Ever Done?
My wife and I had 3 kids.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
04-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Traveling to Sweden to teach diabetic teenagers from several third world countries how to take better care of themselves was pretty rewarding. Especially since it was a peer program (I was 16 at the time). Cool opportunity.

Presently, my job is easing the pain of people who are suffering, so I'm lucky enough to spend a whole lotta hours doing something rewarding. It can also be VERY humbling.

Coaching kids soccer (or any sport) is rewarding. Unfortunately, I hate kids, so that only lasted til my own kid got too old for me to coach. I do recommend it for people who like kids though. If you're looking to do something rewarding that is.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
04-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Having grown up in a violent home where I was often the target, I developed a soft spot for kids who were the outcasts in their own families. When my kids were growing up I had several of their friends that knew my house was a place where they could relax and not deal with bad family issues. Some stayed a short time, some a long time, and some were in and out frequently. I tried to step in here and there and provide a place to breathe. Some have stayed in touch for years so I must have done something right. I kinda miss those days when there were always teens hanging out and eating all our food.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
05-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Working with the veterans. Working FOR the veterans.

When you take the time to do your job right and go above and beyond their basic needs, they really do appreciate it, and they will let you know.

With so much confusion going on when they visit the hospital, you should make their visit as less confusing as possible. Explain procedures, give them info about their next appointment, and thank them for their service to the country. This is something I try to do every day, no matter how screwed-up my day is going.

Jesus loves you, but the Devil gives you cool shit.
[+] 3 users Like thewellkeptwoman's post
05-03-2013, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 09:25 AM by Vera.)
I've always thought that in another life I would've liked to foster kids. Not really small kids, but 11-12 yo and teens. Those who no one is going to adopt. Sadly, I don't think I'll do it now.

My volunteering experience wasn't what I expected it to be (not nearly as helpful as I wanted it to be) and I'll choose somewhat differently this time (and the next ones), but it was still a positive experience.

As for the rest of it, my current signature, kinda sums up how I feel about it; translated into English is basically says that to be great (or even a decent human being, I've never aimed at great) you should put everything you are into the smallest things you do. That's about it.

(Stark, if you peek into this thread again - whereabouts in Sweden did you do that project?)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
05-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Vera, we were just outside Linchoping (sp?). For a week before that I stayed at a cabin in the archepellago. Incredible!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
05-03-2013, 09:39 AM
(05-03-2013 09:31 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Vera, we were just outside Linchoping (sp?). For a week before that I stayed at a cabin in the archepellago. Incredible!
Oh man! I lived in Linköping for a year Heart Lovely place (as is the whole country).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
05-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Most extraordinary "thing"??
Easy!
Helped create and then raise two extraordinary children!
[+] 3 users Like RaisdCath's post