What's the coolest thing you have seen in the sky?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2015, 10:44 AM
RE: What's the coolest thing you have seen in the sky?
(26-10-2015 06:26 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I used to take LSD a bit when I was younger, so... are we talking about real things in the sky, or do hallucinations count?

That's what I was thinking... if they do count then the coolest thing I saw was a Great White Shark with it's tail attached to a Chinese lantern floating off into space.... yep.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2015, 11:41 AM
(26-10-2015 10:44 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 06:26 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I used to take LSD a bit when I was younger, so... are we talking about real things in the sky, or do hallucinations count?

That's what I was thinking... if they do count then the coolest thing I saw was a Great White Shark with it's tail attached to a Chinese lantern floating off into space.... yep.

I once saw a Valkyrie with enormous tits fly across the sky, leaving a fart trail of clouds behind her. Ah, good ol' drugs.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
26-10-2015, 11:43 AM
(26-10-2015 11:41 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 10:44 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  That's what I was thinking... if they do count then the coolest thing I saw was a Great White Shark with it's tail attached to a Chinese lantern floating off into space.... yep.

I once saw a Valkyrie with enormous tits fly across the sky, leaving a fart trail of clouds behind her. Ah, good ol' drugs.

Oh god, that "trumps" mine, lol.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
26-10-2015, 12:38 PM
(25-10-2015 06:01 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Early evening bat feeding frenzy over Hangzhou's West Lake at the height of mosquito season.

If you ever have the chance to watch the bats coming out of Carlsbad Caverns you should check it out.

Quote:Runner up: A-10 dispensing freedom

I spent a couple of years at McGregor range in the early 80's. Lots of night shots of Nike Hercules and several Pershing II launches which were pretty cool but my favorite was the Vulcans. From a distance they looked like red lasers curving through the sky.

I got to see a night launch of the Shuttle from the LC 39 observation gantry once too. That was fucking impressive.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
26-10-2015, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 03:03 PM by Grasshopper.)
Well, I live in a good-sized city (Madison, WI), and between light pollution and trees and buildings cutting off a good bit of the sky, I don't see much of anything anymore. But there have been a few times:

1. The Aurora Borealis is rarely seen this far south, but I did see it once when I was a kid. That is probably the most awesome thing I've seen in the sky.

2. This may sound corny, but I saw the Milky Way once while stretched out on a lawn chair in my parents' backyard, and when I reflected on what I was looking at (our galaxy seen edge-on), I had a moment of vertigo -- had to grab the edges of the chair because I couldn't tell which way was up or down, and thought I might fall off. I'm not making this up. It is possible that I may have been high at the time.

3. I love looking at clouds, and have seen just about every variety. Some of my favorites were mammatus clouds (seen just before a storm), clouds seen from above (I've seen these on airplanes and in the mountains), and one time when I was golfing and we had a sunny, blue-sky day, but with what seemed like thousands of small puffy white clouds floating in the blue sky.

4. Somebody else mentioned lightning, and I too love to watch lightning. I prefer to be safely indoors, but several times I've been out on bike rides and got caught in a storm, where there was lightning hitting all around me, and no place to hide. I just kept riding, and hoped I didn't get hit. I don't recommend this, and would never do it intentionally, but it sure was exhilarating.

5. I've seen many magnificent sunrises, but my favorite was from above treeline on Longs Peak (near Chasm Lake) in Colorado, looking east at Twin Sisters silhouetted against the sunrise. Just before the sun came up, there were distinct bands of pastel color on the horizon, almost like a rainbow. This may have something to do with altitude, as I've seen the same sort of thing from airplanes a few times. I have photos, but not in a form I can post here. This was before digital cameras.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
26-10-2015, 03:08 PM
Best. Thing. Ever. I converted almost immediately.

[Image: latest?cb=20110831184218]

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 6 users Like Tonechaser77's post
26-10-2015, 06:14 PM

(26-10-2015 09:41 AM)yakherder Wrote:  [Image: God-monty-python-380132_800_441.jpg]

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
26-10-2015, 06:33 PM
(25-10-2015 09:50 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Looking to the East of a morning and admiring Venus before the Sun's rays occlud it.

Not sure what the smaller planet which is appearing close to it is.

Mars?

I know Venus and Jupiter had a conjunction not that long ago...

Venus, Mercury and Mars. It was cool seeing Mars give off red light. I don't have my telescope yet so I only viewed it with binoculars, but still pretty cool

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Octapulse's post
26-10-2015, 07:00 PM
Once flying home to California, (I think we were over southern Colorado or maybe northern New Mexico), far below us, were two fighter jets flying in formation.
That was the coolest thing I ever saw in the sky.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-10-2015, 07:17 PM
(26-10-2015 12:38 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  If you ever have the chance to watch the bats coming out of Carlsbad Caverns you should check it out.

They are fucking organizing before they go out. Blink

#sigh