What's the coolest thing you have seen in the sky?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2015, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2015 06:24 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
RE: What's the coolest thing you have seen in the sky?
I saw the first-ever B-2 bomber flyby, in public, as it practically scraped the goalposts flying through the stadium at USAFA, when we played Navy. Not to be outdone, the USN flew a tanker with the words GO NAVY on the bottom, with two aircraft in refueling position (not attached, but the lines were out and the planes in place to hook up) and four more in vee formation behind and outside of them. Dangerous at 30,000 feet; they did it at not more than 500. Absolutely incredible.

But my favorite thing I ever saw was when my dad woke me up and took me out every day for a week at 4AM to Gould's Inlet, an isolated part of the island where I grew up that juts out into the sea, away from all the lights of the island, so my nine-year-old eyes could look out over the ocean and see this with our binoculars:

[Image: halley.jpg]

Edit to Add: That's not a photo we took; it's just the closest one to the way it looked in my memory. 1986 was a good year... Top Gun, which is the reason I got so interested in flying that I went to USAFA, came out a month or so after I saw the comet. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
31-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Shooting/falling stars. They always ALWAYS mesmerize me.

Be true to yourself. Heart
01-11-2015, 12:27 AM
In the past 15 years or so the coolest thing I've seen in the sky were simply stars. Not moving, not shooting. Just stars that appeared to be sitting there not doing anything special.

I live in a suburb that has A LOT of light pollution, and I can't see any stars at home. My parents live in a rural area, and on one of my trips there earlier in the year I went outside at night, looked up, and was amazed. It was one of the most beautiful sights I'd ever seen.

When I was a kid I'd sometimes go outside at lie back in a chaise lounge chair and watch the nighttime sky and be mesmerized. I miss those days.
01-11-2015, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2015 12:52 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
When I was in the Air Force, I was stationed at Carswell AFB in Fort Worth, across the runway from what was then the General Dynamics (now Lockheed) factory. About every ten day r so, and F-16 would roll off the assembly line, and then they'd take it up and put it through its paces, a show that smoked any T-Birds or BA show I've seen.

And these clouds one day driving home from work:

[Image: 2rc7ic2.jpg]

[Image: 24bt0l4.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
01-11-2015, 02:40 AM
(29-10-2015 09:59 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  This was pretty cool.

[Image: IMAG0192_zps2dfc411f.jpg]

It was funnel cloud trying to form over the intracoastal in Corpus Christi on a mostly clear day. Here is a wider view. The way it just kinda chopped the end of could off was something I'd never seen before.

[Image: IMAG0191_zps8e6711e2.jpg]
That sign. (^_^)
04-11-2015, 11:00 AM
I once saw a cloud that looked like the island of Britain, you could make out the top of Scotland, Norfolk/Suffolk, Kent and the western part of Wales.
04-11-2015, 02:51 PM
(04-11-2015 11:00 AM)cmr211 Wrote:  I once saw a cloud that looked like the island of Britain, you could make out the top of Scotland, Norfolk/Suffolk, Kent and the western part of Wales.

But did it maintain a stubborn distance from the Europe-cloud?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
04-11-2015, 02:59 PM
(01-11-2015 01:40 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  When I was in the Air Force, I was stationed at Carswell AFB in Fort Worth, across the runway from what was then the General Dynamics (now Lockheed) factory. About every ten day r so, and F-16 would roll off the assembly line, and then they'd take it up and put it through its paces, a show that smoked any T-Birds or BA show I've seen.

And these clouds one day driving home from work:

[Image: 2rc7ic2.jpg]

[Image: 24bt0l4.jpg]

Those are the mammatus clouds that I mentioned in my post (not the same clouds, but the same type of clouds).
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
04-11-2015, 03:35 PM
(25-10-2015 02:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  When we still lived in California must have been around 2001 there was meteor shower that was amazing!

The older kid and I stayed up late counting them all. There was one every few seconds...

That was fun.

I remember that night! It was magical - there were thousands of them! I was at a bonfire party in a strawberry field. Met the smokin' hot quarterback of one of the local high schools that night - he got my digits and then I went back to my best friend's house.

When we pulled in the driveway the shower was in full force. We sat out back at the infinity pool with the meteors dancing up above. I giggled to my friend about wishing on a shooting star after meeting that guy. Rolleyes

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
04-11-2015, 03:44 PM
I'm with Anjele on this one. Lightning is such an awesome sight and the sound. I love it.