What's the coolest thing you have seen in the sky?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2015, 04:40 PM
RE: What's the coolest thing you have seen in the sky?
(04-11-2015 02:59 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 01:40 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  When I was in the Air Force, I was stationed at Carswell AFB in Fort Worth, across the runway from what was then the General Dynamics (now Lockheed) factory. About every ten day r so, and F-16 would roll off the assembly line, and then they'd take it up and put it through its paces, a show that smoked any T-Birds or BA show I've seen.

And these clouds one day driving home from work:

[Image: 2rc7ic2.jpg]

[Image: 24bt0l4.jpg]

Those are the mammatus clouds that I mentioned in my post (not the same clouds, but the same type of clouds).

I had thought so, thanks for confirming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2015, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 04:59 PM by Free Thought.)
(04-11-2015 03:44 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I'm with Anjele on this one. Lightning is such an awesome sight and the sound. I love it.

What's not to love about it?

The particles in the air become excited by pressure and temperature change, and suddenly when excitation reaches its peak, a current forms from the heavens to the ground and passes through in an instant; the energy is so great that the very air around is ionised, producing plasma as the charge moves along its path. Instants later, the fact of the strike is reinforced; the air around expands with force akin to a sonic boom; a mighty explosion of sound befitting only such an event, and all those near have no choice but to hear and bear witness to the grandness and majesty of nature and it's forces at work, far larger than they may ever dream to be.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
04-11-2015, 05:00 PM
(04-11-2015 04:55 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 03:44 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I'm with Anjele on this one. Lightning is such an awesome sight and the sound. I love it.

What's not to love about it?

The particles in the air become excited by pressure and temperature change, and suddenly when excitation reaches its peak, a current forms from the heavens to the ground and passes through in an instant; the energy is so great that the very air around is ionised, producing plasma as the charge moves along its path. Instants later, the fact of the strike is reinforced; the air around expands with force akin to a sonic boom; a mighty explosion of sound befitting only such an event, and all those near have no choice but to hear and bear witness to the grandness and majesty of nature and it's forces at work, far larger than they may ever dream to be.

Yabut, tell that to the dog hiding under the bed.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
04-11-2015, 06:17 PM
FreeThought, our resident poet. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
04-11-2015, 06:39 PM
At an air show a B2 bomber buzzed the field, we could see it coming but could not hear a sound until the motherfucker flew past, then my underwear got sucked out of my shorts when it hit the afterburners.

[Image: 091217-f-2722l-001.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
04-11-2015, 06:48 PM
(04-11-2015 06:17 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  FreeThought, our resident poet. Smile

Needs more haiku.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Another cool lightning day.
I was flying home from Yakima at 8500', and this storm was walking north past Mt. Adams on lightning legs. I gave it a wide berth out of respect for the power, and passed north of Mt. Rainier.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
04-11-2015, 08:35 PM
(04-11-2015 06:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  At an air show a B2 bomber buzzed the field, we could see it coming but could not hear a sound until the motherfucker flew past, then my underwear got sucked out of my shorts when it hit the afterburners.

Not to nitpick, but they don't have afterburners.
04-11-2015, 08:42 PM
chemtrails

the satellite that shots a gay ray

Birds and bats always impress me.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
04-11-2015, 09:25 PM
(04-11-2015 08:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 06:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  At an air show a B2 bomber buzzed the field, we could see it coming but could not hear a sound until the motherfucker flew past, then my underwear got sucked out of my shorts when it hit the afterburners.

Not to nitpick, but they don't have afterburners.

Perhaps a Bone? (B1 bomber)

They are cooler than the B2, anyway. It was just a big deal to me that I saw the first-ever flyby, unannounced; it just showed up and flew over during a "parade" of aircraft that were making flybys for the game.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson