What's the coolest thing you have seen in the sky?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2015, 09:35 PM
RE: What's the coolest thing you have seen in the sky?
(04-11-2015 06:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  At an air show a B2 bomber buzzed the field, we could see it coming but could not hear a sound until the motherfucker flew past, then my underwear got sucked out of my shorts when it hit the afterburners.

[Image: 091217-f-2722l-001.jpg]

Whiteman Air Force Base is just 2/3 I-70 exits east of me! I saw one flying by, and it did sound like a continuous crack of thunder! Thumbsup And it was WAY up!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2015, 09:54 PM
(04-11-2015 09:35 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 06:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  At an air show a B2 bomber buzzed the field, we could see it coming but could not hear a sound until the motherfucker flew past, then my underwear got sucked out of my shorts when it hit the afterburners.

Whiteman Air Force Base is just 2/3 I-70 exits east of me! I saw one flying by, and it did sound like a continuous crack of thunder! Thumbsup And it was WAY up!

You're in Jackson or Johnson County, MO?

(Edit to add: I'm less than a month, hopefully--assuming this deal goes through--from moving to Jackson County.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
04-11-2015, 10:57 PM
(04-11-2015 08:35 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  

Not to nitpick, but they don't have afterburners.

OK. All I know is I couldn’t hear it and then I was vibrating from the roar.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
04-11-2015, 11:40 PM
Definitely not a B-2, then. They're really quiet due to the heat-baffling (extra air added to the exhaust to cool the infrared signature). The B-1, on the other hand, sounds like Thor's Hammer striking metal a hundred times a second, when the 'burners go off.

Top one is the B-1 Lancer (aka "Bone"), and the bottom one is the B-2 Spirit (aka "Stealth Bomber").

[Image: B_1andB_2_001D.jpg]

When I was incarcerated at Lansing Prison, it was on the flight route for the B-2s returning from overseas missions (they fly in over the Gulf, then up to their base west of Kansas City, MO), so I saw literally dozens flying overhead... sometimes in strings of five or six, about a minute behind one another, at very low altitude. Was very cool.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
05-11-2015, 12:46 AM
Yeah, his posted pics are of a B-2. Beautiful planes! I've only seen one airborne, at an airshow I worked as a firefighter.

Afterburners are not terribly stealthy, not only for noise, but most importantly because of heat signature.

As an aside, since RS mentioned the B-1, another amazing thing I saw in the air was a B-1 doing an airshow flyby, low and speedy directly over the runway, and then pulling up into a steep chandelle. I was sure I was going to see a $100 million hole -- that pilot was definitely working stick-and-rudder.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
07-11-2015, 08:43 PM
I've seen a lot of planes, and plenty of ordinary balloons. One was a black cargo plane, but most were the 6 or 8 passenger kind, because those landed at the airport on the horizon. I've also seen smaller meteors and their tails. There was a white one the other night without a tail, but it was <> shaped with a dark spot in the middle. I've seen a green humming bird that flew up and stopped right in front of my face before. Uhm... There was a gargantuan red balloon that was far bigger than the usual kind on the horizon that went away in seconds. There was also a feint green ball something that was quietly descending at what I have to assume is maybe 50mph, because it was a 35 mph road and my sister was driving at the time. (She pointed out the red one to me) It wasn't really very high.

I guess I'll go with the humming bird. You don't get one right in front of you every day.
08-11-2015, 10:26 PM
We were flying home from Anchorage to Kodiak, AK, after beeing delayed for nearly a week because Mt Redoubt decided to blow its top.

As we flew through the night sky, I noticed green lights flickering in the distance--the Aurora. It wasn't very strong, no giant flukes of green, but it was still pretty dazzling.

Then our plane began to turn. The full moon came into view, and my jaw dropped. I'm not sure how or why, but the moon was red. Not lunar-eclipse red. It was apocalyptic red. Completely saturated with red.

Maybe it was because of the recent volcano eruption, the Aurora, or a mix of both. I don't remember well enough, but maybe there WAS a lunar-eclipse at the time and it was amplified by the local atmosphere.

Nevertheless, it was spectacular. I wish I'd taken a photo, even though I only had a potato phone at the time. No lunar eclipse has compared since.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post