What's the difference between the big three religious texts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Question What's the difference between the big three religious texts?
Yes, yes, "google", "wikipedia". Let me just interact with the boards more for information.

What are the major differences between the main Jewish, Christian, and Islamic religious texts?

My understanding was always:

Judaism: old testament
Christianity: old testament, plus new testament
Islamic: old testament, plus new testament, plus Mohammed's additions?

If correct, are the "testaments" between the three based on an original, but rewritten so much that they might as well be completely new and separate from each other?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2013, 09:04 PM
RE: What's the difference between the big three religious texts?
From what I understand, the Tanakh or Hebrew bible, is essentially the same as the Old Testament of the Christian bible with some exceptions. The Tanakh is 24 books cut into three separate sections (Torah, Nevi'im, and Ketuvim). The Old Testament is 39 books cut and arranged differently from the Tanakh. The same basic scripture is there, only presented in a different way.

The Quran, on the other hand, is basically the musings of Muhammad. The scripture touches on teachings and stories from the Old and New Testament and expanded on by Muhammad. It also gives accounts of historical events, and presented in lesson form by Muhammad. The Quran is said to be direct revelation from Gabriel given through the illiterate Muhammad, so by and large I look at it as a spiritual journal of sorts.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply