What's the dumbest thing you've done?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2016, 09:10 PM
RE: What's the dumbest thing you've done?
(15-05-2016 07:39 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Lighting farts, as a drunken student at 3AM on a deserted city street, and getting sprung by a cruising cop car.

Hell, I've seen sober sailors doing that, aboard ship. They were clothed, fortunately. Bet the cops had a good laugh?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
15-05-2016, 10:17 PM
OK, I'm reminded of another incident that is way dumber. I wonder how far I will descend into this pit, as I think about my past dumbitude (neologism).

When I was about 15, one of my friends used to go with his dad (who worked second shift in a machine shop) to work sweeping up, on Friday nights. That shop manufactured parts out of magnesium. He would bring home big bags of machining chips. We used to light it on fire everywhere. Spectacular white flame, with an ultraviolet component (I did not know that at the time, we could have suffered permanent retinal damage, and I think that I actually may have suffered some macular damage from it. I'll have to ask my Optometrist next time I get an eye exam). Back in the day, we lived in a pretty rural area. The trash cans were 55 gallon drums with lids cut off, a cheesy axle with two tiny hard rubber wheels and a notch torched out for a hand hold. On one trash day, we put the empty barrel in the back yard with a one pound coffee can that we had packed with magnesium shavings and poured water in. Then I set it on fire, and stepped back. Once the strand I had pulled up as a wick reached the water, the bundle of shavings that was immersed in the water promptly exploded, sending shards of flaming magnesium up into the air...into this really large tree in that yard. Now the tree is on fire, and we know can't put it out with water from the hose, as that will actually accelerate the fire. We had to wait until the white fire died out, before we could use the hose. The inside of that barrel looked like the inside of an automobile exhaust pipe- a nice uniform gray ash. We were lucky that the tree caught the flaming metal, as it would have otherwise landed on us. Good times, when you survive to talk about them!
[+] 6 users Like Fireball's post
15-05-2016, 10:29 PM
One of the dumbest things I've ever done was take some ambien right before getting on a Skype video call with a new friend. This invariably make the Skype call go a little longer because who doesn't like a stoned, mentally compromised woman?

Well! It was said to me that there's "normal" Aliza who is tactful, appropriate and polite. Then there is "direct" Aliza who does things on those video calls which sober Aliza would most definitely not approve of. Angel Angel Angel
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
15-05-2016, 11:38 PM
Join TTA Dodgy Angel

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
16-05-2016, 12:05 AM
I have done too many stupid things to list. One that stands out is breaking my nose with a drumstick in front of a packed house of around 800 people. I finished the song and then we took a break while I cleaned up. Happily I was in a kind of "Boy band" and the audience consisted of 90% concerned female fans. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
16-05-2016, 05:52 AM
(15-05-2016 10:17 PM)Fireball Wrote:  OK, I'm reminded of another incident that is way dumber. I wonder how far I will descend into this pit, as I think about my past dumbitude (neologism).

When I was about 15, one of my friends used to go with his dad (who worked second shift in a machine shop) to work sweeping up, on Friday nights. That shop manufactured parts out of magnesium. He would bring home big bags of machining chips. We used to light it on fire everywhere. Spectacular white flame, with an ultraviolet component (I did not know that at the time, we could have suffered permanent retinal damage, and I think that I actually may have suffered some macular damage from it. I'll have to ask my Optometrist next time I get an eye exam). Back in the day, we lived in a pretty rural area. The trash cans were 55 gallon drums with lids cut off, a cheesy axle with two tiny hard rubber wheels and a notch torched out for a hand hold. On one trash day, we put the empty barrel in the back yard with a one pound coffee can that we had packed with magnesium shavings and poured water in. Then I set it on fire, and stepped back. Once the strand I had pulled up as a wick reached the water, the bundle of shavings that was immersed in the water promptly exploded, sending shards of flaming magnesium up into the air...into this really large tree in that yard. Now the tree is on fire, and we know can't put it out with water from the hose, as that will actually accelerate the fire. We had to wait until the white fire died out, before we could use the hose. The inside of that barrel looked like the inside of an automobile exhaust pipe- a nice uniform gray ash. We were lucky that the tree caught the flaming metal, as it would have otherwise landed on us. Good times, when you survive to talk about them!

...and that's why we call him Fireball. Tongue

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
16-05-2016, 03:29 PM
I've done so many, especially in my younger days. It would usually involve zippo lighter fuel, a rope and a box of matches. One thing comes to mind that was really stupid. My friend went on a school hike in the hills and passed by an area that is used for military maneuvers and training. He snuck off from the rest and started having a look around and found an unexploded "shell". He managed to get it home, called for me and off we went to the back field, excited about the fact we were going to set off a "bomb". It was some sort of canister with a spring mechanism. Being a dumb young teenager I held the device and flicked the spring thingy, threw it and ran away. We waited about 5 minutes. Nothing. We went back and decided to throw stones at it to make it go off. One large rock had a direct hit and suddenly there was a sizzling sound. We ran. The noise got louder and thick white smoke billowed from the canister. We kept running. The smoke slowly blew across the neighbourhood and caused cars to slow down and stop on the main road. It was exiting but we disappeared as soon as we heard police sirens. I'm not sure what the canister was but might have been some sort of phosphorus marker. Very silly thing to do.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
16-05-2016, 03:46 PM
(15-05-2016 10:17 PM)Fireball Wrote:  OK, I'm reminded of another incident that is way dumber. I wonder how far I will descend into this pit, as I think about my past dumbitude (neologism).

I was at the Motorcycle hill climbs in Muskegon Mich, many years ago -- and camped out over night.... At one point in the evening , I saw a huge white glow like the world's biggest arc welder -- and went to investigate..... Some genius had tossed a magnesium rim into a fire, and it caught.

Somebody had dragged it out of the fire --- and the "genius" was about to throw a bucket of water on it......

What happens when you throw water onto a magnesium fire is similar to what happens when you drop heated glass (like marbles) into cold water. It shatters. when then happens oxygen can now attack more surface area, and the fire increases.

End result -- a bigassed explosion.

I had to physically tackle the "genius" to keep him from killing himself....... (and all the bystanders including me...).....

It was on sand -- so we just let it burn itself out --- and they got some rough "glass" outta the deal. It burned hot enough to fuse the sand into glass...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
16-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Dealing with "bad people" my parents warned me about and ending in front of a judge who gave me "in doubt for the accused" in a trial worth 6y without parole.

And we all know what happens to young, handsome 20y old guys in most prisons. Gasp

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
16-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Slapping 130 proof alcohol-based testosterone gel on my coin purse. It was the worst of times, it was the best of times.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus