What's the feeling?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2016, 10:37 AM
What's the feeling?
Hello, hope this topic finds you all healthy.

For the past year, every time i take a 2h drive, which I do 3 times a month, I let my mind wonder to a sequence of images where I am confronted with different situations based on the same premise: I am about to engage in combat with one or more adversaries. The reason is on my side and so it feels just to mess them up as I like.

The result is a strong feeling of accomplishment/ happiness and possibly of superiority toward the adversary that I believe does not equal any other I've ever felt.

I am usually a confident person and in this area, even more so. I have no doubt I could replicate any of the said contexts in a real confrontation.

My questions to you, that have already found yourself in a similar but real situation, is: What did you feel ? Where can I find that feeling outside this context? Is it just the ego pulling me toward a sense of superiority?

Stay well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2016, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2016 11:10 AM by jennybee.)
RE: What's the feeling?
I think it is the ego, yes. I don't think I'm superior to others, so haven't experienced that. I do think there are things I am very good at--maybe more so than others--but I also think there are some things that others are superior in over myself. I believe everyone has strengths and weaknesses in certain areas, so while you may be superior in one area, in others, you may be lacking. So feeling superior to others is really a waste of time and energy, imo.

Also in a real life combat situation, there are so many variables. I think being overconfident could actually work against you. Never underestimate your opponent.

Welcome to TTA, btw! Smile
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
03-04-2016, 03:40 PM

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-04-2016, 11:35 PM
It sounds like you're on a fast track to an ass whipping.
04-04-2016, 10:12 AM
What's the feeling?
I'm not superior, but I'm probably better than the average person in a fight. I know I'm not great or superior because during sparring I got laid flat by a guy who had been a real-life underground fighter.

Like Jenny said, it's good to know your strengths and weaknesses. It won't be fun for you to realize or think about your weaknesses, but I suggest that for anyone.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
04-04-2016, 10:38 AM
I prefer not to think of such things.

Just think of all the paperwork I'd have to do after shooting somebody who sorely needs being shot.....

The horror

The horror.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-04-2016, 11:34 AM
I've always been fascinated by the idea that people ever fantasize about violence; and I'm even more dumbfounded when it becomes obvious that some people actively seek it out or intentionally pursue situations where violence might erupt. After about age 13 and the usual schoolyard antics people have to put up with during that phase of life it never occurred to me that violence would really be a part of my life, and certainly not something I'd go chasing after. I have a stepbrother, well that whole side of the family really if I'm honest, who looks at the possibility of getting in a fight while he's out drinking or hanging around with his buddies as a genuinely exciting prospect. The night of my stepsister's ex-husband's bachelor party, for example, getting ready in the hotel waiting for the limo to pick us up they were all thinking out loud about scenarios where they might have to kick someone's ass. Sure enough it ended up happening when they were leaning out the limo windows being total d-bags and someone alledgedly spit at them. They jumped out of the moving car and beat the two guys up. I stayed in the limo, lol.

I don't see the appeal really and I've found that through my entire adult life violence has been easy to avoid and that most people who get jumped or get into a bad situation have done something to earn it. I'm not talking about getting mugged or sexually assaulted, that could happen to anyone. I'm talking about people who think getting in a fistfight is an unavoidable consequence of going out to a bar. It's pretty easy to avoid really, just don't be a dick and don't fuck with people.

To the OP, I'm curious, do you tend to actually get into fights and altercations or is this more just like a mental/emotional exercise you occasionally entertain?

I will admit I've occasionally thought about what I would do if approached by someone who intended harm to me or my loved ones, but I think that's more a survival instinct, wanting to be prepared; like the way you have an exit plan for the family in case there's a fire in the house. I know some basics of self-defense and took karate for a few years as a kid. But to me that just seems like a basic life skill to have, like being able to swim or knowing the Heimlich Maneuver.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post