What's the key points of the Moral Compass arguement ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 07:12 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
What's the key points of the Moral Compass arguement ?
And I am asking the theists this question.

Out of pure curiosity. Just heard it on a MSNBC show or something.

And since I am an atheist apparently without such a moral compass, with all due respect, what, do you theists think, have driven me not to have killed someone for breakfast this morning ?

Besides, why a moral compass, instead of just good old moral ? So that people can be exposed of equal dosages of both good and evil choices ? So that believers can sell slaves, force opium wars, and find their way back to the Thanksgiving dinner without an American Indian at the table ?

Want something? Then do something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 06:59 PM
RE: What's the key points of the Moral Compass statement ?
What is the moral compass statement exactly?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2014, 01:20 PM
RE: What's the key points of the Moral Compass arguement ?
(02-01-2014 06:58 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  And I am asking the theists this question.

Out of pure curiosity. Just heard it on a MSNBC show or something.

And since I am an atheist apparently without such a moral compass, with all due respect, what, do you theists think, have driven me not to have killed someone for breakfast this morning ?

Besides, why a moral compass, instead of just good old moral ? So that people can be exposed of equal dosages of both good and evil choices ? So that believers can sell slaves, force opium wars, and find their way back to the Thanksgiving dinner without an American Indian at the table ?

I'm not a theist, but I'll take a stab anyway.

The 'compass' is about good and evil. Not so that there are equal amounts, but so you can use it as a means of determining what is good and what is evil.

The argument I think you're talking about is 'objective morality'. It goes, basically, that all morality flows from god. God tells us what is good, what is evil, allowing us to then decide what to do knowing good from evil. Atheists do not follow or believe in god, so we lack any form of objective morality. The knee-jerk reaction is that we thus have no morals at all. A more thoughtful one is that morality is subjective and that means that the Holocaust was moral because those in the country it was being done in thought it was moral at the time, or that at least they felt correctly for their culture they were being moral and we are now judging them through a different morality. It would, however, be just our opinion that the atrocities of WW2 were immoral and we have no way to justify our opinion as being more valid than the opinions of the Nazi party.

As for why you haven't killed anyone so far, I think the usual argument is fear of getting caught or getting hurt or killed yourself in the attempt.

So yeah. I think that's it.
05-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Re: RE: What's the key points of the Moral Compass statement ?
(02-01-2014 06:59 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  What is the moral compass statement exactly?

The moral compass anyways points North.

Isn't it supposed to be considered what people think their basis for their morality is? Like how so many people think it's the Bible despite their juxtaposed positions on morality.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Obviously the moral compass points north toward Santa Claus.

The compass reference means that they can point the compass in any direction they want and that direction becomes "Good"
This is why they are all constantly lost and have no true north and no true moral direction.
You have 50,000 different denominations with compasses pointing in 50,000 different directions.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
06-01-2014, 06:22 AM
(05-01-2014 01:20 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  As for why you haven't killed anyone so far, I think the usual argument is fear of getting caught or getting hurt or killed yourself in the attempt.

I meant randomly hunting someone for food, since as an atheist, I didn't have a moral compass by definition. And I was joking.

Tongue

Want something? Then do something.
06-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Hmm, interesting, I had a conversation with a fellow just this weekend about how back in the 60s-70s I've had sex with someone I didnt know, just for the pleasure of sex. It was a mutual act and meant nothing more to me or her.

He on the other hand said that he never had sex with anyone unless he knew them well and had a solid relationship with that person... AND, that he had 'morals' where I did not.

I made a quick statement that he was confusing 'self standards' with morals, and asked if he got his from religion. I didnt get any answere and the conversation ended there.

Good thing actually, he was drinking 5 beers to my one, and I wasnt prepared for a debate on the subject . Blush

oops, edit, I'm not a theist.... sorry.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
06-01-2014, 07:59 AM
It is the belief in some objective version of morality that is problematic.

It makes one blind to the logic of responses from any divergent perspective.

This brings up all manner of nonsense ideas like the ideas of bad or evil people.

If one isn't clever enough to realize that different perspective creates a different world view and a different idea of what morality is, the subjective nature of morality is incomprehensible to them.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
06-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Come to think of it, a moral compass is probably obsolete.

A moral GPS™, on the other hand...

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-01-2014, 08:49 AM
(06-01-2014 06:22 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(05-01-2014 01:20 PM)OddGamer Wrote:  As for why you haven't killed anyone so far, I think the usual argument is fear of getting caught or getting hurt or killed yourself in the attempt.

I meant randomly hunting someone for food, since as an atheist, I didn't have a moral compass by definition. And I was joking.

You were. Some theists aren't. Some theists actually seem to believe you need the legal system or the fear of personal injury to keep you from hurting others. OR they insist you 'really know god exists' and are just denying him because you want to sin in other ways. Or that, at the lease, god has put morality in your heart. ... As I wrote, you may have been joking, but they may not be.