What's the longest you've gone off the grid?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2015, 07:07 PM
What's the longest you've gone off the grid?
The term "off the grid" may be a bit vague, so interpret it in whatever way makes the most sense to you: going without internet, or without electricity, without running water, access to medical facilities, whatever.

The longest I've gone without electricity (except for battery-powered flashlights) was 7 days, camping in the mountains. It felt weird coming home to my microwave and refrigerator, and I binged on ice cream the whole afternoon. Laugh out load

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2015, 07:53 PM
RE: What's the longest you've gone off the grid?
Living "Off the grid" -- really refers to not using publicly accessible power (electric or natural gas), water, or sewage............

Of course there are those who also consider the use of electronic funds (credit cards) and internet as part of the "grid"....

It just depends who you're asking....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-07-2015, 07:55 PM
(30-07-2015 07:07 PM)cactus Wrote:  The term "off the grid" may be a bit vague, so interpret it in whatever way makes the most sense to you: going without internet, or without electricity, without running water, access to medical facilities, whatever.

The longest I've gone without electricity (except for battery-powered flashlights) was 7 days, camping in the mountains. It felt weird coming home to my microwave and refrigerator, and I binged on ice cream the whole afternoon. Laugh out load

I did 10 days canoeing and camping in Quetico Provincial Park.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2015, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2015 10:32 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I went helicopter skiing once and was out of cell phone range for about 20 minutes. Does that count ... like fer sure. *Bubble gum snap*

Sadcryface2

Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-07-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm about to reveal some super-secret information.................

My cellphone, my home phone and my internet connection are all listed to Arthur Dent..........................................

If that don't put me "off the grid" --- I don't know what the hell would................

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-07-2015, 08:19 PM
We weren't exactly off the grid but several years ago a snow and ice storm left us without power for 5 days...5 really long, cold days. That's when you notice how early it gets dark in the winter.

We had a battery operated radio and were doing some cooking in the fireplace. It sucked...a lot. No smart phones. Trying to keep the parrots from freezing while also not asphyxiating them in the process.

Did I mention I have always hated camping or anything that resembles camping...even if it's in my own home? Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
30-07-2015, 08:31 PM
A week camping. Never thought of it as being off the grid though.
30-07-2015, 08:35 PM
Never have been or want to be completely off the grid but there have been many many times I have wanted to just move away and live away from civilization.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
30-07-2015, 08:48 PM
There's a grid?

I live in Malaysia.

Dodgy

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
30-07-2015, 08:51 PM
I guess the most off the grid I've ever been would be the horseback riding trip through Mongolia I mentioned in another thread. We were gone just over a month with nothing more than the horses we bought in Inner Mongolia (buying was cheaper than renting from a tour agency, go figure) and the packs we brought with us. We hired two tour guides just to be safe, and spent just over a month going through a few preselected villages in which we bought/traded for just enough food to get us to the next village. Total price of the trip for four people, plus the two tour guides and the horses and about a month's worth of food from various villages for both us and the horses: about $600 lol. Beat that, on the grid first world tourists Tongue

I've been way the fuck out in the sticks plenty of times, but I suppose there's always something that would make it technically not off the grid. My current job involves first taking a commercial flight to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, then taking a company plane way the hell up in the middle of nowhere with about 200 km of very difficult terrain in the middle, for a two week on two week of rotation. The only road back to civilization is the ice truck road for a few weeks out of the year. Yet, even there, we've got modestly equipped dorm style living units with generator based power and WiFi. Can I still call it off the grid if I can sit in my room, post on TTA Forums, and play video games during my off time? I've only done a few shifts so far, as I started my paternity leave just after getting the job, but I freaking love it so far.

At least once a year I do my weekend warrior annual training, which usually consists of two or three weeks of camping in fairly primitive conditions. I still usually manage to find a place to charge my phone, whether it be the generator on the water purification truck or a jury rigged hookup on the otherwise non utility outlet having Humvee.

'Murican Canadian