What's the longest you've gone off the grid?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2015, 08:54 PM
RE: What's the longest you've gone off the grid?
(30-07-2015 08:35 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Never have been or want to be completely off the grid but there have been many many times I have wanted to just move away and live away from civilization.

Me too Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2015, 09:03 PM
(30-07-2015 08:31 PM)pablo Wrote:  A week camping. Never thought of it as being off the grid though.

I've done the camping for a week thing. I just got into backpacking and I love it. I would love to hike the Pacific Crest Trail trail (like Reese Witherspoon/Cheryl Strayed in Wild).

30-07-2015, 09:26 PM
I did the Off The Grid thing for weeks and months at a time when I was a kid.

Of course, there was no grid back then.

Worst 40 years of my life.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
30-07-2015, 09:32 PM
10 days without electricity thanks to the tornado outbreak a few years ago - I lost hundreds of dollars in groceries. Didn't have cellphone reception near my house either because it took out a tower. Still had running water. Marshall law and after dark curfew. Sheriff said looters oughta know they're at risk of being shot on site and the homeowners were well within their rights to defend their property with lethal force if necessary.

Also did 7 days without electricity thanks to an ice storm in December 1998 with roads shut down.

Camping - ummm never more than a few nights. Anywhere I've been hasn't been so far off the grid that there weren't public showers.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
31-07-2015, 01:07 AM
(30-07-2015 08:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm about to reveal some super-secret information.................

My cellphone, my home phone and my internet connection are all listed to Arthur Dent..........................................

If that don't put me "off the grid" --- I don't know what the hell would................

Smile

Don't have a cellphone, don't have a landline and I leech off of ManlyGirl's internet connection. All I'm missing is a safe shack in Montana where I can write my manifesto.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-07-2015, 01:28 AM
I lost all utilities after a quake as my home was damaged pretty badly. If I recall, electricity came back in a couple of days, but water and gas was much longer. It was about 3 days before the national guard showed up handing out water. Some of it was bottled in plastic but some was in aluminum cans that came from a brewery. It looked like this but didn't have the logo or large type. It was white and just said drinking water.

[Image: anheuser-busch-drinking-water-530x333.jpg]
31-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Three days of exercises in the Air Force, living in a tent and having some asshole shout "Alarm Black!" in the middle of the night. Off the grid? Probably not.
31-07-2015, 09:30 AM
(31-07-2015 01:28 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I lost all utilities after a quake as my home was damaged pretty badly. If I recall, electricity came back in a couple of days, but water and gas was much longer. It was about 3 days before the national guard showed up handing out water. Some of it was bottled in plastic but some was in aluminum cans that came from a brewery. It looked like this but didn't have the logo or large type. It was white and just said drinking water.

[Image: anheuser-busch-drinking-water-530x333.jpg]

"Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?"

Yeah ... you were not missed. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
31-07-2015, 09:48 AM
When I resigned as admin of TTA, I disappeared for several months.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
31-07-2015, 11:51 AM
My parents sent me to Bible camp one summer when I was about 10 years old, but there were electric lights, so I would guess never, basically, with the exception of the occasional power outage.

I'm a city girl, I like the grid.