What's the longest you've gone off the grid?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2015, 12:17 PM
RE: What's the longest you've gone off the grid?
We used to have power outages all the time here - as we're rural - and less than a 1/2 mile from the termination of service on this leg of the grid.

Then I got a generator, and a battery bank (industrial equipment batteries) and a 2 kw (4 surge) inverter and hooked it all up for easy change over. When power goes out, I can have it back on in less than two minutes.

Since installing everything -- power has gone out once for more than a couple of hours.

Typical....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
31-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Bunch of wimps. From birth to 8 years old with no grid. Lived in a cabin in the fuckin woods. Bathed in the freezing Upper Truckee River or during the winter my mother boiled water and mixed with cold water then poured it into a big metal horse trough for my sister and I to bath together. I don't think I was ever actually clean for the first 8 years of my life . We had an outhouse (which my little skinny self almost fell into several times), no tv but did use the car radio for music.

My poor mother. She hated it. She had a washboard, a fucking washboard I tell you, to clean the clothes which she hung out in all kinds of weather.

You all think living off the grid is cool. I'm here to tell you it isn't. Being on the grid is the greatest thing ever. Modern science is the greatest thing. Electricity, lightbulbs, TV, computers, running WARM water in a bath tub. Jesus christ, this is heaven.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
31-07-2015, 01:27 PM
(31-07-2015 12:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Bunch of wimps. From birth to 8 years old with no grid. Lived in a cabin in the fuckin woods. Bathed in the freezing Upper Truckee River or during the winter my mother boiled water and mixed with cold water then poured it into a big metal horse trough for my sister and I to bath together. I don't think I was ever actually clean for the first 8 years of my life . We had an outhouse (which my little skinny self almost fell into several times), no tv but did use the car radio for music.

My poor mother. She hated it. She had a washboard, a fucking washboard I tell you, to clean the clothes which she hung out in all kinds of weather.

You all think living off the grid is cool. I'm here to tell you it isn't. Being on the grid is the greatest thing ever. Modern science is the greatest thing. Electricity, lightbulbs, TV, computers, running WARM water in a bath tub. Jesus christ, this is heaven.

That's how my dad lived from the age of 6 til he was 19..... You also get to add in plowing the fields with a pair of horses.. (true shit) No electric or indoor plumbing till he was out of high school..... He only got showers at school. Wood heat, outhouse, windmill, smokehouse...... Real frontier shit.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-07-2015, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2015 01:51 PM by DLJ.)
(31-07-2015 01:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ...
No electric or indoor plumbing till he was out of high school..... He only got showers at school. Wood heat, outhouse, windmill, smokehouse...... Real frontier shit.....

Luxury!

When I were a lad, our dad ...

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
31-07-2015, 01:46 PM
I didn't add our cabin in Alaska because, despite being way out there in a mostly seasonal fishing town, it was pretty damn nice. It looked rustic from the outside, like it might have been pieced together with pieces of kindling or something, but we had steam heating running through the floors and everything. It didn't look nicer than our primary home back in Washington, but it was a more cozy place by far.

'Murican Canadian
31-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Just an aside to say that every time I see this thread I read it as "What's the longest you've gone off the girl?" and that'd be a very different subject....

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
31-07-2015, 05:06 PM
(31-07-2015 12:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Bunch of wimps. From birth to 8 years old with no grid. Lived in a cabin in the fuckin woods. Bathed in the freezing Upper Truckee River or during the winter my mother boiled water and mixed with cold water then poured it into a big metal horse trough for my sister and I to bath together. I don't think I was ever actually clean for the first 8 years of my life . We had an outhouse (which my little skinny self almost fell into several times), no tv but did use the car radio for music.

Raised by hippies were you.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
31-07-2015, 05:52 PM
(31-07-2015 05:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Raised by hippies were you.

Well, after a fashion. My father liked to think of himself as a modern day Henry David Thoreau, philosophising about the world deep in the woods. Instead of Waldon's pond it was Lake Tahoe. The nicest guy in the world my dad, but my mother had to put her foot down we moved to civilization.

One good thing. I didn't have any contact with religion.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
31-07-2015, 06:30 PM
(31-07-2015 05:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Raised by hippies were you.

Well, after a fashion. My father liked to think of himself as a modern day Henry David Thoreau, philosophising about the world deep in the woods. Instead of Waldon's pond it was Lake Tahoe. The nicest guy in the world my dad, but my mother had to put her foot down we moved to civilization.

One good thing. I didn't have any contact with religion.

Lake Tahoe must have been awesome growing up....

A group of us did one of the cabins at the Coast Guard's "resort" there.... We had a hell of a good time....... Too bad we drank so much - the memories would be clearer....

Big Grin

31-07-2015, 06:44 PM
(31-07-2015 05:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well, after a fashion. My father liked to think of himself as a modern day Henry David Thoreau, philosophising about the world deep in the woods.

Thoreau was the OG hippie.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus