What's the longest you've gone off the grid?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2015, 06:56 PM
RE: What's the longest you've gone off the grid?
I lived "off the grid" for months at a time [summer months] when I was young and did my grocery shopping with a rifle.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
31-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Back in my hippie days I lived off the grid for years, with an occasional night at a youth hostel.

These days I get about a week of that per year... usually not all at once, but sometimes it's a solid week. And it's not by choice, power outages happen here.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
31-07-2015, 08:01 PM
(31-07-2015 05:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Raised by hippies were you.

Well, after a fashion. My father liked to think of himself as a modern day Henry David Thoreau, philosophising about the world deep in the woods. Instead of Waldon's pond it was Lake Tahoe. The nicest guy in the world my dad, but my mother had to put her foot down we moved to civilization.

One good thing. I didn't have any contact with religion.

*Walden Pond

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2015, 09:13 PM
(31-07-2015 08:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well, after a fashion. My father liked to think of himself as a modern day Henry David Thoreau, philosophising about the world deep in the woods. Instead of Waldon's pond it was Lake Tahoe. The nicest guy in the world my dad, but my mother had to put her foot down we moved to civilization.

*Walden Pond

I'm sitting right now, but I stand corrected.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
31-07-2015, 11:19 PM
About 2 hours when the power was down one time.
Going outside means the terrorists win.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
01-08-2015, 02:48 AM
Mrs Me spent the first 18 years of her life in a house with no running water, electricity or sanitation.
There was a hand pump for water at the bottom of the garden, all cooking and water heating was done on a paraffin stove and lighting was with candles. The toilet was a hole in the ground also in the garden with a floorless shed over it. When full, dig a new hole and move the shed over it!

Oh, and the flooring downstairs was just bare earth.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 1 user Likes stevec's post
01-08-2015, 07:22 PM
(31-07-2015 06:30 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(31-07-2015 05:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well, after a fashion. My father liked to think of himself as a modern day Henry David Thoreau, philosophising about the world deep in the woods. Instead of Waldon's pond it was Lake Tahoe. The nicest guy in the world my dad, but my mother had to put her foot down we moved to civilization.

Lake Tahoe must have been awesome growing up....

A group of us did one of the cabins at the Coast Guard's "resort" there.... We had a hell of a good time....... Too bad we drank so much - the memories would be clearer....

Big Grin

Yes, it's a beautiful place. I used to swim in Lake Tahoe. It's sooo cold.

The Cabin is still there. I google mapped it last year. My grandfather built it in the late 1920's when there were no roads and the only way up to Tahoe was by horseback. When I was in college I went back to The Cabin and the outhouse had been condemned but there was a water heater and other modern improvements. How a family of 6 lived in that thing is beyond me.

It's a part of our family lore now. Anytime my brothers and I get together we spend a lot of time remembering Cabin stories. Someone from National Geographic, who was photographing nature around the area, caught sight of one of my brothers and took a photo of him. He was about 10 at the time and looked like a wild child. It ended up in the magazine.

Haha. Just remembered, we had a crazy ass dog, a black lab named Geronimo. He was seen chasing a mountain lion across some rocks. He would also kill deer. A game warden came by and warned us that our dog had reached his limit on deer and to keep him under control. What a dog.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post