What's the most dangerous thing you've ever done?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2014, 12:33 PM
RE: What's the most dangerous thing you've ever done?
(27-09-2014 11:37 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 11:24 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Kollege?

I did learn something upon your return. You are still an asshole.

You're still a whole ass......and a half.

Hey, Luminon is still here as well! You can find him down in the Politics section, you know, in case you two wanted to jerk each other off or something...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2014, 03:22 PM
I regularly climb into a 4,000 pound metal box with wheels on it and travel at high speeds on a flat, cramped surface with a few thousand other metal boxes traveling at the same speed and guided by angry, sleepy, precaffeinated people who think you're stupid for being on the same flat surface as them. It's one of the most deadly hobbies in the world, and I do it multiple times a day.

I like to live on the edge. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Most dangerous, or dumbest thing that could have easily turned into the most dangerous? I've done plenty of dumb shit that could have easily gotten me maimed or killed, mostly involving alcohol, other mind altering substances, or just plain old youth.

I guess one of the closest calls I've had was at a pasture party. We all decided that the best course of action after plenty of beer drinking was to spin kiddies in the field in a couple of my buddies trucks. It had rained the night before and the ground was slightly firmer than mud, so the ruts we made were deep. I was riding in my friends' quarter ton trying not to spill my beer and egging him on to go faster and harder, my other friend had his pickup loaded with drunks and his 60 year old dad riding standing up in the bed.

It happened so fast I barely remember the sensation of it. The guys in the other truck saw it happen and said our truck hit some ruts, bounced twice, looked like the back end was going to go over but instead the whole vehicle rolled in the air and landed on it's top. I just remember a few seconds of violence and then awkward silence and being upside down.

I called out to my buddy and got no answer. I frantically called out again, and after that heard him calling out to me like he hadn't heard me. I wonder if he wasn't unconscious for a moment. Seconds later the other members of the party were there, screaming to get the truck shut off and get us out. With a little maneuvering we both were able to squeeze out of the windows.

We eventually got the truck turned right side up, with the other pickup, a tow strap and all of us lifting. The top of the cab was level with the steering wheel. My buddy and I walked away with only a few bumps and bruises, and a lesson learned........kinda.

I've been in a few close calls like that, but that one sticks in my mind to this day.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
16-01-2015, 06:18 PM
My girlfriend and I were backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains one day. We were headed up the switchbacks on a crystal clear day. We were at about the 7,500ft elevation on the west face of a mountain, when a thunderstorm circled around from the other side of the mountain. We were not under the thunderstorm clouds. We were not over the the thunderstorm clouds. We were in the thunderstorm clouds, with lightning going off all around us. Every hair on my body was standing on end from all the static energy. It was, quite literally, a hair raising experience.
[+] 4 users Like TheBear's post
16-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Probably have to say hang gliding; particularly the day I decided to try to make it to the further landing spot and realized after it was too late to turn back that I wasn't going to make it. Trying to find a place to land without hitting power lines or houses was.... interesting.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
16-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Got married.
Also counts as stupidest.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
16-01-2015, 11:53 PM
Jumping off a bridge onto the top of a moving train
17-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Had a reaction go exothermic on me once while I was working with triflic anhydride on a 30g scale. The pressure blew the separatory funnel apart in my hands and the extraction sprayed the 2 liters of dichloromethane, water, and other components all over me and the hood. It kinda hurt. I also have had close calls with osmium tetroxide and bromine. My grad school advisor said after the OsO4 incident, "well, if you're dead in the morning, we'll know if you got exposed." I didn't tell my wife for about 3 weeks.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
17-01-2015, 10:11 AM
(16-01-2015 06:18 PM)TheBear Wrote:  My girlfriend and I were backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains one day. We were headed up the switchbacks on a crystal clear day. We were at about the 7,500ft elevation on the west face of a mountain, when a thunderstorm circled around from the other side of the mountain. We were not under the thunderstorm clouds. We were not over the the thunderstorm clouds. We were in the thunderstorm clouds, with lightning going off all around us. Every hair on my body was standing on end from all the static energy. It was, quite literally, a hair raising experience.

I grew up in the Sierra's near Tahoe. Where were you backpacking? It's beautiful in the Sierra's isn't it? I mean, when there's no thunder.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
17-01-2015, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2015 10:08 PM by TheBear.)
(17-01-2015 10:11 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I grew up in the Sierra's near Tahoe. Where were you backpacking? It's beautiful in the Sierra's isn't it? I mean, when there's no thunder.

I forget the specific spot. It might have been Half Dome. We made several trips to that region over the years, Kings Canyon, Yosemite, Sequoia National park, and others. It is very beautiful indeed.