What's the most dangerous thing you've ever done?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2015, 01:12 AM
RE: What's the most dangerous thing you've ever done?
Circa 1968, at age 11, I was in a Girl Guide troop that was doing a litter clean-up at Mont St-Hilaire, a lovely little mountain just east of Montreal. Bear in mind that this is a mountain that My family regularly climbed a couple of times every summer because of the fantastic view from the Crow's Nest, a hollow at the summit of the southern peak.

Well, on this particular day I was up by the northern bump of the mountain (left side of the photo in the Wikipedia article) and decided to climb a fairly steep section (IIRC, about 15-20 feet) to get to the summit.

I got about halfway up. It wasn't as easy a climb as I had expected it to be.

Then I made the mistake of looking back over My shoulder.

What I saw: A spectacular, gut-wrenching view of the 1300-foot drop to what was then known as Highway #9. Letting go would have resulted in very certain death. All I could do from that point on was turn back to the mountainside, clear My mind, focus, and climb as if My very life depended upon it -- Because it quite obviously did.

I've subsequently decided to limit My climbing to ladders, staircases, and hills where I can just drive to the top, park the car, and go "Ooh! Ahh!" in relative safety.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
18-01-2015, 01:37 AM
Ate a hunk of yellow "something" on a bet. Didn't know what it was and I never found out. We'd just found it on ground in the school courtyard.

I was nine-ish, it was spicy, I was ill for three days.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
Find all posts by this user
18-01-2015, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2015 03:09 PM by gofish!.)
Me and my friend had a Mexican standoff with about 6 bouncers in a clip joint in Athens and walked out without a scratch, purely through force intimidation. I've been told I have an "angry face", although it probably helped that my mate is 6' 7" tall, about the same widthwise and had a 4ft length of steel bathroom handrail he'd freshly parted from a concrete wall hastily concealed (not very well) under his jacket.

There are a few other more dangerous occasions but that's the one that sticks in the mind.

Ahh, the halcyon days of youth...

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
18-01-2015, 02:54 PM
I ran from the police on my motorcycle years ago. I got away doing 115 mph through back streets.

If there was such a thing as karma it bit me in the ass months later when I totaled my bike and ended dead for a few minutes.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
18-01-2015, 03:38 PM
I've done many somewhat risky things, so I couldn't really come up with a most dangerous. However, it just occurred to me that free climbing the cross on Mount Royal in the middle of a cold, windy night while re-wiring the lights might be the one. It was open steel girders and about the height of a seven-story building.

We did this more than once, and there is a record of one of them - the time we made it say "TILT". It made the Montreal Gazette the next day, with picture.

[Image: 05necgfb.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-01-2015, 04:59 PM
Reading through this thread, I started thinking about all the dangerous stuff I've done... And most of it I don't feel comfortable saying.

I used to go to the park and shoot arrows straight up, trying to compensate for wind and have them land as close to me as possible. I would fore as many as possible before they started hitting the ground. I cut the side of my shoe open once doing this, and pinned my pantleg to the ground. My friends became unwilling participants. I even would fire at them from across the park when they weren't looking. Not trying to hit them, but get very close. I was an inconsiderate asshole... Luckily I'm a skilled archer.

I've fought and subdued a man who was stabbing another man on the ground. I didn't know either of them, and before it was over, he ended up with his own knife stuck in his shoulder.

I jumped across/over the roof of a moving car traveling about 65km/h on the road in front of my school.

I would light fireworks and throw them in the air when it was entirely too dark to see which way they were facing when they landed. Reason told me to stay close. If the projectile explodes at 100ft, its stupid to run. Of course, my friends ran... That exact distance. One ended up with minor burns on his cheek and temporary deafness. I got hit with one, but since I was close, it just stung like a bitch, bounced off and exploded in the grass.

I've climbed cliffs and buildings without gear. I've biked without armor in BC, and through places that armor wouldn't have even helped, had I taken a fall..

30 minutes after getting behind the wheel of my first car, and learning stick... I was flying down a forested country road, pushing 235.

There were incidents with fire and explosives, but I really can't give any details...

Most of all, I'm just surprised I've never had an STD.

I don't want to do any stupid dangerous shit anymore.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
18-01-2015, 05:03 PM
WATC, don't take this the wrong way but... you're a fucking idiot! Tongue
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
18-01-2015, 05:09 PM
(18-01-2015 05:03 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  WATC, don't take this the wrong way but... you're a fucking idiot! Tongue

IBlush know. I'm just glad I didn't get anyone killed.

Looking back, they're all terrifying, but only one was scary at the time... The guy that was stabbing the other guy. I didn't know wtf was happening, I thought he was punching him! As soon as I grabbed the guy and had him turn and swipe at me, I was thinking "I'VE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE."
18-01-2015, 06:26 PM
(18-01-2015 04:59 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Reading through this thread, I started thinking about all the dangerous stuff I've done... And most of it I don't feel comfortable saying.

I used to go to the park and shoot arrows straight up, trying to compensate for wind and have them land as close to me as possible. I would fore as many as possible before they started hitting the ground. I cut the side of my shoe open once doing this, and pinned my pantleg to the ground. My friends became unwilling participants. I even would fire at them from across the park when they weren't looking. Not trying to hit them, but get very close. I was an inconsiderate asshole... Luckily I'm a skilled archer.

I've fought and subdued a man who was stabbing another man on the ground. I didn't know either of them, and before it was over, he ended up with his own knife stuck in his shoulder.

I jumped across/over the roof of a moving car traveling about 65km/h on the road in front of my school.

I would light fireworks and throw them in the air when it was entirely too dark to see which way they were facing when they landed. Reason told me to stay close. If the projectile explodes at 100ft, its stupid to run. Of course, my friends ran... That exact distance. One ended up with minor burns on his cheek and temporary deafness. I got hit with one, but since I was close, it just stung like a bitch, bounced off and exploded in the grass.

I've climbed cliffs and buildings without gear. I've biked without armor in BC, and through places that armor wouldn't have even helped, had I taken a fall..

30 minutes after getting behind the wheel of my first car, and learning stick... I was flying down a forested country road, pushing 235.

There were incidents with fire and explosives, but I really can't give any details...

Most of all, I'm just surprised I've never had an STD.

I don't want to do any stupid dangerous shit anymore.

I would like to retract my example of dumbfuckery, it has withered and become flaccid in front of the sheer volume of stupid shit you just presented.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
18-01-2015, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2015 09:33 PM by Grasshopper.)
(16-01-2015 06:18 PM)TheBear Wrote:  My girlfriend and I were backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains one day. We were headed up the switchbacks on a crystal clear day. We were at about the 7,500ft elevation on the west face of a mountain, when a thunderstorm circled around from the other side of the mountain. We were not under the thunderstorm clouds. We were not over the the thunderstorm clouds. We were in the thunderstorm clouds, with lightning going off all around us. Every hair on my body was standing on end from all the static energy. It was, quite literally, a hair raising experience.

I've had two somewhat similar experiences, both in Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado):

1. Climbing MacGregor Slab west of Lumpy Ridge with a guide, so he's leading and I'm following. A few hundred feet up, I'm on a hanging belay while the guide climbs above me, and I look up and notice that the carabiner I'm hanging from is half-open, with the sling pinched between the body and the half-open gate. Not good. Fortunately, I was able to yell up, tell him to secure himself, and then climb up and fix the 'biner before anything terrible happened. Shortly after that, a thunderstorm started rolling in, and we had to simul-climb real fast, and then downclimb some fourth class stuff real fast to avoid getting caught in the storm. All's well that ends well, but that was a close one! (actually two close ones)

2. Climbing Longs Peak (via Keplinger's Couloir, a relatively easy third class route), with a party including several professional guides. A few hundred feet from the top, a thunderstorm rolls in, and all we can do is hunker down and wait it out. We can see lightning hitting Mount Meeker (about a quarter mile away), but fortunately, that's the closest it got.

... and then there were several close calls while driving. I am lucky to be alive.

I've also been known to exceed 50 mph going downhill on my bicycle. After sustaining serious injuries in a crash when I was only going about 25 mph, I'm a bit more cautious these days.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post