What's the problem with cussing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2012, 02:34 PM
What's the problem with cussing?
Ok I messaged Ex a couple weeks ago saying I was going to take a break from the forums because of the sense of excessive empathy for theists. Well I got bored and blah blah. I only mention this because Ex may read my post and think "I thought your ass was gone for a while!" lol

Anyway, I was listening to Seth's most recent podcast and of course I hear how he loves Tim Minchin as do I but he had an issue with a song because of kids. Ok if you were a theist at one time I can sorta see why this may be an issue hard to over come but come on man. Shouldn't you realize at some point that it's complete nonsense to even worry about "WORDS." I personally take no issue with cussing. What is the huge deal with cussing? Is it because the religious upbringing is beat into you that deeply?

Now I don't mean just go all ape shit with it, but jeesh enough already.

What are your thoughts?

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
30-03-2012, 02:47 PM
RE: What's the problem with cussing?
The Bible addresses course language and not using speech that doesn't "build up". Since profanities have a negative connotation and seen as unedifying, they are generally shunned by the Christian faith.

I have a pretty different opinion. I don't cuss because it's just not really part of my speaking protocol. They just aren't really in my day-to-day vocabulary.

Profanities are okay to use if edification isn't an issue ie by yourself or around someone who isn't offended.

The Bible uses a lot of colorful language... even English equivalents of modern day profanities.

For instance:

God says He is going to run the people's faces in their own [shit].
Ezekiel calls the people's idols sheep [shit].
Jesus says not to call people [dumbasses].
Paul says "[hell] no" in Romans.
Paul uses the word [shit] in Philippians.
In 1 Samuel Saul calls Jonathan a [son of a bitch].
Jesus calls the Pharisees all kinds of names, which don't have an English equivalent; however, they were considered harsh language.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
30-03-2012, 02:52 PM
And the whole Bible was wrote full of BULLSHIT!

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
[+] 1 user Likes N.E.OhioAtheist's post
30-03-2012, 02:52 PM
I prefer my daughter not learn/use them because of a perceived lack of intelligence and professionalism. I have a cousin who doesn't know an adjective that isn't a curse word.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
30-03-2012, 02:53 PM
(30-03-2012 02:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The Bible addresses course language and not using speech that doesn't "build up". Since profanities have a negative connotation and seen as unedifying, they are generally shunned by the Christian faith.

I have a pretty different opinion. I don't cuss because it's just not really part of my speaking protocol. They just aren't really in my day-to-day vocabulary.

Profanities are okay to use if edification isn't an issue ie by yourself or around someone who isn't offended.

The Bible uses a lot of colorful language... even English equivalents of modern day profanities.

For instance:

Jesus calls the Pharisees all kinds of names, which don't have an English equivalent; however, they were considered harsh language.
I understand the nonsense in the bible reason, that's why I'm confused why it's such a problem for nonbelievers. What reason do you really have for cringing at cussing? Do you have a logical reason why?

— idiot adjective

[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
30-03-2012, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2012 03:02 PM by kineo.)
I think it's a cultural thing. It can be considered disrespectful or offensive. The Japanese language and culture has a whole set of words that must be used when speaking in a respectful manner. Anything less in a situation that demands respectfulness is taboo and shunned.

I think swearing is the same, but just a lesser degree.

For the record, I don't have a problem with swearing, unless it's intentionally hurtful.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
30-03-2012, 02:57 PM
(30-03-2012 02:34 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  Ok I messaged Ex a couple weeks ago saying I was going to take a break from the forums because of the sense of excessive empathy for theists. Well I got bored and blah blah. I only mention this because Ex may read my post and think "I thought your ass was gone for a while!" lol

Anyway, I was listening to Seth's most recent podcast and of course I hear how he loves Tim Minchin as do I but he had an issue with a song because of kids. Ok if you were a theist at one time I can sorta see why this may be an issue hard to over come but come on man. Shouldn't you realize at some point that it's complete nonsense to even worry about "WORDS." I personally take no issue with cussing. What is the huge deal with cussing? Is it because the religious upbringing is beat into you that deeply?

What are your thoughts?
Do you run around insulting people, or run around naked?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
30-03-2012, 02:57 PM
(30-03-2012 02:53 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 02:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The Bible addresses course language and not using speech that doesn't "build up". Since profanities have a negative connotation and seen as unedifying, they are generally shunned by the Christian faith.

For instance:

I understand the nonsense in the bible reason, that's why I'm confused why it's such a problem for nonbelievers. What reason do you really have for cringing at cussing? Do you have a logical reason why?
For unbelievers? Don't know.

I assume it's what Germanyt said. In a non-social situation it appears unprofessional and unintelligent.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
30-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't think it is a bad thing because of any religious overbearing motive.

Maybe it is different to many others but I always was not a big fan of using swear words. I think the silly offbeats like shoot or frick are just as bad or worse in comparison.

My issue with it is it's lazy poor use of vocabulary. I always saw types of kids in school that were just dolts that liked to cuss as if it made them cool.. the problem of exposing it to children is it just teaches them that it's fine to be lazy with you vocabulary and not learn legitmate ways to express yourself which can be humorous as well. I rather enjoyed the reactions of people if you strung out some various Shakespearean line to express your anger at the situation.
30-03-2012, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2012 03:03 PM by Clint Barnett.)
(30-03-2012 02:52 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I prefer my daughter not learn/use them because of a perceived lack of intelligence and professionalism. I have a cousin who doesn't know an adjective that isn't a curse word.
As far as the professionalism, that only applies during business hours in my opinion. As far as intelligence, I understand you say it could be perceived but perception and reality are two different things. What logical reason can you give for not wanting your child to use it. Granted I don't let my children cuss in front of me only because of the religious background I had. Well I've slacked up a bit as they've gotten a little older. I was just curious.
(30-03-2012 02:57 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 02:34 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  Ok I messaged Ex a couple weeks ago saying I was going to take a break from the forums because of the sense of excessive empathy for theists. Well I got bored and blah blah. I only mention this because Ex may read my post and think "I thought your ass was gone for a while!" lol

What are your thoughts?
Do you run around insulting people, or run around naked?
Do you? Completely out of place, I could argue a very reasonable and logical reason for not doing so.

— idiot adjective