What's the problem with cussing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2012, 03:19 PM
RE: What's the problem with cussing?
(30-03-2012 02:58 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  As far as the professionalism, that only applies during business hours in my opinion. As far as intelligence, I understand you say it could be perceived but perception and reality are two different things. What logical reason can you give for not wanting your child to use it. Granted I don't let my children cuss in front of me only because of the religious background I had. Well I've slacked up a bit as they've gotten a little older. I was just curious.
I suppose it's just a social taboo. I just don't want her to become so used to saying them that when she's older it's half of her vocabulary. We all know someone who says shit and fuck in every sentence. It makes me cringe that their vocabulary isn't any better so that they could express themselves intelligently instead of saying things like "I can't fucking believe that some asshole would fucking do that shit". That's a stupid sentence form the mouth of a stupid person IMO. If I was an employer and heard something like that at the grocery store and the guy who said it showed up next week in my office for a job I probably wouldn't hire them.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2012, 03:25 PM
(30-03-2012 02:53 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 02:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The Bible addresses course language and not using speech that doesn't "build up". Since profanities have a negative connotation and seen as unedifying, they are generally shunned by the Christian faith.

I have a pretty different opinion. I don't cuss because it's just not really part of my speaking protocol. They just aren't really in my day-to-day vocabulary.

Profanities are okay to use if edification isn't an issue ie by yourself or around someone who isn't offended.

The Bible uses a lot of colorful language... even English equivalents of modern day profanities.

For instance:

God says He is going to run the people's faces in their own [shit].
Ezekiel calls the people's idols sheep [shit].
Jesus says not to call people [dumbasses].
Paul says "[hell] no" in Romans.
Paul uses the word [shit] in Philippians.
In 1 Samuel Saul calls Jonathan a [son of a bitch].
Jesus calls the Pharisees all kinds of names, which don't have an English equivalent; however, they were considered harsh language.
I understand the nonsense in the bible reason, that's why I'm confused why it's such a problem for nonbelievers. What reason do you really have for cringing at cussing? Do you have a logical reason why?
Have you ever heard someone use the word "like" for every other word? They say it so often that everything else is really hard to hear. Plus, you start wondering if they know any more vocabulary. I personally like Tim Minchin's song, but the repetitive nature, the negativity the society has with the word, and the fact that repeating something enough will have the kids saying it... you probably have enough to deal with without having a kid repeating any word over and over much less "fucking". I personally don't mind cussing, and wouldn't mind it with kids around, but repeating any word or phrase over and over again is a little much especially one that has such a negative social stigma attached to it around kids who often absorb everything.

I don't "cringe" so to speak at cussing. I grew up on a farm, worked on a boat in Alaska, and was a Marine. I have no problem with cussing, it's simply the social negative, repetitive nature, and certain situations that can make it inappropriate.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
30-03-2012, 03:28 PM
(30-03-2012 03:19 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 02:58 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  As far as the professionalism, that only applies during business hours in my opinion. As far as intelligence, I understand you say it could be perceived but perception and reality are two different things. What logical reason can you give for not wanting your child to use it. Granted I don't let my children cuss in front of me only because of the religious background I had. Well I've slacked up a bit as they've gotten a little older. I was just curious.
I suppose it's just a social taboo. I just don't want her to become so used to saying them that when she's older it's half of her vocabulary. We all know someone who says shit and fuck in every sentence. It makes me cringe that their vocabulary isn't any better so that they could express themselves intelligently instead of saying things like "I can't fucking believe that some asshole would fucking do that shit". That's a stupid sentence form the mouth of a stupid person IMO. If I was an employer and heard something like that at the grocery store and the guy who said it showed up next week in my office for a job I probably wouldn't hire them.
I guess I approach situations differently. I know there are people that can and/or can't turn off the taboo language when necessary. I'm quite a cussin fool at home but in public I don't, only because people get offended at the drop of a hat. I do lack a better vocabulary than some because of my educational background. I've improved a lot over the years. I do know it is very much so a relief to just let it all out. Holding back only compacts the stress. Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2012, 03:33 PM
(30-03-2012 02:58 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 02:52 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I prefer my daughter not learn/use them because of a perceived lack of intelligence and professionalism. I have a cousin who doesn't know an adjective that isn't a curse word.
As far as the professionalism, that only applies during business hours in my opinion. As far as intelligence, I understand you say it could be perceived but perception and reality are two different things. What logical reason can you give for not wanting your child to use it. Granted I don't let my children cuss in front of me only because of the religious background I had. Well I've slacked up a bit as they've gotten a little older. I was just curious.
(30-03-2012 02:57 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Do you run around insulting people, or run around naked?
Do you? Completely out of place, I could argue a very reasonable and logical reason for not doing so.
You do not see my point, though perhaps I should have rephrased the questions. For what reasons do you not run around in public naked or insult people regularly?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
30-03-2012, 03:42 PM
(30-03-2012 03:33 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
Do you? Completely out of place, I could argue a very reasonable and logical reason for not doing so.
You do not see my point, though perhaps I should have rephrased the questions. For what reasons do you not run around in public naked or insult people regularly?
Well you see, running around in public will get you arrested. Another reason would be because Sunlight on the skin is how the body produces Vitamin D. An excessive amount of vitamin D can be toxic.
Toxicities include:
Kidney stones, Irreversible kidney damage, Muscle and bone weakness, Excessive bleeding, Loss of appetite, Headache, Excessive thirst, Calcification of soft tissues (blood vessels, kidneys, heart, lungs), Death.
Now these are just some of the medical reasons for not running around naked (sorry I'm a nursing student). As for insulting, I could go into funny medical reasons for not doing this but I'm sure you know where i'm going with this. Again I'm probably not getting your point. I was asking for logical reasons, maybe I should have worded it a little differently in the original post. Smile

— idiot adjective

[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
30-03-2012, 05:40 PM
(30-03-2012 02:34 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  What are your thoughts?

Speaking as an ex-Navy squid, not a goddam fucking thing. In the Navy it saves lives. There's a world of difference between "Watch that rope." and "WATCH THAT FUCKING ROPE!" Guess the only real problem could be if it becomes so conventional, pervasive and ubiquitous that the squids would have to invent something else to express the same urgency, "WATCH THAT GOAT-FUCKING ROPE!" ... Myself, I taught my kids how to properly cuss from an early age. Yeah, I had to explain it to some of their teachers. So fucking what.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-03-2012, 05:54 PM
(30-03-2012 05:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 02:34 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  What are your thoughts?

Speaking as an ex-Navy squid, not a goddam fucking thing. In the Navy it saves lives. There's a world of difference between "Watch that rope." and "WATCH THAT FUCKING ROPE!" Guess the only real problem could be if it becomes so conventional, pervasive and ubiquitous that the squids would have to invent something else to express the same urgency, "WATCH THAT GOAT-FUCKING ROPE!" ... Myself, I taught my kids how to properly cuss from an early age. Yeah, I had to explain it to some of their teachers. So fucking what.
We don't agree on much GirlyMan, but you set me back in my heels, very happy to hear from another military minded person on this matter lmao Tongue

— idiot adjective

[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
30-03-2012, 06:14 PM
I grew up with a father that swore like a sailor, oh wait, he had been a sailor. His father was from Germany and would swear around us kids in German...like we couldn't tell what was going on. He later just gave in to a more Americanized form of swearing. I can and do swear with ease, you would think it's genetic. But. I can also clean up my language when it's appropriate to do so. Around the house, lots of swearing going on...at work...the occasional damn or crap. That's as harsh as it gets.

My kids learned, just like my siblings and I, when to clean up their language.

I am sometimes surprised to hear certain people swear but it's because it's a first for me to hear out of them, but I am never offended by it.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
30-03-2012, 06:23 PM
What the fuck kind of shit question is this, Asshat? Big Grin

Hey Clint, glad you didn't hiatus for too long.

I got over the deeply ingrained don't curse for religious reasons back in college. It was a Christian College so it wasn't the norm to curse. One night there was a group of maybe 10 of us in the whole dorm and we spent the whole evening screaming every curse word we could imagine and then just busting up because none of us had really ever sworn before.

I do think it's more of a civility issue in choosing not to use certain words that are known to be offensive to others.

I also know that feeling, Anjele of having a moment of shock the first time I hear certain people swear, but it's usually a sign that I'm going to like this person more than I thought I would. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
30-03-2012, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2012 06:43 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-03-2012 06:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I can also clean up my language when it's appropriate to do so. Around the house, lots of swearing going on...at work...the occasional damn or crap.

I'm pretty good at that. But I have been known to utter "That's a stupid fucking idea." at work when presented with a particularly stupid fucking idea. Can't help myself.

(30-03-2012 06:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My kids learned, just like my siblings and I, when to clean up their language.

My kids learned when I told them "I don't want to have to meet with your goddam teacher again, so quit fuckin' cussing in school." That worked.

(30-03-2012 06:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am sometimes surprised to hear certain people swear but it's because it's a first for me to hear out of them, but I am never offended by it.

Yeah, guess I just can't appreciate what's so goddam fucking offensive.

(30-03-2012 05:54 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  We don't agree on much GirlyMan, but you set me back in my heels, very happy to hear from another military minded person on this matter lmao Tongue

We don't have to agree on much to get along with each other Clint. Smile ... Hell, a fuckin' Priest married me and my then devout Catholic wife in a Catholic Church even though everyone knew I was an atheist. We don't even have to agree on much to marry each other. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.