What's the problem with cussing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2012, 06:39 PM
RE: What's the problem with cussing?
(30-03-2012 06:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What the fuck kind of shit question is this, Asshat? Big Grin

Hey Clint, glad you didn't hiatus for too long.

I got over the deeply ingrained don't curse for religious reasons back in college. It was a Christian College so it wasn't the norm to curse. One night there was a group of maybe 10 of us in the whole dorm and we spent the whole evening screaming every curse word we could imagine and then just busting up because none of us had really ever sworn before.

I do think it's more of a civility issue in choosing not to use certain words that are known to be offensive to others.

I also know that feeling, Anjele of having a moment of shock the first time I hear certain people swear, but it's usually a sign that I'm going to like this person more than I thought I would. Smile
Yeah I couldn't let a bunch of pansy asses get the best of me Tongue

I just looked up pansy to make sure I was using the correct word....all this college is making me feel like Kelly Bundy. My brain is full! When I learn something new, something else falls out..!!! I'm doomed Weeping

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Clint Barnett's post
30-03-2012, 06:43 PM
(30-03-2012 06:39 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 06:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What the fuck kind of shit question is this, Asshat? Big Grin

Hey Clint, glad you didn't hiatus for too long.

I got over the deeply ingrained don't curse for religious reasons back in college. It was a Christian College so it wasn't the norm to curse. One night there was a group of maybe 10 of us in the whole dorm and we spent the whole evening screaming every curse word we could imagine and then just busting up because none of us had really ever sworn before.

I do think it's more of a civility issue in choosing not to use certain words that are known to be offensive to others.

I also know that feeling, Anjele of having a moment of shock the first time I hear certain people swear, but it's usually a sign that I'm going to like this person more than I thought I would. Smile
Yeah I couldn't let a bunch of pansy asses get the best of me Tongue

I just looked up pansy to make sure I was using the correct word....all this college is making me feel like Kelly Bundy. My brain is full! When I learn something new, something else falls out..!!! I'm doomed Weeping
That's why I never worried about studying. I'd cram the night before and dump it all on the exam the next day!

Oh. And thank you very much for giving me the mental image of your face on Kelly Bundy's body. Confused

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
30-03-2012, 06:45 PM
(30-03-2012 06:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 06:39 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  Yeah I couldn't let a bunch of pansy asses get the best of me Tongue

That's why I never worried about studying. I'd cram the night before and dump it all on the exam the next day!

Oh. And thank you very much for giving me the mental image of your face on Kelly Bundy's body. Confused
I just laughed myself to tears! Thanks for that.

— idiot adjective

[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
30-03-2012, 06:51 PM
You state your looking for logical reasons.. that's why I stated that I am opposed to it as a matter of lazy vocabulary.

As others have mentioned their background leading into it. The more you hear it the more you use it, the more it gets ingrained into your vocabulary which just more a crutch or limit in my opinion.

I don't have a problem with it in exceptional cases but to me most of the time it's unfitting anyway. Generally when I use swear words its relative to the words meaning and not as adjectives. I feel there's usually much better adjectives or simply the verb use to describe the word needed. Voice inflection can be as effective as using the word intended from my experience; although, that's not the military live several others seem to have.
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
30-03-2012, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2012 07:25 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-03-2012 06:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  That's why I never worried about studying. I'd cram the night before and dump it all on the exam the next day!

That sounds like an excellent strategy for learning ... if you're looking to become a HellboundPreacher. Fully grokking first principles is what you're after. You grok first principles, you're good to go. Everything else is derivative.

(30-03-2012 06:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I do think it's more of a civility issue in choosing not to use certain words that are known to be offensive to others.

Yeah, well fuck you. ... I mean, I wish you many pleasant fucks. Smile

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-03-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm of the belief that independent words only have the power we give them.
Cuss words in this day and age are more often used for emphasis than a literal meaning.
When I say fuck you to someone I'm more likely to mean I want to punch your face, then I want to fuck you.
When I call someone a cunt, I don't mean it literally, I just mean that I dislike them.
When I say I've had a shitty day I don't mean that there was literal shit covering my entire day no matter where I went.
I mean it was a lousy day, but lousy sounds weak.

I find entire sentences much more degrading or demeaning and insulting. You can say a whole lot of mean things without using a single cuss word. Oddly I have found that Christians are very good at this skill. They can say an entire sentence that will make a person feel like a right piece of crap and never swear once.

eg. I don't hate gay people, I hate their sin. They are going to burn in hell because they are an abomination to love and to our god. They will suffer for an eternity.

But then if a gay person were to say Fuck you in response to this kind of comment they will be chastised for using such offensive language.

A side story if you will.

When me and the wife found our kid in that pile of rubbish all those years ago and decided to abduct her and raise her as our own, we debated on how to deal with the issue of swearing. I'm a big swearing person, I really enjoy it. Oddly I don't swear that much anymore for some reason, but back then I swore so fucking often.
we decided to try and tone down the cussing, trying to not use them except when necessary. My kid swore all the time when she started talking. It's all she said. Fuck this shit that. Funny yes, but could be problematic in public.
So I decided to just swear.
She never swears anymore. As soon as I went back to swearing all the time the words lost their power and she became immediately bored with them.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
30-03-2012, 06:58 PM
In one of my favorite movie lines one sister asks the other why she says fuck so much...sister replies, "because it's descriptive." Censored

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-03-2012, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2012 07:02 PM by Clint Barnett.)
(30-03-2012 06:51 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You state your looking for logical reasons.. that's why I stated that I am opposed to it as a matter of lazy vocabulary.

As others have mentioned their background leading into it. The more you hear it the more you use it, the more it gets ingrained into your vocabulary which just more a crutch or limit in my opinion.

I don't have a problem with it in exceptional cases but to me most of the time it's unfitting anyway. Generally when I use swear words its relative to the words meaning and not as adjectives. I feel there's usually much better adjectives or simply the verb use to describe the word needed. Voice inflection can be as effective as using the word intended from my experience; although, that's not the military live several others seem to have.
I understand your comments, but I wonder, isn't that more biased opinion than logic? Just so I'm clear, your statement "The more you hear it the more you use it, the more it gets ingrained into your vocabulary..." Isn't that more of a
Non sequitur (does not follow), I could be choosing the incorrect logical fallacy term here, correct me if I'm wrong.
I can't believe after all these years I just found this. I thought of this when I was typing the original post. Keep in mind it uses the word "Fuck" many many times. But I truly think you'll enjoy this!

— idiot adjective

[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
30-03-2012, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2012 07:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-03-2012 06:51 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The more you hear it the more you use it, the more it gets ingrained into your vocabulary which just more a crutch or limit in my opinion.

Cussing is just an expansion of my available expletive vocabulary, don't feel like a crutch, more like it just gives me more colors to choose from on my expression palette.

(30-03-2012 06:51 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't have a problem with it in exceptional cases but to me most of the time it's unfitting anyway.

That feels prudish to me. I got no problem with anyone being prudish as long as they got no problem with me being vulgar. ... Fair's fair. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
30-03-2012, 07:28 PM
(30-03-2012 07:00 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 06:51 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You state your looking for logical reasons.. that's why I stated that I am opposed to it as a matter of lazy vocabulary.

I understand your comments, but I wonder, isn't that more biased opinion than logic? Just so I'm clear, your statement "The more you hear it the more you use it, the more it gets ingrained into your vocabulary..." Isn't that more of a
Non sequitur (does not follow), I could be choosing the incorrect logical fallacy term here, correct me if I'm wrong.
I can't believe after all these years I just found this. I thought of this when I was typing the original post. Keep in mind it uses the word "Fuck" many many times. But I truly think you'll enjoy this!

Haha I remember that video. It's back in the day.

It may be on the grounds of a fallacy... but I'm pretty sure how ones main vocabulary is worked up is built on that basis.

I just constantly hear people swearing when they can't think of a better way to explain or express themselves often.. To me that's a negative thing not them just using the word to properly demonstrate how they feel and think.