What's the problem with cussing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2012, 07:43 PM
RE: What's the problem with cussing?
I assure you that I can make myself perfectly clear without using swear words. If in the mood, I can speak circles around a lot of people and let them know what I think either directly or in a way they will have to think about or grab a dictionary to decipher.

Swearing certainly hasn't stunted my vocabulary.

I can think of better ways to express myself but often the audience I am dealing with doesn't have the capacity to understand multisyllabic words, nor wordplay, nor inflection, or even context.

People are different, speech patterns are different... I mean, like, ya know, uh, um, FUCK...spit it out, say what ya gotta say and let's move on.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-03-2012, 08:09 PM
(30-03-2012 07:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I assure you that I can make myself perfectly clear without using swear words. If in the mood, I can speak circles around a lot of people and let them know what I think either directly or in a way they will have to think about or grab a dictionary to decipher.

I can think of better ways to express myself but often the audience I am dealing with doesn't have the capacity to understand multisyllabic words, nor wordplay, nor inflection, or even context.

People are different, speech patterns are different... I mean, like, ya know, uh, um, FUCK...spit it out, say what ya gotta say and let's move on.
Why are you ever talking to someone who can't understand multisyllabic words, wordplay, inflection, or context?

My point isn't that one should only socialize with people who are able to grasp that.. it's why shouldn't everybody. Certainly young children would fit the category but I think even to that point you wouldn't be including children in the group of people you would rather swear at than use clever verbiage.
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
30-03-2012, 08:10 PM
(30-03-2012 08:09 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 07:43 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I assure you that I can make myself perfectly clear without using swear words. If in the mood, I can speak circles around a lot of people and let them know what I think either directly or in a way they will have to think about or grab a dictionary to decipher.

Why are you ever talking to someone who can't understand multisyllabic words, wordplay, inflection, or context?

My point isn't that one should only socialize with people who are able to grasp that.. it's why shouldn't everybody. Certainly young children would fit the category but I think even to that point you wouldn't be including children in the group of people you would rather swear at than use clever verbiage.
Apparently you have never gone fishing in Louisiana. Just sayin.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2012, 08:24 PM
No, I don't swear at children. And the conversations I find myself in are not always in a social situation. Are your's? I have a job, I go to school, I deal with stores and service businesses...is your interaction with the world purely social and all by your choice?

Besides, it would be a little dull to limit the people I come in contact with to a group with no variance in intellect, background, culture, etc.

30-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure what conversation in a non-social situation is.. other than such as something like this, online, and I'm not sure how that relates... oh, my bad. I guess you mean social in a friendly way. In that regardless of course nobody interacts that way but what does that change?

What does status of someones background or culture change? If you are talking to somebody, why not talk to somebody in the best possible way to communicate or enjoy the conversation. This attitude reads as if you would be saying some people can't understand various ways of expression outside of swears.

Are you admitting to talking to people differently depending on the situation? Maybe I'd understand if that is the outlook. I think that talking openly and more clear can lead to better growth for expression and understanding.
30-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Now I do like that you two are communicating very properly and intelligently, really I do. I must admit, it feels like I'm listening to the NASA channel. Seriously, talk about boring as shit. Thank you for reaffirming the reason I abso-fuckin-lutely love to cuss Tongue

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
30-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Admitting? Have I transgressed in some way?

In a business setting the tone is set by the situation. At a backyard gathering with friends the situation is completely different...most likely with different people and for an entirely different reason. It's hopefully more relaxed and congenial with no agenda. Going out to lunch with a friend is not the same as a job interview or engaging in a business transaction. Meeting with an Professor is not the same as having a drink in a bar with a buddy.

The people involved, the place, the reason...all have an impact on how conversations play out. Your point was that you should only interact with people that are similar to you, at least in their ability to communicate. I was pointing out that concept would limit your interaction with a lot of people.

I spent a lot of years in an area in a state where people thought I was talking down to them when I used only proper English. There were times when they used regional expressions that I had to ask what they meant. Had I decided that I wouldn't interact with these people, I would have missed out on knowing some really good individuals.

If you consider that every conversation is a social situation then my life is more full than I thought. I have been bonding with cashiers, pharmacists, mechanics, the security guys in the building where I work, and so many others that I didn't realize were in my social circle.

30-03-2012, 09:13 PM
(30-03-2012 05:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 02:34 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  What are your thoughts?

Speaking as an ex-Navy squid, not a goddam fucking thing. In the Navy it saves lives. There's a world of difference between "Watch that rope." and "WATCH THAT FUCKING ROPE!" Guess the only real problem could be if it becomes so conventional, pervasive and ubiquitous that the squids would have to invent something else to express the same urgency, "WATCH THAT GOAT-FUCKING ROPE!" ... Myself, I taught my kids how to properly cuss from an early age. Yeah, I had to explain it to some of their teachers. So fucking what.
Fuckin A! Wink

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
30-03-2012, 09:39 PM
(30-03-2012 09:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Admitting? Have I transgressed in some way?

In a business setting the tone is set by the situation. At a backyard gathering with friends the situation is completely different...most likely with different people and for an entirely different reason. It's hopefully more relaxed and congenial with no agenda. Going out to lunch with a friend is not the same as a job interview or engaging in a business transaction. Meeting with an Professor is not the same as having a drink in a bar with a buddy.

The people involved, the place, the reason...all have an impact on how conversations play out. Your point was that you should only interact with people that are similar to you, at least in their ability to communicate. I was pointing out that concept would limit your interaction with a lot of people.

I spent a lot of years in an area in a state where people thought I was talking down to them when I used only proper English. There were times when they used regional expressions that I had to ask what they meant. Had I decided that I wouldn't interact with these people, I would have missed out on knowing some really good individuals.

If you consider that every conversation is a social situation then my life is more full than I thought. I have been bonding with cashiers, pharmacists, mechanics, the security guys in the building where I work, and so many others that I didn't realize were in my social circle.
Huh? Where are you inferring that from. I specifically said I was not saying one should just talk to like-minded people. Why do you feel the need to talk differently in a bar or in a professional setting?

Someone thinking that your talking down to them.. That's fine but I don't see why one would change it. That's adjusting yourself for someone else. That's a person perfectly capable of understanding what you would mean. If someone doesn't accept you for who you are, that's one thing, but I wouldn't dismiss talking to someone for that reason nor would I change on some irrational grounds.

Maybe I'm seeing this different since I see unnecessarily lowering yourself to someones level is talking down to someone. I try to never do that to children, I have none of my own but I've always resisted speaking that way to my niece. My sister and niece lived with me the last year and a half and it's cringing to hear someone talk down to someone. Now I'd have to occasionally explain my vocabulary but to dumb down the lingo would be insulting to any single human being.

I think cussing is stale in the culture I don't see the joy of it and never had. I realize I am an outsider to this realm but I find hearing it when commonly used the boring situation. It's rarely brought out with any creativity. In those cases such as the whole video of ways to say fuck or George Carlin it is enjoyable.
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
30-03-2012, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2012 09:51 PM by Anjele.)
I don't continue to talk to someone in a way that makes them feel uncomfortable...I am not lowering myself to their level, I am meeting them halfway. You are lucky to only encounter people on your intellectual level that way no one must compromise or make any concessions, especially you.

I give, you win.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post