What's the weirdest thing you've ever sung during a church service?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2015, 07:06 PM
What's the weirdest thing you've ever sung during a church service?
I always thought it was funny when I used to go to church and they would start singing secular songs during the service, while of course imbuing them with a double meaning.

Imagine a room full of people, some down on their knees, some with their hands raised in the air, eyes closed, swaying side to side as if in a trance, all while singing an a capella version of Sweet Dreams by The Eurythmics. Yes, I wish I were making this up.

Needless to say, I remember standing there looking around at this freakish sight, definitely not singing along, and trying as hard as I could not to burst out laughing Laugh out load

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2015, 07:15 PM
RE: What's the weirdest thing you've ever sung during a church service?
(17-04-2015 07:06 PM)cactus Wrote:  Imagine a room full of people, some down on their knees, some with their hands raised in the air, eyes closed, swaying side to side as if in a trance, all while singing an a capella version of Sweet Dreams by The Eurythmics. Yes, I wish I were making this up.

That sounds fucking amazing. Was it truly acapella or was the organist jamming out too? If he wasn't, I don't know how he could restrain himself.

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
[+] 1 user Likes Russ's post
17-04-2015, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2015 07:23 PM by cactus.)
(17-04-2015 07:15 PM)Russ Wrote:  That sounds fucking amazing. Was it truly acapella or was the organist jamming out too?

Oh my god, it was incredible! I wish I had snuck in a video camera that day. haha
The keyboard player was doing some light background chords and stuff, the type of thing you'd hear as accompaniment to a really emotionally manipulative prayer from the pastor, like right before the offering plates get passed around.

18-04-2015, 07:27 AM
(17-04-2015 07:15 PM)Russ Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 07:06 PM)cactus Wrote:  Imagine a room full of people, some down on their knees, some with their hands raised in the air, eyes closed, swaying side to side as if in a trance, all while singing an a capella version of Sweet Dreams by The Eurythmics. Yes, I wish I were making this up.

That sounds fucking amazing. Was it truly acapella or was the organist jamming out too? If he wasn't, I don't know how he could restrain himself.

They sang all of it? Shocking

Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
18-04-2015, 07:49 AM
I can't see my church ever singing a secular song, but some of the hymns can be pretty hilarious.

"Let Him Have His Way with Thee"
"He Came to Me"
18-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Living in the south, the accents seem to make things more interesting. At this tiny church we attended when I was a kid, they always liked to sing "Pow'r in the Blood" which turned into Pyre in the Blood. I always giggled at that one.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
18-04-2015, 07:56 AM
(18-04-2015 07:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  They sang all of it? Shocking

Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused.

They changed up some of the lyrics. It was something REALLY awkward like "Satan just wants to abuuuuuuse yooouuuu. Let God in your heart and he'll uuuuuse yoouuuuu."

18-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Not sung, but I did the Mexican hat dance. Both in person and with marianettes for a Mexican themed Sunday school as part of a series of Sundays focused on broadening our cultural awareness or some shit.

'Murican Canadian
18-04-2015, 08:21 AM
Even as a Christian there were a few songs in our congregation that I would not sing because I disagreed with the content. One the comes to might is "The Great Southland of The Holy Spirit".

Too me putting nationalism and god together was always something to be wary of. It also contained presumably prophetic lines such as "To this sunburnt land we will see a flood. To this great southland his spirit comes.". I never felt led to proclaim that prophecy.

An interesting thread I think I share with Discern4 is that perhaps part of my path out of theism was in fact being more fundamentalist than those around me. For Discern4 it was the idea that his faith healing church was in a sense practicing witchcraft by trying to figure out spells for healing - this is covered in his excellent three-part series the Demons of Sickness[1]. My fundamentalism led me to step back when things occurred that I didn't feel were in accord with God and the Bible. Step back far enough and you see things differently than you did before.

[1] https://youtu.be/Vh5v_GKt0gk

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
18-04-2015, 08:21 AM
Oh, and one time our pastor let the kids lead the church service, and we played "Pray" by MC Hammer.

It was the early 90's :/ I was already very much an atheist by this point but I've never been the type to stress about putting on masks. I find the world entertaining, and memories like playing MC Hammer in church are as good as any.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post