What's up Sodomites?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2016, 08:44 PM
What's up Sodomites?
(Creationist Cat reference).

Hi, I'm new here. I've been a fan of Seth for a little over a year now. I'm in my early 40s and I'm a recovering CoCer. My "fall" into atheism started about 5 years ago officially I guess, but honestly I think I probably only kept going to church in my teen and early 20s to keep my family happy. I think I always had issues trying to take the Bible at least completely literally, and if you know anything about conservative CoC, it takes the damn Bible 100% literally.

Things like the debate over gay marriage actually helped push me over the edge, because that was always something that honestly I just couldn't work myself up enough to give a damn about. And by that I mean no matter how much it was preached at me that it was so terrible (being gay/gay marriage), I just could never understand why I should be so offended by homosexuality, why I should be so scared of it. If someone loved someone of the same sex, who freakin' cares?

My wife is very supportive, she's not exactly an atheist, but she's definitely not Christian anymore. Unfortunately the rest of my family and extended family is very religious and doesn't know I've walked away from church. It honestly causes me a lot of internal stress, as I'm constantly thinking of scenarios where they find out. I also tend to avoid talking to them because they always bring up church, and I really don't want to lie to them, and I generally think of their feelings. But at the same time, I'm a grown ass man. I'm 40, and I think I'm a little too old to still believe in some invisible all knowing deity that watches my every move.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
10-08-2016, 08:46 PM
RE: What's up Sodomites?
Welcome. At first I thought maybe it was a crazy drive by preaching lol

Do you like the Drunken Peasants as well?
10-08-2016, 09:04 PM
(10-08-2016 08:44 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  I'm in my early 40s and I'm a recovering CoCer.

That's an affliction I have not heard of. Does it have a DSM-5 code?

Oh, and howdy howdy ho. Welcome to the ... Thumbsup

#sigh
10-08-2016, 09:07 PM
Welcome! (Though I was expecting Creationist Cat lol.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2016, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 08:17 AM by Fireball.)
(10-08-2016 08:44 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  (Creationist Cat reference).

Hi, I'm new here. I've been a fan of Seth for a little over a year now. I'm in my early 40s and I'm a recovering CoCer. My "fall" into atheism started about 5 years ago officially I guess, but honestly I think I probably only kept going to church in my teen and early 20s to keep my family happy. I think I always had issues trying to take the Bible at least completely literally, and if you know anything about conservative CoC, it takes the damn Bible 100% literally.

Things like the debate over gay marriage actually helped push me over the edge, because that was always something that honestly I just couldn't work myself up enough to give a damn about. And by that I mean no matter how much it was preached at me that it was so terrible (being gay/gay marriage), I just could never understand why I should be so offended by homosexuality, why I should be so scared of it. If someone loved someone of the same sex, who freakin' cares?

My wife is very supportive, she's not exactly an atheist, but she's definitely not Christian anymore. Unfortunately the rest of my family and extended family is very religious and doesn't know I've walked away from church. It honestly causes me a lot of internal stress, as I'm constantly thinking of scenarios where they find out. I also tend to avoid talking to them because they always bring up church, and I really don't want to lie to them, and I generally think of their feelings. But at the same time, I'm a grown ass man. I'm 40, and I think I'm a little too old to still believe in some invisible all knowing deity that watches my every move.

Welcome! Shit, there's a ton of people your age who still have an invisible friend. Every time they show up at my door, I ask 'em, "Why?"
10-08-2016, 09:57 PM
WElcome! Best of luck with walking the line with your family.
10-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Willkommen Sie, Atheist Schaum!

Glad to have you, brother!

Quote:Things like the debate over gay marriage actually helped push me over the edge, because that was always something that honestly I just couldn't work myself up enough to give a damn about.

That's funny- that describes perfectly how I felt about gays, the bible, god, satan, and the IRS. I was never morally outraged, just couldn't work up much of a "give a shit".

I look forward to pissing you off and then arguing about it until we decide, "screw it, let's just have a beer."
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
11-08-2016, 02:37 AM
Hello! Big Grin
11-08-2016, 08:06 AM
Hello, and welcome! I liked your post and agree with and relate to allot of what you said. I am a, 48 and came into atheism in my 40's and agree that I don't have the time to worry if some sky diety is watching my every move. I also have a very religious family and haven't told them I'm an atheist; though they are aware of my disdain for religion and I have spouted off about religion before. I think my mom wants to stay in denial as much as she can. I want to say something, but I fear losing my familial relationships. My dad is at least agnostic and questions religion near as I can tell and he never brings up religion. I'm hoping to find online atheist friends and acquaintances who I can talk to about atheism and the many things related to atheism. I have a 12 year old son and will soon begin talking to him about matters of faith and religion, but din;t want to get too deep at too young an age. I have introduced the concept of evidence ro him and he already demands evidence for things (love that kid Big Grin). I am so glad I found atheism and look forward to meeting like minded people.

Welcome, again
[+] 4 users Like kevin308's post
11-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Eish. Church of Christ. Aren't you glad to be free from that bullshit?

When I was in high school I dated several different CoC boys (ha - one of my AIM screen names was CoCMafia). I taught one of them how to dance - the horrors!!!

I went to church with another one of them on a Wednesday night once - this was the most "liberal" CoC in town - they had a gym with a kitchen, so all the other CoCs considered them heathens going to hell just like the Southern Baptists and United Methodists. Anyway, he got mad at me because I started laughing when the song director took out a tuning pipe. 'Cause musical instruments with Christian music is sinful... Such a fucked, oppressive religion.

One of my high school CoC best friends told me I was going to hell. She had to wear a head covering and was not allowed to speak in church, unless up at the front to confess sins publicly to the entire congregation. Her parents caught her with weed - she got sent to the bible school and lost any and all ability to think for herself from that point forward. Needless to say, we're not friends anymore.

I'm in a similar situation with my family. You're not alone. It's difficult to lie to my family and keep up a charade, but I love them, would cause them incredible pain and heartbreak in the best scenario, and lose them in the worst. It gets easier. It's a bit like the stages of grief going through deconversion. I don't get my feathers ruffled too easily anymore, most of the hurt and anger has worn off (it's taken me two years to reach this point$. I use this place to vent - especially when I first lost my faith and my world was turned upside down. The pics for a laugh at religion thread - that helps with the anger and frustration. Especially coming from such a conservative religion where blasphemy is sooooo taboo. It was incredibly shocking to me initially and it was so very helpful.

The people here are great. I've made some wonderful friends that I talk to outside of this forum on a regular basis. When you find yourself having to hide so much, it's imperative to have an outlet and a support system. I found that here. Maybe take some time and read through the Recovering from Religion section.

Anyway, Welcome! Smile

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 8 users Like Nurse's post