What's up Sodomites?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2016, 05:29 PM
RE: What's up Sodomites?
Hey! Welcome. I always have people from the Church of Christ trying to get me to go to their church in my field of work. It is crazy lol. Either way, I think the best way to come out to family is to slowly easing into it. You don't have to call a family gathering and make the announcement Tongue

And I think coming out as an atheist is an always on going thing. Just like coming out as gay I supposed lol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2016, 05:37 PM
(11-08-2016 05:29 PM)TheMoralist Wrote:  Hey! Welcome. I always have people from the Church of Christ trying to get me to go to their church in my field of work. It is crazy lol. Either way, I think the best way to come out to family is to slowly easing into it. You don't have to call a family gathering and make the announcement Tongue

And I think coming out as an atheist is an always on going thing. Just like coming out as gay I supposed lol.

How would that work, anyway?

"Mom, Dad, I have to tell you something... I read more books than just the Bible."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
11-08-2016, 05:48 PM
(11-08-2016 05:37 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 05:29 PM)TheMoralist Wrote:  Hey! Welcome. I always have people from the Church of Christ trying to get me to go to their church in my field of work. It is crazy lol. Either way, I think the best way to come out to family is to slowly easing into it. You don't have to call a family gathering and make the announcement Tongue

How would that work, anyway?

"Mom, Dad, I have to tell you something... I read more books than just the Bible."

Lol that is a start. Better "I read books by Richard Dawkins"

No, but maybe starting out kind of stating that he does not believe in certain aspect of the religion when it is brought up. People interpret religion in many different ways. Two Christians do not see god the same way. So one can say "Oh maybe I don't think god is that involved in a person life or he cares that much about gay being gay"

Of course I was never a Christian so I do not know for sure how it goes. But in a lot of eastern religions, it is very polytheistic so it is easy to disagree with the countless aspect of it. So it is a slow gradual coming out.
[+] 1 user Likes TheMoralist's post
12-08-2016, 01:12 AM
Wow! Coming from Texas, I know absolutely nothing about the CoC...but the descriptions you guys are giving sounds downright freaky cult-like. I'm going to have to do a little googling about this. Scary sounding stuff, kind of like how I feel about the Catholics over here. #SHIVER#
12-08-2016, 09:22 AM
(12-08-2016 01:12 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Wow! Coming from Texas, I know absolutely nothing about the CoC...but the descriptions you guys are giving sounds downright freaky cult-like. I'm going to have to do a little googling about this. Scary sounding stuff, kind of like how I feel about the Catholics over here. #SHIVER#

Well, I come from probably the most conservative wing of it. There are more "liberal" CoC churches, but compared to other denominations, even they are still pretty bad. The conservative CoC churches will usually have nothing to do with the the liberal CoC churches (call it "fellowship"), and the if you say leave a conservative one and start going to a liberal one, the conservative ones will usually at least partially condemn you. If you left and went to another denomination, for most you might as well have changed religions.

Now on the outside looking in, the conservative CoC wing is pretty damn close to a cult. The strict, literal interpretation of the Bible, the strict rules when it comes to the church's money (no schools, gyms, vans, buses, even fellowship halls, and no charities), and strict rules/guidelines for worship services all make for a very narrowed denomination. Oh, that's the other thing, don't call them a denomination, they'll claim they aren't one, they're just following the Bible as you're supposed to.

They've long had a reputation as being the "only ones that think they are going to be saved", and they will balk at that notion......except that's pretty much exactly what they actually think. They won't come out and say it like that (anymore), but if you go to one long enough it's very clear that is what they believe.

Having said all that, there are individual members who are more responsible, but they are usually rare and most certainly don't have a lot of power, or they are too afraid to actually push what they think for fear of being labeled "divisive". That's one of the worst things you can be labeled because it's pounded into your head about how much God hates division and rebellion, so anytime anyone tries to change things, they are shut down with the guilt bullshit.

I think I could rant about this all day lol. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
12-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Quote:The strict, literal interpretation of the Bible, the strict rules when it comes to the church's money (no schools, gyms, vans, buses, even fellowship halls, and no charities)
These are precisely the things most honest churches spend their monies on..what is left? Do they buy gold to take with them during the Rapture?

Quote:I think I could rant about this all day lol. Big Grin

Yeah, I get that...what in the world leads relatively intelligent people down this path? Because Dad was CoC? Or is there monetary benefit to belonging, like with the Mormons? They help "respected" members with their businesses, etc?
12-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Oh CoC as in Church of Christ!! My mother's minister's wife left them before becoming a Methodist! Did a total shift on the music thing and now runs her Methodist church's music ministry.

(11-08-2016 08:46 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Eish. Church of Christ. Aren't you glad to be free from that bullshit?

When I was in high school I dated several different CoC boys (ha - one of my AIM screen names was CoCMafia). I taught one of them how to dance - the horrors!!!
Nurse, I never thought I'd say this, but you just reminded me of my mother. Back in her youth group days, she tried to organize a dance at a youth event...when the deacons were sent to break it up is when she remembered "good Baptists don't allow dancing, it's sinful". The horror indeed.

(11-08-2016 11:15 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Great thread title!

You'll fit right in. Lots of recovering fundamentalists, here, myself included (Southern Baptist).

So, welcome! Smile

I say this in all joking, but HERETIC! American Baptist Churches USA is the One True Baptist Faith and Church., I mean, I too was raised Baptist. Tongue

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
12-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Does it make me a bad person if every time I read this part of the thread, I keep hearing this video in my head?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
13-08-2016, 02:31 AM
Quote:Does it make me a bad person if every time I read this part of the thread, I keep hearing this video in my head?

I'm afraid so. Sad
13-08-2016, 05:37 AM
Welcome

[Image: giphy.gif]