What's up with the Amish?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2014, 12:28 PM
What's up with the Amish?
Memorial Day and I see Amish people by the bus loads showing up at Walmart. When did they start driving and buying normal crap? Isn't that against their beliefs? They're getting to overpowered and the devs need to give them a dose of the nerf bat.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2014, 01:52 PM
RE: What's up with the Amish?
It's how some of them cope with the relentless march of progress. Some groups get around their traditional rules with creative interpretations, allowing them to get rides in cars and busses so long as they don't actually own them. Some can and do use electricity and own computers, provided it's to operate their family business. It's no different than any other religion really.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Horse and cart?

What sorcery is this?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Sam's post
01-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Re: What's up with the Amish?
Much like all things, there's a spectrum involved with Amish.

Some are stricter to technological avoidance. I've seen plenty traveling through train trips in my time and using cell phones to boost their businesses. They're very good at following the Christian tradition of picking and choosing what rules to follow at their whims.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 5 users Like ClydeLee's post
03-09-2014, 09:43 AM
(01-09-2014 05:22 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Much like all things, there's a spectrum involved with Amish.

Some are stricter to technological avoidance. I've seen plenty traveling through train trips in my time and using cell phones to boost their businesses. They're very good at following the Christian tradition of picking and choosing what rules to follow at their whims.
As I understand it the Amish rule of thumb regarding technology is that anything that drives people apart is bad. Using a telephone for business is OK but if you just want to chat you should meet face to face. Internet for business: OK. Social networking: Not OK.

Decades ago there was a schism among the Amish regarding whether pneumatic tires on their buggies were allowed. In Ohio the question was settled when the state mandated tires on paved roads. I do not know whether the two sides of the schism ever reconciled.

Sapere aude
03-09-2014, 09:49 AM
They're all batshit crazy religious nutjobs.
They get a free pass because "lol Amish". They shouldn't get a free pass though. They're strictly religious and have all the downsides that come with that, they should be called out on their stupidness just the same as any religion.

I got nothing against them not advancing out of the 1800's, I just don't like how religious they are and how cult-like they can be.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
03-09-2014, 01:41 PM
The amish community I was at used a lot of modern equipment for powing fields and construction and what not so I don't think everything at Wal-Mart is off limits including bicycles and lawn mowers.
03-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Mennonites are more or less a community of degenerates who cannot wrap their mind around anything made after 1870.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
03-09-2014, 06:06 PM
(01-09-2014 12:28 PM)Elskidor Wrote:  Memorial Day and I see Amish people by the bus loads showing up at Walmart. When did they start driving and buying normal crap? Isn't that against their beliefs? They're getting to overpowered and the devs need to give them a dose of the nerf bat.

It is not the Amish, it literally is evolution at work. If you don't adapt you get left behind. Religion is the ignorance of our own evolution in anthropomorphic form.

All religions do this. It is why it took thousands of years and multiple copies and revisions of the bible. It is why you have Sunnis and Shiites. It is why you have newer religions like Mormonism and Sceintology. It is our species merely competing unaware that is really all they are doing.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2014, 11:25 PM
(03-09-2014 05:52 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Mennonites are more or less a community of degenerates who cannot wrap their mind around anything made after 1870.
In college I had a good friend who was a Mennonite. They are not Amish. My friend had a car and an apartment and a telephone. He was studying nuclear physics. His ambition was to be a TV weatherman.

Sapere aude