What's up with the Neopagans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2012, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 08:37 AM by arbmouser.)
What's up with the Neopagans?
Hey there forum community! I have been running into a TON of people here in Colorado claiming to be pagans and had to ask if anyone has looked into this phenomena. Most have introduced themselves, often very enthusiastically, after discovering that I am an Atheist. They go on to explain how they are not a Christian and how their beliefs work, almost as if I am supposed to give their supernatural ideas more credit because it isn't a "main stream" religion. There are many types of these "pagans" here. I have met Wiccans, a few Celtic Pagans, and one said he practiced the Norse Religion. Almost all the people I have met claiming these belief systems declare they were born into it, but I have yet to meet anyone above the age of 25 in these circles. Not only that, when they discover that I am just as critical about their religion as any other, they become upset. The Wiccans argument for my acknowledgement of them was that both witches and Atheists have been persecuted by the church. Do they expect me to oblige them more room for their spiritual argument than anyone else out of a sense of shared conflict with more organized religion?

My thoughts on these groups are that they are a form of social/cultural backlash from mainstream religion. However, I believe the need to believe in something, or the fear of nothing, has been so ingrained in most people that they have just moved to another form of hocus-pocus. That, or it's just for shock value. The whole, "Look at me! I'm an individual!"

Anyone else have comments, ideas, or experiences with these people?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like arbmouser's post
04-04-2012, 09:35 AM
RE: What's up with the Neopagans?
I'm not aware of any pagans around my area but I find your assessment spot on.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
04-04-2012, 09:40 AM
My girlfriend is a pagan, however I don't talk about her religion much with her simply because I'm more agnostic when it comes to Pagan Religions rather than my atheism with the Abrahamic religions.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
04-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Red Tornado, what is it about paganism that has you on the fence over a complete rejection of Abrahamic religions? The claims and beliefs made by any other religion fail all the same when confronted with logical questioning and reason. Or, is it that a pagan is giving you some pussy and you don't want to rock the boat?
04-04-2012, 12:29 PM
(04-04-2012 12:24 PM)arbmouser Wrote:  Red Tornado, what is it about paganism that has you on the fence over a complete rejection of Abrahamic religions? The claims and beliefs made by any other religion fail all the same when confronted with logical questioning and reason. Or, is it that a pagan is giving you some pussy and you don't want to rock the boat?
It's probably because she has more empirical evidence at her disposal that disproves YHWH to her than the other various Pagan religions. She is probably just being fair-minded to the other religions until more evidence is presented to disprove them.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-04-2012, 12:46 PM
That also makes absolutely no sense, unless you are being facetious. How is there LESS empirical evidence for different deities from other religions? The only difference they offer is a change of their names.
04-04-2012, 01:10 PM
(04-04-2012 12:46 PM)arbmouser Wrote:  That also makes absolutely no sense, unless you are being facetious. How is there LESS empirical evidence for different deities from other religions? The only difference they offer is a change of their names.
Because there is more exposure and more focus on YHWH rather than Baal or something like that.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-04-2012, 04:24 PM
I was a devot Christian, so I've experienced it. I've never been a Pagan. I've never experienced it personally, nor have I bothered to research it as much as I did Christanity. I don't feel like its fair to say to every religion what I say with the abrahamic religions simply because they don't compare to it, so I'm a little more open minded.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
04-04-2012, 04:34 PM
I found out that a small group of coworkers I used to work with were pagans. They were also shocked and happy to hear I was an atheist. They seem to enjoy talking about various religions.

Found out my boss is a fellow follower of the flying spaghetti monster, winning.
04-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Pagan = Batshit
Christian = Batshit
Neopagan = Batshit

See? It all adds up.
Thumbsup

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]