What's up with the Neopagans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2012, 06:02 AM
RE: What's up with the Neopagans?
Okay, I think there is some disconnect here from a few posters and I would like to clear it up. There is no more truth to any pagan claim than to the more familiar religions. The burden of proof is on those that claim their religion is real. We do not have empirical evidence there is no god. We believe there isn't one because the followers don't have empirical evidence. Just because you are unfamiliar with a certain religion's practices does not give that religion any more credit. If you are willing to shrug your shoulders and say, "Well maybe they have something here," you have ceased to think and search for truth. It sounds like many posters on this forum don't believe in Jesus or the "Christian" god, and yet do not carry over their critical thought or skepticism to any other area of their lives.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2012, 07:40 AM
(05-04-2012 06:02 AM)arbmouser Wrote:  Okay, I think there is some disconnect here from a few posters and I would like to clear it up. There is no more truth to any pagan claim than to the more familiar religions. The burden of proof is on those that claim their religion is real. We do not have empirical evidence there is no god. We believe there isn't one because the followers don't have empirical evidence. Just because you are unfamiliar with a certain religion's practices does not give that religion any more credit. If you are willing to shrug your shoulders and say, "Well maybe they have something here," you have ceased to think and search for truth. It sounds like many posters on this forum don't believe in Jesus or the "Christian" god, and yet do not carry over their critical thought or skepticism to any other area of their lives.

There is no disconnect. People are just unwilling to lump every deduced conclusion into one until they feel they have sufficient evidence to prove contrary.

Agnostics are examples of this.

Also, it is impossible to definitely prove or disprove God by any human. Humans are not omniscient; therefore, no one can know absolutes.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-04-2012, 07:46 AM
I know KC is an absolute muffinhead. Big Grin

Pagan = fluffy. Neo-pagan = neo-fluffy. I've run into some cats that give a nod to Wotan and the like, and the general consensus if that if you call yourself a pagan, yer a fluffbasket.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Well, I used to be a neopagan (yeah, not a fact I'm too proud of). What happened with me was, after being raised as a Christian, and when my teenage angst started hitting me, I 'realized' that Christianity just stole a bunch of ideas from paganism, ipso facto paganism was right and Christianity was wrong. It was like, paganism is older therefore it is correct. I believe it has more to do with being a teenager than with being smart (what a surprise, eh?). What I like about neopagans, however, is that they question their faith. And we all know where questioning of faith leads. So I say - let them be. If they are smart enough, they'll realize what 'the ideas of paganism are the same as those of Christianity' really means Big Grin

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes le_procyon's post
05-04-2012, 08:13 AM
(05-04-2012 07:46 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I know KC is an absolute muffinhead. Big Grin
Agreed. KC, please stop posting if all you are going to do is troll the thread. You have added nothing to this post except to say that the logical argument and supporting scientific theory that strongly suggests there is no god does not apply to all deities. According to you, we for some reason need to develop a different method of refuting each religion... How does this even make sense? There is no such think as magic, it doesn't matter who the practitioner claims is granting them the power whether is be Jesus, Allah, or the nature godess.
05-04-2012, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 08:19 AM by kingschosen.)
(05-04-2012 08:13 AM)arbmouser Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 07:46 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I know KC is an absolute muffinhead. Big Grin
Agreed. KC, please stop posting if all you are going to do is troll the thread. You have added nothing to this post except to say that the logical argument and supporting scientific theory that strongly suggests there is no god does not apply to all deities. According to you, we for some reason need to develop a different method of refuting each religion... How does this even make sense? There is no such think as magic, it doesn't matter who the practitioner claims is granting them the power whether is be Jesus, Allah, or the nature godess.
Because that's not how people work.

People compartmentalize, rationalize, and justify. I'm not saying you're wrong and they're right or vice versa; all I'm doing is retorting your statement which is over simplified and doesn't work to explain all people.

Not everything is black and white.

Oh, and "trolling" is disagreeing now... I forgot.

lulz

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-04-2012, 08:20 AM
(05-04-2012 08:03 AM)le_procyon Wrote:  Well, I used to be a neopagan (yeah, not a fact I'm too proud of). What happened with me was, after being raised as a Christian, and when my teenage angst started hitting me, I 'realized' that Christianity just stole a bunch of ideas from paganism, ipso facto paganism was right and Christianity was wrong. It was like, paganism is older therefore it is correct. I believe it has more to do with being a teenager than with being smart (what a surprise, eh?). What I like about neopagans, however, is that they question their faith. And we all know where questioning of faith leads. So I say - let them be. If they are smart enough, they'll realize what 'the ideas of paganism are the same as those of Christianity' really means Big Grin
Thanks for a real answer! Finally someone with some input. Much of what you said I had assumed from talking to some of these younger pagans. I have not been hostile towards them at all. They are really nice people, and much less pushy about believing than the Christians (around here anyway). I just was wondering if anyone had more insight on this movement to fringe religions. I just couldn't understand why people would denounce a faith because they no longer believe or agree, but then cling to another. For most it is probably just that transition step, as you say.
05-04-2012, 09:14 AM
(05-04-2012 08:18 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Oh, and "trolling" is disagreeing now... I forgot.

lulz

Only when it's a theist. You muffinhead. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-04-2012, 12:54 PM
(05-04-2012 08:20 AM)arbmouser Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 08:03 AM)le_procyon Wrote:  Well, I used to be a neopagan (yeah, not a fact I'm too proud of). What happened with me was, after being raised as a Christian, and when my teenage angst started hitting me, I 'realized' that Christianity just stole a bunch of ideas from paganism, ipso facto paganism was right and Christianity was wrong. It was like, paganism is older therefore it is correct. I believe it has more to do with being a teenager than with being smart (what a surprise, eh?). What I like about neopagans, however, is that they question their faith. And we all know where questioning of faith leads. So I say - let them be. If they are smart enough, they'll realize what 'the ideas of paganism are the same as those of Christianity' really means Big Grin
Thanks for a real answer! Finally someone with some input. Much of what you said I had assumed from talking to some of these younger pagans. I have not been hostile towards them at all. They are really nice people, and much less pushy about believing than the Christians (around here anyway). I just was wondering if anyone had more insight on this movement to fringe religions. I just couldn't understand why people would denounce a faith because they no longer believe or agree, but then cling to another. For most it is probably just that transition step, as you say.
Well, yes, somehow (for pagans; or me at least) it was still reasonable that there is some higher force/being, but that humanity had corrupted the 'real faith', which would be paganism, as it is much older than Christianity. But the moment you realize why it is that you stopped believing in one god and turned to the other, you start sliding down the slope that leads to the realization that it is still the same fairytale, only with different protagonists.

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
05-04-2012, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2012 08:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
Pagans in my area used to cook up some seriously wicked Angel Dust back in the day. And they had really cool Harley's ... and beards.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post