What's up with the Neopagans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2012, 08:57 AM
RE: What's up with the Neopagans?
Well, as an ex-Wiccan, Witch, Druid, and Asatru (the ex- applies to all of those); a Neo-Pagan or whatever they call themselves, is very similar to the "Feeling Christian". It's all based on feelings - mostly of the fluffy bunny type. They are a very diverse group - all the way from the 'gods' are archeotypes (not really real) to hard core polytheists (all the gods are real), and everywhere inbetween. As the pagan saying goes - "If you get 3 pagans of any type in a room and ask them a question about belief, you will get at least 7 differing opinions!"

By the way, I looked for some kind of deity in all those groups, and there isn't anything there! LOL
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes shadostr13's post
06-04-2012, 09:07 AM
(04-04-2012 08:32 AM)arbmouser Wrote:  Hey there forum community! I have been running into a TON of people here in Colorado claiming to be pagans and had to ask if anyone has looked into this phenomena. Most have introduced themselves, often very enthusiastically, after discovering that I am an Atheist. They go on to explain how they are not a Christian and how their beliefs work, almost as if I am supposed to give their supernatural ideas more credit because it isn't a "main stream" religion. There are many types of these "pagans" here. I have met Wiccans, a few Celtic Pagans, and one said he practiced the Norse Religion. Almost all the people I have met claiming these belief systems declare they were born into it, but I have yet to meet anyone above the age of 25 in these circles. Not only that, when they discover that I am just as critical about their religion as any other, they become upset. The Wiccans argument for my acknowledgement of them was that both witches and Atheists have been persecuted by the church. Do they expect me to oblige them more room for their spiritual argument than anyone else out of a sense of shared conflict with more organized religion?

My thoughts on these groups are that they are a form of social/cultural backlash from mainstream religion. However, I believe the need to believe in something, or the fear of nothing, has been so ingrained in most people that they have just moved to another form of hocus-pocus. That, or it's just for shock value. The whole, "Look at me! I'm an individual!"

Anyone else have comments, ideas, or experiences with these people?
If you had of played nice you probably would have been invited to an orgy.

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Sure, because all pagans do are orgies.

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
06-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Nice post...thanks. I didn't know what the modern meaning of pagan was till now because...

An interesting point...

In the Old testament, and in the New (to the best of my knowledge), a pagan is anyone who isn't a Jew. So...if we consider the original meaning of the word, all Christians are pagans.

Obviously, the meaning of the word has evolved, as this is what my dictionary says for "pagan"...

a person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions.
06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
(06-04-2012 09:52 AM)le_procyon Wrote:  Sure, because all pagans do are orgies.
The ones I knew in the 80's did. Then again, the Christian teens i knew were much more loose Big Grin

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
06-04-2012, 07:58 PM
I have a lot of Wiccan' and Pagans around me where I live. They are very nice and never harass anyone. Whenever I find someone is standing ranting, raving and trying to convert its the Christians drawn here to "save us all"

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post