What's with all of these believers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2013, 10:40 AM
What's with all of these believers?
I happen to live in a very religious area, and so I was looking for another source to interact with non-theists. And yet, every forum I see has an open policy of true believers doing their dogmatic masterbation to spew on every topic of significance.

If I wanted to talk about superstitious nonsense, I would just talk to any of my neighbors walking down the street. I was looking for a bit of fresh air, not another forum for believers where believers slug out to push their nonsense onto others.

I don't know if there is a way to make one area on the forum by invitation only, to keep that crap out of at least one corner to exclude the believers who take a dump in the middle of any other area of discussion.

I guess I will have to keep looking.

“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2013, 11:01 AM
RE: What's with all of these believers?
Did you read the Forum Rules?

More specifically, the Caveats.

As stated:

This forum isn't just for atheists. It is for anyone - no matter what
race, religion, sex, sexual preference, or anything else. Anyone is
welcome to participate and express their opinions.

We actually encourage anyone and everyone to participate in the forum - no matter what they believe.

If you are upset over this, then this might not be the place for you.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
14-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Hmm, VERY good point. Probably needs to be moved to the suggestions forum for discussion.
I'd do it but I'm on a phone. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
14-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Well, why don't you move this to "suggestions" Kingsy... you krazy theist. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
14-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Don't bail on us yet.

Sure, we have an open-door policy and allow freedom of speech here, so any superstitious nutjob can spew their magical mumbo jumbo here. Some of us even enjoy the witty repartee (OK, usually the only wit is ours) when this happens.

I see it as a way to laugh and the nitwits. Besides, I learn a lot of anti-nitwit stuff from the other members as they merrily bash the nitwits over their clueless heads.

The rest of the time, there's lots of interesting stuff to talk about here.

The key is this: it's an "Atheist" forum. While you and I know that "atheism" is not a club or a group or a mindset or a philosophy or a belief system. This means, the only thing one atheist has in common with any other atheist is that they don't believe in magical men in the sky (any other commonalities are purely by chance). Because we're all unique, anything goes. And because it's an "Atheist" forum and the general theist ninnies don't realize that we're not part of some god-hating collective, they like to stop by and try to save us - we're targets for their patented brand of stupidity.

In short, anywhere you go that has "Atheist" in the title, the righteous retrocephs will find you and target you. At least here you can gang up and play with them at their own expense, while also chatting about stuff you really do care about.

And yes, I just coined that term, "retroceph", short for "retrocepalic" - It just popped into my head just now and I'm rather fond of it; it seems nicer than "retard" and lacks that "I can't help it, I was just born this way" excuse that actual retardation allows. I hope the term catches on. Feel free to spread it around. Lavishly.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 5 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
14-03-2013, 11:12 AM
EGross: may I suggest (if the moderators don't mind) checking in at Atheist Nexus? http://www.atheistnexus.org. If I understand correctly, it has a non-prophet policy.
14-03-2013, 11:18 AM
(14-03-2013 11:12 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  EGross: may I suggest (if the moderators don't mind) checking in at Atheist Nexus? http://www.atheistnexus.org. If I understand correctly, it has a non-prophet policy.
Even though I'm a prophet and a member. Tongue

Thing about atheists, is that generally we do not require a censored safe haven to preserve our identity. And besides, what's to discuss if we don't have a couple of theists around? Lack of belief ain't really a topic. Big Grin

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-03-2013, 11:21 AM
That was one of my first questions in the AN chatroom: So what do atheists talk about when they gather, nothing?

(I'm still new enough that I say "they" when I should be saying "we." Forgive the error. If you don't, I will smite thee with emerods).
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
14-03-2013, 11:27 AM
But I get where EGross is coming from. When I first came to terms with my atheism (just last August), I sought out a "safe haven" where I could express myself, finally, without some self-appointed shepherd trying to lure me back into the fold. I had enough of that way of thinking to last a lifetime, and I'm at a point where I really don't need more of it. I need a little help moving away from that kind of thinking. I need the things you guys probably take for granted, having been at this so much longer.

I have no problem with this place and please understand that I am not sharing in the complaint. I just understand it, is all.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
14-03-2013, 11:50 AM
In time, I think you'll appreciate being able to withstand their best theistic salvo. Today it's aggravating because it's a danger, calling you back to your old habits, threatening to undermine your newfound clarity. Even if you're beyond suffering a relapse into delusion, you're still viewing it as a danger, hence the aggravation.

When that perspective shifts to realizing that they're just pathetically wallowing in their own delusions, and probably threatened by you (rather than the other way around), because you might shine the light into their dark little deluded heads and dispel their god against their will, then you'll just swat them aside like clingy little cobwebs, perhaps occasionally stopping to enlighten the few who seem teachable.

Your aggravation will turn to pity for those who simply don't understand (the clueless retrocephs), refutation for those who want to discuss (the chatty retrocephs), and revilement for those who merely troll (the spineless, inbred, halfwit, priest-molested retrocephs).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein