What's with all of these believers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2013, 11:52 AM
RE: What's with all of these believers?
(14-03-2013 11:27 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  But I get where EGross is coming from. When I first came to terms with my atheism (just last August), I sought out a "safe haven" where I could express myself, finally, without some self-appointed shepherd trying to lure me back into the fold. I had enough of that way of thinking to last a lifetime, and I'm at a point where I really don't need more of it. I need a little help moving away from that kind of thinking. I need the things you guys probably take for granted, having been at this so much longer.

I have no problem with this place and please understand that I am not sharing in the complaint. I just understand it, is all.

I understand it, too. I really didn't before I came to the interwebz... a life long atheist, I didn't actually know of anothers' struggle.

I do see the need for the average atheist to have a common place to bounce ideas off other rational people without turning up a god answer. However, this forum is here as a reflection of the world as it is and that includes the stupid shit beyond anyone's control.

If one is new to atheism ... this place won't kill you but it can make you stronger, if you stick around and learn something. Chances are... you'll learn about you and you'll find that's more important than some religion, certainly more important than someone's god.

Smile Welcome to the forum all yous N00bs.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2013, 11:56 AM
My response to them right now is to read what they have to say and watch you guys respond. I need to get a feel for the rules of this place, how the distinction between criticizing the poster v. criticizing the post is handled, etc. I've been a mod. It's a headache. I don't wish to create more work for people.
14-03-2013, 12:01 PM
I was a bit surprised when I listened to Seth's podcast with Matt Dillahunty. They were talking about how different Atheist/Freethought groups have different vibes. Seth said that TTA was a safe haven especially for new Atheists. I wondered if he had made that clear with the running of the forum. There are certainly times when theists have come on here and scared some new people. I has had me thinking a lot lately about what the forum is really about.
It didn't sound to me like Seth's vision included the bashing often unleashed by the theists that show up with an anti-Atheist agenda.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
14-03-2013, 12:08 PM
(14-03-2013 12:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I was a bit surprised when I listened to Seth's podcast with Matt Dillahunty. They were talking about how different Atheist/Freethought groups have different vibes. Seth said that TTA was a safe haven especially for new Atheists. I wondered if he had made that clear with the running of the forum. There are certainly times when theists have come on here and scared some new people. I has had me thinking a lot lately about what the forum is really about.
It didn't sound to me like Seth's vision included the bashing often unleashed by the theists that show up with an anti-Atheist agenda.
I get your viewpoint, but I'm a bit more of a "sink or swim" mentality myself. If a new atheist can be frightened off by a nasty theist, well, then maybe atheism isn't for them because they'll catch heat far more often in far more places than this little tiny corner of the internet. I dunno, maybe that's an American point of view since this is a Christian Nation, apparently - maybe atheists in more rational places aren't bombarded in real life they way we are here in the U.S.

What I am trying to say is that, for me, hanging out here has given me a new insight into myself, solidified my understanding of just what I believe and what I don't believe, and laid to rest any questions or doubts I had lingering about many things related to religions.

And almost all of that came from reading and participating in the theist vs. atheist threads - these more than anything else have helped me define myself today with more clarity and more insight than I ever did before.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
14-03-2013, 12:15 PM
AS, I think those are great points and certainly are shared by others.
I am thinking more of the people that aren't as strong and don't need to come here thinking they can ease their way into possibly coming out with their non-belief. For some there is nowhere in real life for them to go. I was just mentioning that Seth seems to have the vision that this is that place of safety. It often isn't.
Think of the people that sign on the first time and are greeted with an Egor rant or some of the others that have been so nasty and vile in their posts. I think Seth is all about the support people generally get here. I don't think his vision includes attacks...at least not based on the conversation he was having with Matt.
Just throwing it out there. I understand why someone new would want to know why there are theists here. In the same way we heathen Atheists get lumped together so do the believers.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks and hugs to all for your responses. I will be more selective with my posts and viewing in the future. It was just that sort of day, where if I saw one more cut and past about why god is cool, I was going to lose my instant lunchable. Big Grin

“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders
[+] 2 users Like EGross's post
14-03-2013, 12:52 PM
God is cool.

Me, I'm particularly fond of Quetzalcoatl. I mean, really, a flying feathered serpent with wings and a bad attitude, what's more cool than that? Well, maybe the same god but made out of pizza. Mmmm, pizza. Damn, now I'm hungry.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
14-03-2013, 01:10 PM
There will always be something someone doesn't quite "get" at first when joining a new forum. Thankfully there are people who put it out there on the forum like you, Egross. Honest feedback, encouragement to stay and a better understanding of how the forum works hopefully will incite not only you, but other newcomers to stay. To "get" what they didn't at first; a better understanding of the nook that is the forum. Yes

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
14-03-2013, 01:27 PM
(14-03-2013 12:08 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(14-03-2013 12:01 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I was a bit surprised when I listened to Seth's podcast with Matt Dillahunty. They were talking about how different Atheist/Freethought groups have different vibes. Seth said that TTA was a safe haven especially for new Atheists. I wondered if he had made that clear with the running of the forum. There are certainly times when theists have come on here and scared some new people. I has had me thinking a lot lately about what the forum is really about.
maybe atheism isn't for them because they'll catch heat far more often in far more places than this little tiny corner of the internet.

Pfffft! I spent 50 years as an atheist who was never bothered by religious folk (with exception of Jehova's witnesses coming to my door, and I can handle them, lol) until I came here.
Being atheist does not necessarily necessitate a thick skin.
I am very much in favor of Seth's "Safe Haven" for new atheists. People need to have somewhere to go to clear their head.
I don't usually see theists breaking into threads and messing with newbies though, and Ego, who did do that, seems to have given up (Yeah!).

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-03-2013, 01:42 PM
(14-03-2013 12:08 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  What I am trying to say is that, for me, hanging out here has given me a new insight into myself, solidified my understanding of just what I believe and what I don't believe, and laid to rest any questions or doubts I had lingering about many things related to religions.

And almost all of that came from reading and participating in the theist vs. atheist threads - these more than anything else have helped me define myself today with more clarity and more insight than I ever did before.
What he said ↑

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption